Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what the deal is, but I've run into so many people this year that are massively unprepared for riding and taking care of themselves. I've had to give people food and let them use my phone because they were bonking and needed a pickup. I let a guy who's shifter was literally hanging off his handlebar use my tools because neither him or his buddy had a single thing with them besides a water bottle. After dumping out my tool kit and saving their ass, they promptly tried to recruit me to their church (**** off sirs). Recently I had to give away an entire water bottle to a guy who went out into the desert when it was supposed to be 110 degrees with 1 bottle and he was suffering pretty hard. I ultimately ended up suffering because I ran out.

These are just some more major ones, but I'm forever giving away tubes, plugs, food and water... You name it.

If I'm being completely honest it's getting annoying. I'm pretty close to just telling people that I don't have any extra anything.

Learn to sustain yourself. Stop relying on others to have consumables for YOUR bike and YOUR body.

·
GONE
26,024 Posts
"Mountain biking" got more attention during the closure periods of the pandemic. It became a trendy thing to do since we were extremely limited by restrictions. Perhaps those who you have had to help are those who would never have otherwise considered this activity if their lives had not been limited by the closures during the pandemic.

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Mountain biking" got more attention during the closure periods of the pandemic. It became a trendy thing to do since we were extremely limited by restrictions. Perhaps those who you have had to help are those who would never have otherwise considered this activity if their lives had not been limited by the closures during the pandemic.
Possibly. Not sure I would accept that as an excuse though. I carried stuff to fix a flat when I first started riding. It's kind of common sense. I'm never grumpy about giving people stuff, it's just been so excessive this past year that I'm starting to get slightly annoyed.

·
No known cure
4,480 Posts
It's not just with newbs. I've handed out tubes during long practice runs like the Downiville DH and the Ashland 12 mile Super D. I told one to buy two tubes in town and find me. The other to find me and buy me a beer. She scowled at me, but I didn't bring all my crap with me to race ten hours away and then be a free service depleting my stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure what the deal is, but I've run into so many people this year that are massively unprepared for riding and taking care of themselves. I've had to give people food and let them use my phone because they were bonking and needed a pickup. I let a guy who's shifter was literally hanging off his handlebar use my tools because neither him or his buddy had a single thing with them besides a water bottle. After dumping out my tool kit and saving their ass, they promptly tried to recruit me to their church (**** off sirs). Recently I had to give away an entire water bottle to a guy who went out into the desert when it was supposed to be 110 degrees with 1 bottle and he was suffering pretty hard. I ultimately ended up suffering because I ran out.

These are just some more major ones, but I'm forever giving away tubes, plugs, food and water... You name it.

If I'm being completely honest it's getting annoying. I'm pretty close to just telling people that I don't have any extra anything.

Learn to sustain yourself. Stop relying on others to have consumables for YOUR bike and YOUR body.
People are so different. All you can do is help the poor bastards. I ride with some that still do not have shock or regular pumps. They have ridden way longer than me. Blows my mind.

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People are so different. All you can do is help the poor bastards. I ride with some that still do not have shock or regular pumps. They have ridden way longer than me. Blows my mind.
Yea it sucks. I don't want to tell people no to food and water if they're suffering that bad, but it sucks because it leaves me in a pickle. I either have to risk running out myself or carry a bunch of extra crap just in case. With tubes and tools I'm about to just start telling people sorry about your luck. If you can't be bothered to at a bare minimum carry a tube and tool, then you can walk back to your car.

·
Class Clown
3,341 Posts

I can see why they were recruiting you, you're like biker Jesus.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mountain biking is enjoyed by people and a majority of people are unprepared, for everything. Think of how you have bailed out people at work or school.

I feel your pain. My Camelback was getting so heavy because of all the items I packed in it in preparation for what may arise. I would help the unprepared as well. But then I found myself helping my friends as well. They would only bring water in a ride because they knew I was packing.

Going back to the majority of people being unprepared, sometimes it's naivete. Sometimes it's rolling the dice that nothing bad has happened in the past and likely won't happen now. Sometimes it's the reliance of someone always there to bail them out. Family bails them out at home. Coworkers bail them out at work. Government bails them out with social/economic programs. The 911 system bails them out medically, and so on. They've never had to plan for any contingencies because they've never experienced any.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see why they were recruiting you, you're like biker Jesus.
I definitely don't look like the church type ... Which may be why they were trying to save my soul I guess lol.

Just seemed incredibly douchey. "Hey thanks for interrupting your ride to help us, btw come to our church so we can ask you for money".

·
No known cure
4,480 Posts
I think some people just need to suffer a bit to learn a lesson. If you keep helping them they'll never end up learning.
Back in the late 80s, Mountain Bike Action told me I could stuff the tire with grass. LOL, yeah right. I've carried a tube and patch kit since after that walk out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"It's kind of common sense."

Common sense isn't so common. I teach and see the way young people are being taught that there are no consequences for anything in school. Many have the same thing at home was well, so if they ever learn to take care of themselves, it will only be when those around them either stop or are unable to continue doing it.

I didn't have a great childhood and grew up resenting it. Looking back, I'm glad I had it rough because I learned to take care of myself and be independent.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My friend rides with a backpack full of stuff, including a beach towel. I'm not kidding. When asked, he says he says it's just in case we decided to stop at the beach and go for a swim. Living in Hawaii, that's possibility.

Ironically, about a month ago he had a real blowout. Sounded like gun shot. Turns out he didn't have a spare tube. It wouldn't have helped as the tire and tube were destroyed, but it made me laugh (not out loud, as that would have been rude.) We were close to the cars (1/4 mile) so I finished the ride and jumped in the car and went to pick him up. That's what friends do right.

Made me wonder what he carries and doesn't carry in his giant backpack. Beach towel, check. Spare tube, nope. I wouldn't be surprised if he carried a can opener, but not a multitool. I don't try to understand him.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,672 Posts
Lol @ church....

Yeah I wonder if it's new folks etc. I've had to give food, water, tubes, and lend tools.

One time ran into a couple (first date maybe?), it was dark, and they were pushing their bikes(no lights etc). They got lost, turned around, they were 10 miles from vehicle. I got them back to the road with spare light and got them back to their vehicle. Girl was about to cry

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Rode Mag7 in Moab last weekend. Kept leap frogging a couple guys throughout the ride. At the entrance to Portal, they had ran out of water and was asking our group for some. We didn't give them any as all of us had only a few drops left in our packs to make it back to town, but we had loaded up to the brim with water when we started. I've ridden that trail many times before so know how hot and long it can be.
The reason they ran out of water was one guy had a small fanny pack that might had carried 20oz and the other a camelback with maybe 1.5ltr max. Both were wearing sweaters 😂
One of them was on a rental had his crank arm fall off earlier in the ride. Luckily for them they were ahead of us when that happened so when we came upon them, I was to put it back together for them to finish the ride.
Another time came upon a group of 4 that one of them had a broken chain. None of them had a chain breaker or quick link. I was able to reinsert the pin with my chain breaker and told him to not shift on their way back to the parking lot.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts