Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up, i've flown international with bikes a few times and found out today that United Airlines are as of Dec 01 charging $200 for a bike box regardless of weight or ticketing airlines guidelines.

My ticket is purchased through Air New Zealand for which i am well under weight restrictions, but has a connection serviced in partnership with United.

Normally provided the bike box is under 50lbs i've never had any charge.

Today United informed me i had to pay $200. not happy.

they changed rules Dec 01, well after i bought my ticket.

rather pissed off.. :madmax:

m

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Bummer....

Wonder what is going to happen to all those MTB trips now. I suppose I will spend the additional 1/2 hour and break the bike down completely so it can fit in a large duffel bag. Only problem will not be the wheelset which will have the tires taken off and fit in a 261/2 in box.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got a pretty funny story. I was in Taipei for work in October and decided to bring back a Giant carbon road bike knowing fully it was a great deal even if i had to pay the airline bike charge and any US customs duties.

My scheduled return flight on United was cancelled the day before I was suppose to leave. I immediately called United to see how I could get home and they gave me an option to fly China Airlines (a non-star alliance partner) instead if I could make the next flight out in 4 hours. I scrambled to pack and made it to the airport where the United person was to meet me and walk me to the China Airlines counter.

Once at the China Airlines counter, they said NO to the bike box. I looked at the United rep with a "come on give me a break" look, she said something to the China Airlines rep in Taiwanese and........no charge for the bike box. :thumbsup:

I claimed $700 in bike parts on the custom's form. :rolleyes: The last checkpoint before I was out of the airport, the custom's guy asks me "what's in the box, a plasma tv?" and i said no its a bike. He let me go without paying any extra duty on the bike.

I like happy endings. ;) :eek:

·
fliernh
348 Posts
I don't fly United any more. They seem to be the leaders in screwing their customers and I choose to not give them business any more. I encourage others to do the same.

For domestic travel with bikes, I have been using FedEx and finding them very cost effective and dependable. ALWAYS take pictures of the packing and insure for full amount. Use a plastic bike box, not a used cardboard one........

·
fliernh
348 Posts
I shipped my road bike in a Tricot Iron Case from New Hampshire to Indiana for under $60. Packed it up at home, printed shipping label, dropped off at FedEx location and put it together at my brother's house for our trip. Reversed it at the end. Works great.

I have not had the same luck with UPS. They seem to always come back and want to charge more after the bike is shipped. I weigh and measure and they always seem to come back with something different. Does not happen with FedEx so they get my business. I have also shipped to a bike shop in the destination town after calling them and letting them know it was coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
next time i won't bother boxing my bike.

for $200 i'll just buy my bike a seat on the plane.

ride it down the aerobridge onto to plane and strap it into the seat next to me. :thumbsup:

i herein boycott united... they can suck my ......

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We flew Air Canada this past October from Toronto to Denver.
They charged us $50 each way for a bike box which I thought was reasonable.
There were nine of us and all the bikes got to there destinations in good shape.
I can't complain.
We are planning more of these trips.I hope the prices don't change.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
We're planning a trip to Moab, and thinking about biking for 3 days. Even at $50 each way for shipping, I think I'm better off just renting something for 3 days at $75 each day. Then I don't have to worry about packing the bike; I don't have to worry about it getting lost/damaged. The rental shop will make sure the bike is tuned up and ready to go for when I get there :)

Cheers,

Ming

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Once you get there you may regret only staying three days.
From denver we drove to the grand junction/ fruita area and biked there for a day then on to moab where we biked 5 out of our 6 days there.then back to fruita for one more ride and then home.
So it was worthwhile for us to bring our own bikes plus the rental bikes will never be the same as what your used to.
But if 3 days is all you got then you may have a good point.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Renting is better than nothing..but it's just not the same without your own bike though...kinda personal attachment thing.. a rider and their bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.