Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know he cheated ... the other cheaters. He just cheated better and didn't get caught. The mans passion, his story, his commitment to fighting cancer will always make him something special IMO.

Do do yourself a favor and go back rewatch some of those tours. Frickin amazing, doped or not ....

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I never really was a fan of Lance while he was a racer and I always suspected him of doping but now all these years later I have a bit more respect for him. It is fun to watch some of those old races and to be honest he had a huge impact on me as a young American cyclist. He owned up to it, not really sure what his punishment was though other than being stripped of his victories.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Anyone who thinks what he did is cheating knows nothing about the history of road cycling. Lance Armstrong is innocent of everything except lying about what everyone knew he was doing and they were doing themselves. He has even challenged anyone who rode with him at the time to answer a simple question: did he win because he "cheated" or because he was better than them. AS far as I know, 100% of the answers have been the latter.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,623 Posts
Anyone who thinks what he did is cheating knows nothing about the history of road cycling. Lance Armstrong is innocent of everything except lying about what everyone knew he was doing and they were doing themselves. He has even challenged anyone who rode with him at the time to answer a simple question: did he win because he "cheated" or because he was better than them. AS far as I know, 100% of the answers have been the latter.
just because everybody else was doing it doesn't mean he wasn't still cheating (or that everybody wasn't still cheating).

Regardless, I'd hold a different opinion of him if he handled the situation better. My opinion of him has little to do with the fact that he was the best cheater among cheaters, but rather with how he behaved once he was caught. He got nasty, and it wasn't pretty.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
He wasn’t just cheating, he was the ringleader, pressuring and intimidating others, destroying others, threatening and so on. There’s a lot more to it than cheating if you care to do the research. That said, we also have to be able to move on at some point and everyone should get a chance to turn themselves around.

Reactions: life behind bars

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I gotta admit that road racing was way more interesting and exciting back then with the rivalries and doping scandals. It was the "wild west". It (especially Lance) did a heck of a lot for the popularity of cycling in this county. Now it's gotten pretty boring and tedious. For me as a spectator and enthusiast it's much less interesting. I wouldn't vilify Lance any more than I would any of the others back then.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If Armstrong’s response to the people telling the truth about him had just been “They are mistaken”, I would have a little more respect for the guy. He didn’t do that. He tried to ruin the lives of people who dared to speak the truth about him. That’s why he will never be The Man, IMO.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
He wasn't just cheating, he was the ringleader, pressuring and intimidating others, destroying others, threatening and so on. There's a lot more to it than cheating if you care to do the research. That said, we also have to be able to move on at some point and everyone should get a chance to turn themselves around.
^^^This. If it was simply a matter of him doping and doing it better than everyone else...ok...whatever. It's all the other stuff that happened that destroyed his reputation.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
The people who's lives he "ruined" were in his circle. He's done nothing to me for me to have a good reason to hold a grudge. He was an athlete and an entertainer and he provided years of entertainment, not to mention the $$$ raised for cancer research. He cheated, and if you were that ignorant to not suspect he was doping then I don't know what to tell you.

·
Combat Wombat
1,863 Posts
^^^This. If it was simply a matter of him doping and doing it better than everyone else...ok...whatever. It's all the other stuff that happened that destroyed his reputation.
Exactly. His determination and drive was amazing, but he proved to be a grade A a$$hole in his desire to ruin more than a few people.

Watched this video a million times many years ago...

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
Many exceptional people are a-wholes. That doesn't change the fact that they are exceptional. I don't have to vouch for his morals to admire his accomplishments on the bike and on the many tours he dominated.

·
May The Force Be With You
2,591 Posts
he's a disgrace to himself, his family, the sport and most importantly, the Country... he is a dirtbag

·
since 4/10/2009
34,623 Posts
Many exceptional people are a-wholes. That doesn't change the fact that they are exceptional. I don't have to vouch for his morals to admire his accomplishments on the bike and on the many tours he dominated.
Shady sports accomplishments do not excuse being shitty to others.

Too many people are shitty to others.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Why Lance Armstrong Still Matters. $470 million. That is the amount of money the Lance Armstrong Foundation has raised since 1997 to help people in the fight against cancer. The Foundation has helped 2.5 million cancer survivors with free patient navigation services

1 - 20 of 280 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.