Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new Spot hubbed rear wheel, which came with the cool octagonal spacer. Problem is, the spacer doesnt fit my '03 Unit dropouts. Do I need to scrape/shave/file it to fit, or is there a different one (spacer) out there to be had somewhere?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Spot has different octagonal spacers so you might need the smaller one. I am using that hub on a 03 Unit as well with a Spot Rocket chain tensioner on the drive side but right now not having the bike in front of me I can't remember what I was running on the none drive side. Spot does make a smaller round spacer as well. One thing I discovered about the Spot spacers is that some time you need file down the lip that actually slides into the drop out or sometimes they will bottom out on the hub and you won't be able to get the wheel as tight as you might want. Life would be boring without a little problem solving.

El Juano said:
I just picked up a new Spot hubbed rear wheel, which came with the cool octagonal spacer. Problem is, the spacer doesnt fit my '03 Unit dropouts. Do I need to scrape/shave/file it to fit, or is there a different one (spacer) out there to be had somewhere?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You said 2003 Unit

El Juano

03 Unit's have horizontal dropouts and that is why I am running the Rocket tensioner. You must have a 04 or 05 with the new sliding dropout. Either way you can get a smaller spacer from Spot if needed, or just creative with a file or grinder.

Happyboy

El Juano said:
So wait, you are running a tensioner also? Why for?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bmx tensioner

El Juano said:
Okay, you have me all twisted. I have the 03, with the horizontals. Why does this need the tensioner? Everything is SS specific, so I gotta ask...
I also have a 03 unit w/horizonals, the spot tensioner that he is running is a bmx style tensioner which pulls the axle back in the dropout and keeps the chain tight. I run a redline chain tensioner, also called a chain tug, like the surly tugnut, but w/ the redline tensioner, I had to saw it in half and file the edges, so it would fit into the smaller sub11 style horizontal dropouts, as apposed to longer bmx style dropouts like on a redline monocog. A bmx style tugnut or tensioner is a good addition to a horizonal dropout like on our 03 units cause it pretty much eliminates the chance of the rear wheel slipping in the dropout and dropping a chain under high torque loads, like when climbing or sprinting.
hope this help you out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Spot ss and I also use a rocket tensioner on the dive side, because the drive side can move under a load. On the other side I have an octagon nut. The only problem I have had with Spots hubs is the rear hub starts to knock and have to change the rear hub bearings, I seem to go through a set of cartridge bearing once a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.