Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
the wrench
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
universal cyclist/trail user frs emergency chanel (channel 6 sub channel 10)

after reading another members post about frs walkie talikies it gave me an idea. esentially we establish an unformal cyclist/trail user emergency channelon the frs band. this way it would be safer if you were to go out solo and become demobilized for whatever reason. then as long as someone else has their radio on and listning to that channel just incase of such an event they can be contacted for help, weather its another cyclist that helps or he/she gets help from another source, ie. park rangers.

i will have to say this once again that this channel is for emergency use only and not to use it for trying to see if there is someone else there just for the heck of it or for communicating with youre group durring a ride! i say this because if this channel gets used for other purposes than emergencies then people are just going to turn it off because they will be bothered unnessarilly durring a ride for something thats not an emergency.
NOTE: this channel can be use for warnings such as a bear, mountain lion sighting etc..

the channel to be used for this emergency listen in is channel 6 sub channel 10.
(revised to 6,10 for gmrs compatability 5/1/04)

rember to carry youre frs radio whenever you ride even if its with a group because it could help save someone elses life and even your own.

***moderators***
please make this a sticky
 

·
Turner Homer
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
garboui said:
after reading another members post about frs walkie talikies it gave me an idea. esentially we establish an unformal cyclist/trail user emergency channelon the frs band. this way it would be safer if you were to go out solo and become demobilized for whatever reason. then as long as someone else has their radio on and listning to that channel just incase of such an event they can be contacted for help, weather its another cyclist that helps or he/she gets help from another source, ie. park rangers.

i will have to say this once again that this channel is for emergency use only and not to use it for trying to see if there is someone else there just for the heck of it or for communicating with youre group durring a ride! i say this because if this channel gets used for other purposes than emergencies then people are just going to turn it off because they will be bothered unnessarilly durring a ride for something thats not an emergency.
NOTE: this channel can be use for warnings such as a bear, mountain lion sighting etc..

the channel to be used for this emergency listen in is channel 12 sub channel 10.

rember to carry youre frs radio whenever you ride even if its with a group because it could help save someone elses life and even your own.

***moderators***
please make this a sticky
But the only thing that you have to think about with frs is the power output of them. Most of the smaller radios only could go 2.5 miles(line of sight)and some of the trails that some of us ride are more than that , and there would have to be someone near by in that range. But I think that they would be very good for heavely populated areas where there may be more than one or two bikers on the trail, but they wouldn't be really all that good for people like me who ride by myself, or at times ride with one or two people at once. So it sounds like a very good idea to set up a emergency specific channel, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, because I haven't used frs radio's in a long time. Theses are my two cents.
Dave
 

·
the wrench
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even though they dont have a great range it would still be better than nothing. i have had them work up to 6km non line of sight on fresh batteries. i as well ride alone alot but even though there may be 10 other cars in the parking lot i can still ride 30km and not pass anyoune but that doesnt nessarily mean that theres no noe close enough to pick up signal. even if i dont see anyone i will sometimes hear people on winding or parallel trails.
 

·
Turner Homer
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
garboui said:
even though they dont have a great range it would still be better than nothing. i have had them work up to 6km non line of sight on fresh batteries. i as well ride alone alot but even though there may be 10 other cars in the parking lot i can still ride 30km and not pass anyoune but that doesnt nessarily mean that theres no noe close enough to pick up signal. even if i dont see anyone i will sometimes hear people on winding or parallel trails.
You've got a good point there that it is better than nothing, because you could get in a bad accident and someone could just be scanning and hear your calls for help. I also have been thinking for a while to take my 2 meter ham radio for awhile, but it is kind of big. Peace
Dave
 

·
the wrench
Joined
·
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shiggy said:
The GMRS radios do not have 12.10
almost all frs radios have 12 10

whats gmrs i am having trouble putting the acronym to the device?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Channel 10?

I was skiing on the backside of Heavenly, the Nevada side, and was trying to contact my kids who took a side trip into Mott's Canyon (there's some excellent skiing in Mott's). We were using channel 10, with no sub channel, on some old Motorola FRS radios, with 14 channels and no sub-channels.

The Carson City police came on the channel and gave us $hit for using channel 10. Smokey told us that channel 10 is for emergencies only, and told us in no uncertain terms to get off that channel.

So, is looks like, at least in the Carson City area, they use FRS channel 10, for emergencies already.

old_dude
 

·
Turner Homer
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
b
old_dude said:
I was skiing on the backside of Heavenly, the Nevada side, and was trying to contact my kids who took a side trip into Mott's Canyon (there's some excellent skiing in Mott's). We were using channel 10, with no sub channel, on some old Motorola FRS radios, with 14 channels and no sub-channels.

The Carson City police came on the channel and gave us $hit for using channel 10. Smokey told us that channel 10 is for emergencies only, and told us in no uncertain terms to get off that channel.

So, is looks like, at least in the Carson City area, they use FRS channel 10, for emergencies already.

old_dude
If some of you remember cb radio I remember that when I was a kid, I remember getting on channel nine, and someone getting on and saying not to use that channel, and it is only for emergency use only. But I don't think that this channel is used for this anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
dtrek4500 said:
bIf some of you remember cb radio I remember that when I was a kid, I remember getting on channel nine, and someone getting on and saying not to use that channel, and it is only for emergency use only. But I don't think that this channel is used for this anymore.

I think it still is, but used mostly by truckers.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top