Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
201 - 220 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Following this thread got me to thinking about when I was a kid. My friends and I would jump on our bikes (BMX kids) and take off for the day without a water bottle, cash, spare tubes, patch kits, and no cell phone in those days. I do remember us making a few collect calls to our parents for rides or one guy sitting on the handlebars of another's holding his own bike to get back home. Man was it awesome.
But you all died tragic deaths!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
My friends and I used to spend our summer days like that too when we were kids. No preparation, no helmets, no communication with parents except for before we left and after we walked in the door for dinnertime. No real plan other than to ride bikes and do stuff outdoors all day.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
@Cary: Not to diminish what people choose to pack. 🙂 Just going forward on experience. Maybe I had the wrong brand. They both got sliced up immediately and were then almost useless. Any trash bag, hunk of Tyvek or UL tarp has to be way more durable.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
@Cary: Not to diminish what people choose to pack. 🙂 Just going forward on experience. Maybe I had the wrong brand. They both got sliced up immediately and were then almost useless. Any trash bag, hunk of Tyvek or UL tarp has to be way more durable.
I should open the one that has been in my pack and check. I would rather throw a couple of $ away than find out when needed I have a foil streamer. Thanks.

Reactions: She&I

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I should open the one that has been in my pack and check. I would rather throw a couple of $ away than find out when needed I have a foil streamer. Thanks.
Definitely do that if you're relying on it.
The thermal transfer on those things when it's wet out is terrible.

I played around with them for a couple of nights in my backpacking days. I don't think they do what people think they do.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cary

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,853 Posts
Why cary tools when all you need is an Awesome Strap!

·
CEO Product Failure
1,790 Posts
Regardless of who, where, and when, if I see a fellow mtb'r stopped on the trail, I always ask if they need anything. I believe this helpful attitude is/was unique to the mtb culture. Unfortunately, some cyclists refuse to wave or acknowledge other bicyclists. This helpful attitude is being diluted by the next generation of mtb'rs, which sucks.

To support all mtb'rs, last year our local mtb association started placing bright orange boxes throughout most of our local trail systems. The boxes contain tubes, tire levers, tools, patches, etc. I really appreciate the club doing this as it promotes the old "pay it forward" attitude of mountain bike, which I love.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Regardless of who, where, and when, if I see a fellow mtb'r stopped on the trail, I always ask if they need anything. I believe this helpful attitude is/was unique to the mtb culture. Unfortunately, some cyclists refuse to wave or acknowledge other bicyclists.
Most of the time when I ask someone if they're okay or if they need anything they respond graciously but a few times I've asked the person with the obviously disabled bike (upside down, loose chain, pack open, etc.) they've barely acknowledged me or just acted annoyed that I asked. What's that all about? Too focused on their problem to accept outside help? Not willing to admit that they have a problem? I have B.O.? I dunno.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,790 Posts
Most of the time when I ask someone if they're okay or if they need anything they respond graciously but a few times I've asked the person with the obviously disabled bike (upside down, loose chain, pack open, etc.) they've barely acknowledged me or just acted annoyed that I asked. What's that all about? Too focused on their problem to accept outside help? Not willing to admit that they have a problem? I have B.O.? I dunno.
The rider is probably just trying to contain their rage (focused at the mechanical not you) or they don't speak English (yes, that's happened to me as well).

Reactions: NoCanSurf and Nat

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also always ask if I see a rider stopped. Stopped recently to try to help a rider with a broken chain, asked me if I had pliers to help with the master link. I did, but it didn't matter - the guy's chain broke in 2 places, and he only had a single 11 speed quick link for an 8-speed cassette, was never going to fit. Two other riders there and between us we had one 12 speed quick link (my spare), and half of an 8-9-10 speed quick link (my friend's, who rides a 12 speed, don't ask lol). The guy was just about at the top his day, and could easily coast the fire road all the way back to his car, so we wished him luck and went on our way. He insisted that since he fixes cars for a living that he'd get it fixed. He was otherwise pleasant and appreciative so I didn't push it, but I wanted to ask how many cars he fixes without the proper tools or parts 😄. I've been seeing a fair number of riders on old bikes that looked to have been stuffed into a corner in the garage for years and just pulled out recently - this guy's example appeared to be one of those. He at least tried by buying that 11-speed quick link recently, but just didn't know which one he really needed. I did explain to him which one he needed and why, so hopefully he can get the right one along with a new chain!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also ride dirt bikes / ADV bikes, and the standing rule for group rides is, "don't show up without the tools & supplies to fix a flat. We won't do it for you, but will be happy to stand around and watch while shouting advice and cracking jokes." In reality we all lend tools, tubes, and hands, just want folks to be self-sufficient if it comes to it and not rely on everyone else.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I also always ask if I see a rider stopped. Stopped recently to try to help a rider with a broken chain, asked me if I had pliers to help with the master link. I did, but it didn't matter - the guy's chain broke in 2 places, and he only had a single 11 speed quick link for an 8-speed cassette, was never going to fit. Two other riders there and between us we had one 12 speed quick link (my spare), and half of an 8-9-10 speed quick link (my friend's, who rides a 12 speed, don't ask lol). The guy was just about at the top his day, and could easily coast the fire road all the way back to his car, so we wished him luck and went on our way. He insisted that since he fixes cars for a living that he'd get it fixed. He was otherwise pleasant and appreciative so I didn't push it, but I wanted to ask how many cars he fixes without the proper tools or parts 😄. I've been seeing a fair number of riders on old bikes that looked to have been stuffed into a corner in the garage for years and just pulled out recently - this guy's example appeared to be one of those. He at least tried by buying that 11-speed quick link recently, but just didn't know which one he really needed. I did explain to him which one he needed and why, so hopefully he can get the right one along with a new chain!
That story reminds me of the one time I regretted helping someone with a mechanical. A guy in our riding group (at the DH park) broke his chain. He said he had quick links at home but didn't bring any with him that day. Therefore, I offered my spare quick link to keep him riding. We fixed his chain, rolled down to the bottom (this was at a DH park so he really didn't need to pedal that final 1/2 mile to the base) and he announced that he was done for the day and was heading home.

Give me back my link, dammit.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I'll even pull over to help commuters and road cyclist on the side of the road as I always have my tools and a floor pump with me. I drive one of those white Ford "free candy" vans which elicits a range of responses.

I had a female cyclist in town literally not even turn around and acknowledge me whatsoever. I had a female cyclist on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere invite me back to a party at her cabin which turned out to be an awesome night...beautiful cabin on the Mackenzie River, something delicious on tap, farm raised ribeyes, and a handful of cool people. Another guy in the middle of nowhere, took multiple trips to my van to help him out, didn't say much, could tell he was nervous as hell every time I went to my van to grab something. People are funny.

Reactions: chazpat

·
since 4/10/2009
32,423 Posts
people don't have to be jerks about it accepting loaners, either. I think taking the quick link for the downhill was pretty lame.

I was riding a couple years ago with some friends, and one guy I occasionally ride with was on a loaner bike because his was busted and he was waiting for his new bike to arrive. The loaner bike had sealant that had dried out and he had a persistent leak that was causing problems. Since I keep a little bottle of Stan's in my pack, I gave that to him to get him rolling again. He went out of his way to get me a replacement. He knew where my wife worked, so he dropped one off there for me with a thank-you note.

Anytime he needs a hand, I'm going to help him out, even if he doesn't repay me after. Because I know he's going to be appreciative and he'll return the favor if I need it. The more people who express minimal thanks, at best, make it harder to go out of my way to donate supplies. I'll always loan tools and knowledge, but for stuff I'll have to replace....it brings up a grumpy little troll in the back of my mind and makes me assess the other person and the situation before deciding whether to give away parts.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I'll even pull over to help commuters and road cyclist on the side of the road as I always have my tools and a floor pump with me. I drive one of those white Ford "free candy" vans which elicits a range of responses.

I had a female cyclist in town literally not even turn around and acknowledge me whatsoever. I had a female cyclist on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere invite me back to a party at her cabin which turned out to be an awesome night...beautiful cabin on the Mackenzie River, something delicious on tap, farm raised ribeyes, and a handful of cool people. Another guy in the middle of nowhere, took multiple trips to my van to help him out, didn't say much, could tell he was nervous as hell every time I went to my van to grab something. People are funny.

Done the same and even given a few rides to people that have broken beyond roadside repair. Rather ironically, as DH guys are often considered a bit rude, I popped a tire on Livewire last weekend and had to walk down. Every single person going by asked if I was good.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
people don't have to be jerks about it accepting loaners, either. I think taking the quick link for the downhill was pretty lame.

I was riding a couple years ago with some friends, and one guy I occasionally ride with was on a loaner bike because his was busted and he was waiting for his new bike to arrive. The loaner bike had sealant that had dried out and he had a persistent leak that was causing problems. Since I keep a little bottle of Stan's in my pack, I gave that to him to get him rolling again. He went out of his way to get me a replacement. He knew where my wife worked, so he dropped one off there for me with a thank-you note.

Anytime he needs a hand, I'm going to help him out, even if he doesn't repay me after. Because I know he's going to be appreciative and he'll return the favor if I need it. The more people who express minimal thanks, at best, make it harder to go out of my way to donate supplies. I'll always loan tools and knowledge, but for stuff I'll have to replace....it brings up a grumpy little troll in the back of my mind and makes me assess the other person and the situation before deciding whether to give away parts.
I was always taught, if someone lends you something return it in as good or better shape than you received it. I try to stick to it. If you lend me your vehicle, it will come back with a full tank of gas and clean. Same with a bike, cleaned, lubed, and adjusted if something is a little off. I have been sorely disappointed with some people when I have lent things to them, but it tells you a bit about their character.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I hate to tell you Nat, but you have been a bit ripe lately.

201 - 220 of 314 Posts