Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few KOMs I believe are at risk for getting toppled this season, and a few that will remain safely intact with their current owners. Not really a dick waving thread, since I don't own, or attempt to claim chance at beating any of them.

KOMs that won't be beat in 2014:

#1. suck it up ascent, NTM. Strava Segment | Suck It Up Ascent
I thought this was unbeatable until some high altitude beast took out the best local riders. nobody will best this KOM without a motorcycle.

#2. wack a mole at White ranch Strava Segment | WR "Whack-a-mole" Rock Garden
A shout out to the trials riders out there, this segment is a total PITA, especially if you are a road weenie looking for smooth ST. How anyone does this in 31 seconds is a mystery to me. I claim airborne drone.

#3. Walker Finale climb
Strava Segment | Walker Ranch CCW Finale Climb
nobody will clean this in under 8 minutes. impossible.

KOMs at risk:

#1. Apex upper decent from Lookout:
Strava Segment | Apex middle descent (to Hardscrabble)
with the recent sanitation at Apex, this one is sure to go this year.

#2. Falcon, lot to shelter.
Strava Segment | Mt Falcon To 1st Shelter
one of the most ridden FR rides, someone will topple this KOM set last summer, this summer.

# mayhem to cone loop
Strava Segment | Mahem Gulch Grinder - lot to 1st intersection
Matt Lyons owns too many KOMs around here. someone needs to take this one please.

any others out there? anyone know of the longest standing KOM on teh FR?

·
Registered
709 Posts
22 minutes up Falcon? Go **** yourself, that is ridiculous. You are a gorilla to do it without stopping for a rest but to gut check it like that.....

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
22 minutes up Falcon? Go **** yourself, that is ridiculous. You are a gorilla to do it without stopping for a rest but to gut check it like that.....
No kidding! It certainly won't be threatened by me, that's for sure! On a really good day, I can make it from bottom-lot to top-lot non-stop, but I sure hell don't give a damn about my time! I'm perfectly fine with throwing it in granny and going for no dabs, instead of a PR, every time...

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
Ugh, I'm in 19th on Suck it up/NTM now? Maybe someday I'll borrow a cross bike and see if I can't break back into the top 10.

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
Ugh, I'm in 19th on Suck it up/NTM now? Maybe someday I'll borrow a cross bike and see if I can't break back into the top 10.
The real question is why anyone would ride this segment more than once MAYBE twice a year, tops??!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The real question is why anyone would ride this segment more than once MAYBE twice a year, tops??!!
Ha. So true. I question why I decided to take thAt route every time I get 3/4 the way up. There is nothing remotely satisfying about that friggin stairway through helll

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Oh you were referring to the climbs/ascents. Let me know when getting KOMs on the down is of interest

:D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ken benesh is a cx racer from boulder not a high altitude beast

·
Formerly of Kent
12,206 Posts
Out of Reach: FoCo: Blue Sky South from Tunnel to Marker. If I can get with a minute of it, I'd be happy. I was top 5 when I last checked, but still the better part of two minutes off, over the course of ~11 minutes.
http://www.strava.com/segments/932362

Achievable: Loveland/Devil's Backbone: From DBB to the Blue Sky Tunnel. Offers a bit of everything. It's not too far out of reach, either.
http://www.strava.com/segments/4393381

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah, we should all be going for "The Full Belcher" KOM. 6.5mph seems very attainable. And with all the bright sun it will get in the next few months it should be easier to find the right line through the baby heads. Someone take that record DOWN!

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
Generally don't pay attention much but this one is not totally out of range. Currently in 12th. Now that I know where it actually starts and ends I know I'll give it another go.

Strava Segment | Dakota Descent (tree to zorro)

I don't stand a chance on uphills. In regards to the NTM fire road climb. Why would anyone do that when you can park of easly and ride, um, single track? I think maybe some of your skin suits are squeezing your nuts to tight and clouding your judgment. ;)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah, we should all be going for "The Full Belcher" KOM. 6.5mph seems very attainable. And with all the bright sun it will get in the next few months it should be easier to find the right line through the baby heads. Someone take that record DOWN!
It got taken down yesterday by Timmay

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,104 Posts
This is one of my favorite rides, (love/hate), my best time, ever, over the past 12 years is just a bit over twice that, as I age, I am not getting any faster for sure.

Anyone else remember Rex Patrick doing the climb in 31min with only one leg?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts