Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 314 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts
I had one of those break mid ride on me. What a leg workout!!!
I once broke a seatpost bolt 9 miles into a 30 mile race. Didn’t have a spare bolt so rode the next 21 miles standing.

I thought about Cindy Whitehead the whole time.
=sParty

·
Registered
307 Posts
I once broke a seatpost bolt 9 miles into a 30 mile race. Didn’t have a spare bolt so rode the next 21 miles standing.

I thought about Cindy Whitehead the whole time.
=sParty
20 years ago a group of us rented bikes for an afternoon and went riding. Halfway through our ride one person’s saddle fell off and he had to complete the ride standing, he wasn’t too happy.

When we got back to the rental place he walked in, put the saddle on the counter and before he had a chance to say anything the guy in the store asked “what did you do with the rest of the bike?”!

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
I broke a quick release at the bottom of a long climb. One of those trails where you get your desert, then earn it too.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I was saved by Salt Pills from a riding friend early in my riding days. I was freezing up like a less attractive Greek statue.

I carry them on all my bikes and have never needed them since but hand them out often, particularly to people I've never ridden with.

That could be a life or death situation, even if all are trails are <2 miles from houses if you can't walk or ride and no one comes along it could be bad.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
“Blanket” is a bit disingenuous. They do work excellently for giving people assurance. Deploying one will make you realize you’re better off with light hard shell gear and a Bic.
Yep. I highly recommend anybody relying on a space blanket actually try one out for a night and see what they think.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: She&I

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
I was saved by Salt Pills from a riding friend early in my riding days. I was freezing up like a less attractive Greek statue.

I carry them on all my bikes and have never needed them since but hand them out often, particularly to people I've never ridden with.

That could be a life or death situation, even if all are trails are <2 miles from houses if you can't walk or ride and no one comes along it could be bad.
I carry these.
Liquid Fluid Cylinder Gas Service

In hot temps, I have to take them pre and every hour infra to avoid post ride debilitating hamstring cramping. They work for me 🙂 Over the years, I have given many to others who have been suffering. Not sure whether they worked or not but the thought was there.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
The hammer endurolytes are awesome. Heavily used on long rides, easy to carry, go down and stay down easy (which can be a good thing on really long rides).

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don’t give out anything that costs me money. Borrow my multi tool, help with directions, phone call etc I’m ok with. I also won’t work on your bike but I will tell you what you need to do to try to fix/bodge it. I would never expect someone to offer me food or parts to keep me going, that’s on me.

Yea I usually ride solo.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
“Blanket” is a bit disingenuous. They do work excellently for giving people assurance. Deploying one will make you realize you’re better off with light hard shell gear and a Bic.
I have no illusions about a space blanket being warm, but it will keep you dry and keep the wind from pulling the warm boundary layer away from you. Insulation exists all around in the woods, pine needles and leaves. They may not be comfortable and are dirty, but can be stuffed under a shirt for insulation.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
I have no illusions about a space blanket being warm, but it will keep you dry and keep the wind from pulling the warm boundary layer away from you. Insulation exists all around in the woods, pine needles and leaves. They may not be comfortable and are dirty, but can be stuffed under a shirt for insulation.
It's the same reason I carry a tarp on longer day hikes (same tarp I use backpacking).

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that no matter how well prepared you are, **** can happen. We had a member here that was on a ride with his family in Moab, whose daughter died of heatstroke. They knew the trail, they took proper supplies, they were experienced. If I remember correctly, a combination of a slightly late start time, it being a bit hotter than expected, and the daughter’s body not coping with heat that day resulted in a terrible tragedy.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
The only thing worse than a space blanket is no space blanket.
Yep. It is a last resort. I typically carry a light shell unless it it mid summer with no chance of rain and reasonably warm overnight temperatures.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The same thing can be said for a garbage bag, and those are cheaper, lighter, and less bulky than a space blanket. When I used to be into ultra distance trail running I would carry a black garbage bag with pre-cut arm and neck holes. You can use those on the run as well as when hunkering down.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
The same thing can be said for a garbage bag, and those are cheaper, lighter, and less bulky than a space blanket. When I used to be into ultra distance trail running I would carry a black garbage bag with pre-cut arm and neck holes. You can use those on the run as well as when hunkering down.
Have done the garbage bag trick for my son when got hailed on at northstar and had to ride down. The space blanket is folded up smaller and in a plastic wrapper. They are literally 2x3" and less than 1/4" thick.

Reactions: She&I

·
Registered
307 Posts
I carry these.
View attachment 1948275
In hot temps, I have to take them pre and every hour infra to avoid post ride debilitating hamstring cramping. They work for me 🙂 Over the years, I have given many to others who have been suffering. Not sure whether they worked or not but the thought was there.
Last year I started using Nuun sport tablets, in one of my water bottles. I tend to have drink at the top of each climb and use plain water other than that.

I just recently started using Tailwind on some rides, especially evening rides between work and dinner, electrolytes and calories.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Following this thread got me to thinking about when I was a kid. My friends and I would jump on our bikes (BMX kids) and take off for the day without a water bottle, cash, spare tubes, patch kits, and no cell phone in those days. I do remember us making a few collect calls to our parents for rides or one guy sitting on the handlebars of another's holding his own bike to get back home. Man was it awesome.

181 - 200 of 314 Posts