Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This bike deserves it's own thread.

Here's the latest Wolfhound that was displayed at the Handmade bike show. This particular creation employs some unique bits courtesy of Bob D. The eccentric dropouts and extra wide BB w/pressed in Phil Wood bearings were all carefully handcrafted by Bob.

The fork was made by Sacha White (Vanilla).

Sitting on the bike, it felt quite familiar. That's because the #'s and angles are almost a carbon copy of my Jones.

It will be interesting to see how these new pieces hold up in the dirt.

I really, really like this bike. The attention to detail is outstanding.

Attachments

G

·
That bike's got FLOW!

Wolfhound, Coconino, Bohemian, and Badger are the builders I strive to be 1/10th as good as, at laying down sick, sick fillets...

Thanks for sharing

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Nice pics, Aquaholic. I spent some time talking with Fred there yesterday, and am very impressed with the workmanship on those bikes. Hmmm... Ashland is not that far of a drive for me. If the bucks work out for me to get a NICE 29'er later this year, it would be cool to head up there with a box full of new parts, pick up the frame, build it and then head to Bend for a few days to shake it down :eek:) The show was great and there were a ton of different 29'ers. I liked the Titus RacerX Ti 29'er too....

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Effects of the axle design on geometry?

As an eccentric bottom bracket can affect the pedal to saddle relationship, I wonder how this set up might affect seat tube and head tube angles. It seems that you could vary those angles slightly by the choice of axle posistioning in the "dropout". I think this is an interesting side effect of this design choice.

Regardless, it's certainly a stunning bike.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Beautiful stuff.

I wonder if braking forces could hose things up as it appears as though the rear brake mount is part of the LH EDO. Does the one bolt that fixes the EDO's position also serve to bear the torque created by the brake?

These Wolfhounds are naughty beasts.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Seet looking ride

What's the material used for that frame? I ask as they seem to have gone to great extents to hide the welds to really give the frame flow. Don't know if they've done it ALA C'dale and ground down the welds and then filled them - not a fan of this method at all, Like to see how the welds look on a bike as this gives you an idea of the quality. Beautiful bike though, must have been an interesting show to say the least.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,674 Posts
It's steel...

LyNx said:
What's the material used for that frame? I ask as they seem to have gone to great extents to hide the welds to really give the frame flow. Don't know if they've done it ALA C'dale and ground down the welds and then filled them - not a fan of this method at all, Like to see how the welds look on a bike as this gives you an idea of the quality. Beautiful bike though, must have been an interesting show to say the least.
Fillet brazed. Brass flows pretty nicely under the torch of a skilled brazer, but there probably was some finishing sanding/ filing done. Very different from the Cannondale grinding.

Los

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
LyNx said:
I am pretty sure the Wolfhound is steel and the "welds" are actually brass fillets which if done well require very little fettling after to smooth off as you can chase the brass round the join with the torch as you make the fillet leaving a smooth transition AND a strong join :thumbsup:

Alex

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
jncarpenter said:
Did you get to ride the animal?
Nope..I didn't get to ride it. I did sling a leg over it, though. As a matter of fact.... neither Bob, nor Fred had anytime to ride it. The bike had the finishing touches put on it literally hours before the show.

Bob did call me last night as he was finally able to ride the bike back to the hotel after the show. Perhaps he'll give us a ride report after he gets back to Michigan?

I was able to take Fred's personal orange bike out for a bit of urban assault. I played around on some stairs and hopped off a few things. But, it was more or less a parking lot ride so it's not fair to comment on it.

Here's a few more Wolf pics.

Note the stark contrast of the BB area on the orange bike with a conventional BB shell. On Bob's bike the wishbone has substantially wider legs. It's got to be mo stiff, laterally!

Ohh...the frame is indeed steel...fillet brazed.

BTW, yanking the rear wheel out is no more time consuming , nor difficult, than a bike sporting funbolts.

Attachments

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,200 Posts
True.... but....

Guitar Ted said:
As an eccentric bottom bracket can affect the pedal to saddle relationship, I wonder how this set up might affect seat tube and head tube angles. It seems that you could vary those angles slightly by the choice of axle posistioning in the "dropout". I think this is an interesting side effect of this design choice.

Regardless, it's certainly a stunning bike.
My take on mountain biking and saddle to pedal ratio is that you're standing so much on a mountain bike (or maybe should/shouldn't.... depending) that I almost never notice it. Occationally, if I've spun it a different direction, I might notice a change in how often my pedal strikes or something, but overall, I guess it's all singlespeeding to me.

Slightly changing your geometery could be interesting. However, with shocks & fully's, scissor-nut-cutter seat posts, etc. seemingly being the 'norm' anymore, does it really matter? I'm just asking.

I guess I mean on a road bike (yes, I said the dirty word) you sit for hours in nearly the same position. On a mountain bike, you're up/down/up/down/sideways, etc. (rinse & repeat) unless you're doing the Trans-Iowa so it just seems kind of not really an issue. Of course, it could be me that has issues.

I'm going to lurk again for awhile.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Sick!

Aquaholic said:
BobDe was pretty innovative with his ideas. I remember getting pictures of his first 'samples' of the EDO. The finished product is fantastic. I love the concept of the pressed BB bearings too.

Fred does some sick frame building.. If I was to build another steel rig he would be on the top of a very short list (and I would be on the bottom of a very long one)

I love the JJ geometry. laid back angles and zero compromises. I think you guys really hit it out of the park with this one.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Dope

Yeah, silly me forgot "steel is real!" :p Was reading the other thread about the show and saw pics posted by jncarpenter of said bike and it looks even nicer raw than painted IMHO - well almost, it's real nice to see quality welds like that.

sslos said:
Fillet brazed. Brass flows pretty nicely under the torch of a skilled brazer, but there probably was some finishing sanding/ filing done. Very different from the Cannondale grinding.

Los

1 - 20 of 32 Posts