Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was thinking of uninstalling the front derailllure and front shifter to shave some weight off my bike. I also want to change the front crank plate and replace the three front speeds for just one average between the two biggest plates. I currently ride a 2011 trek fuel ex5. I don't use the other front speeds besides the middle one. Do you recommend this change? Do i need to be aware of something?

·
Registered
381 Posts
The 1x9 (or whatever your rear gears are) setup is great. A few things:

- With only one chainring you'll need to get single chainring bolts, unless you also get a fat chainring (like the Shimano CR80).
- You may need a chain retention device, such as the Paul Chain Keeper, N-Stop, bash guard, etc., since the chain might drop. Sometimes at a very undesirable time.
- In my experience, trying to get the front chainring inline with cog 5 (approx.) in the rear on a 1x9 is ideal. This should be easy enough and may require no extra effort on your part, but just keep it in mind. If you don't have a good chainline you may need to move spacers (if external BB) or get a different length BB (if square, octalink, etc.).

Enjoy!

·
Just Ride
1,738 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.