Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out it was last night. It wasnt that car... was another one so not the one up rack. Turns out it fell off the rack and when they went back for it they couldnt find it. They did see an SUV slow or possibly stop or something so possibly someone picked it up...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
Interesting, I saw an STI leaving the parking lot yesterday with a bike on top and I couldn't believe the amount of sway on the roof-rack when that thing went over a little bump, like swaying back and forth a foot, something to do with the mounts on the rails, but I didn't think that bike was going to be there very longer, it was going to rip off, no way that much sway wouldn't break it in short order.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Bummer - pays to double-check your retention system. On a side note - I just put 600 miles on my new 1-Up with a DH bike and was super confident with it - including some miles of forest service roading in 4wd.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Bummer - pays to double-check your retention system. On a side note - I just put 600 miles on my new 1-Up with a DH bike and was super confident with it - including some miles of forest service roading in 4wd.
Are you on 1.25" or the 2" version? My1.25 swings so much with full insertion that i have to zip tie it. Anyone else has this issue?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm not sure what rack it was that failed... it wasnt his car. That said I do have a friend with a one up that i'm actually kinda sketched out about putting a bike on. A 2" hitch with a 4 bike attachment on the back of a CRV. When we hit a speed bump or pot hole even at slow speeds, the thing flexes so much that the handlebars of the closest bike will hit the back window... :S

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,932 Posts
i'm not sure what rack it was that failed... it wasnt his car. That said I do have a friend with a one up that i'm actually kinda sketched out about putting a bike on. A 2" hitch with a 4 bike attachment on the back of a CRV. When we hit a speed bump or pot hole even at slow speeds, the thing flexes so much that the handlebars of the closest bike will hit the back window... :S
A 2in hitch should not be on a CRV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,932 Posts
Are you on 1.25" or the 2" version? My1.25 swings so much with full insertion that i have to zip tie it. Anyone else has this issue?
Hmm. Mine moves some second to flex mostly because the wheels are held by pressure, but not a big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
anyone ever recover a bike that came off at freeway speeds? that can be pretty.
I have. I-5 heading North through Corning. I saw my Cheap-O Motobecane SS fly off of my Yakima Hitch Rack @ 80 MPH. There's actually a bit of a funny story to go with this, but I've written about it in the NorCal forum in the past and won't rehash it now.

Suffice it to say that El-Cheap-O Motobecane came through it relatively unscathed. Taco'd front wheel, popped the cage off of one Egg-Beater pedal and ground one end of the handlebar down a bit, but all in all, it was a pretty simply and inexpensive repair.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have. I-5 heading North through Corning. I saw my Cheap-O Motobecane SS fly off of my Yakima Hitch Rack @ 80 MPH. There's actually a bit of a funny story to go with this, but I've written about it in the NorCal forum in the past and won't rehash it now.

Suffice it to say that El-Cheap-O Motobecane came through it relatively unscathed. Taco'd front wheel, popped the cage off of one Egg-Beater pedal and ground one end of the handlebar down a bit, but all in all, it was a pretty simply and inexpensive repair.
steel frame for the win?

i wonder how my carbon frame would do doing 80 mph cartwheels :) i KNOW its good doing 28 mph cartwheels, but it did have my body as a shield. hahah.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.