Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to help with the BYU mountain biking class once or twice a year. Yesterday they were on Gooseberry. It's always fun riding with this group. Experience ranges from very little on up to expert level riders, but everyone has lots of enthusiasm.

I only took a few pictures. Here's one of the professors doing the rattlesnake climb on his hardtail 29er.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Loads of Turners

Counting mine, there were at least 6 Turners on Gooseberry yesterday. I saw one guy on a RFX front triangle, 5 spot rear frankenbike, two women from San Deigo on 5.5 Spots (they are friends of Aquaholic, small world), another woman with a 5 spot (her husband was riding a rigid 29er singlespeed, said he chose that over his 5 spot for the ride which may qualify him as mentally disturbed) and a big, blue Highline leaving the parking lot on the back of a truck as I came in who might have been El Chingon's, I didn't get a good look at the driver.

I stopped to visit with the two women from SD and said "wow, lots of Turners." They misheard me and said, "yeah, it's pretty twisty up to here, but the trail straightens out now for a while." I had to point to the bike's downtubes to show what Turners I was talking about.

Best of all, I came home to find a package on the front porch. Now all I need is my fork. I rode a Manitou Minute 120 mm fork at Interbike and decided a TA Minute is what I want, but I haven't found a source for it yet. Hope they will be available soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Bonus points for the dog on the couch. A dog that matches the couch, no less! Is there some roadie blood lurking in you somewhere?! ;)

A guy I've ridden with many years ago, Keith Fritz (?) teaches a mountain biking class as Mesa State or University in GJ. What a life.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Bob- do they push armor as a concept in their offroad biking instruction? The prof looks like an xc-type. Just wondering if they push pads or not.

Turner may as well relocate to SW Utah. It would really cut down on shipping costs.

Nice frame! I was tempted by the Manipoo (never thought I'd say that again), but will put the DUC through its paces and see where that leads. Whatever you do, when it comes to wheelbuilding time, make them STIFF. High, wide flanges, lots of thick spokes.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cactuscorn said:
professor of mountain biking. now theres a title thats sure to get ya laid.
In theory, no. This is at BYU. :)

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
tscheezy said:
Bob- do they push armor as a concept in their offroad biking instruction? The prof looks like an xc-type. Just wondering if they push pads or not.
No pads on anyone, though that is a really good idea with novices on Goose.

One last postscript. Yesterday we did a JEM trail medium loop, cutting off the Hurricane Rim at Chinatown Wash, up the road to the corrall, then the upper Gould's Rim Singletrack and back down the full JEM descent. My friend with the Sultan came along and one of his son's rode his old XCE, so there were 3 Turners on yesterday's ride.

Attachments

·
Homer's problem child
1,320 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
In theory, no. This is at BYU. :)
Hmmmm BYU, Lets think about this.

Pros:
College credit for mountain biking +1 point
Living close to American Fork and the trails there +1 point
Knowing everyone but your kind is going to hell or a lesser heaven +1 point
Clean living +1 point
Having to spend 1-2 years riding a bike sharing your religion with others +1 point

Cons:
Living in Provo -1 point
Being ranked most stone sober college campus -1 point (I thought part of going to college was making mistakes and learning from them :confused: )
Having to spend 1-2 years sharing your religion with others that may not want to hear it -1 point
No post riding beer, only decaffeinated soda, water or juice -1 point
Chaffing caused by holy undergarments under lycra -1 point, not sure how comfortable they are as I'm a sinning gentile. (Or do they make holy undergarments with the shammy sewn in?)
No pre-marital sex -1 point (being bad is soooo good sometimes ;) )
No riding, skiing, watching football etc.... on Sundays -1 point

Guess it's not for me. But it doesn't all look bad. :thumbsup:

B

***WARNING*** The above statment contains humor at the expense of the majority religion in Utah, those with thin skin or poor senses of humor are advised to not have read it.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Bob, that was me rolling out, just as you were rolling in. I was showing a group of 12 Orange County riders the goods. I took them to Prospector/Church Rocks on Saturday. Good times. I gotta say, I prefer the Highline to the RFX out on Goose. I cleaned every climb in the joint, with a little more forgiving suspension for the drops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts