Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am goint to uninstall my stem.
Should I loosen the bolt on the top cap first or the stem bolts first?
I have read the article on the web of park tool.
However, it mentioned that release the bolt on the top cap first followed by the stem bolts.
However, when we install a stem, we adjust the top cap bolt followed by tighening the stem bols. If I want to uninstall a stem, should I just repeat the procedure in the opposite way, i.e. loosen the stem bolts then the top cap bolt, which contradicts what the part took said.
Thx for advice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
doesnt matter

When installing, you need to preload the headset bearings first, which is why you tighten the topcap first. If you tightened the stem bolts first, whatever you did to the topcap would have no effect.

But when taking a stem off, it doesnt matter.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
I'll be replacing my stem tonight, too. (Thread stripped - bummer...)

Anyway...

To uninstall...
I'd loosen the stem bolts first, then loosen the top-cap bolt. (But, it doesn't really matter which goes first, because you're gonna taken 'em both off in the end, one after the other.) Anyway, if you bike is off the ground on a stand, taking off the top-cap bolt will let the fork to come off - watch out. If your bike is on the ground while you do this, then all will just remain in place.

To install...
I'd adjust/tighten the top-cap bolt appropriately (no play, no bind) first, then tighten the stem bolts. (You want to do this in this order for sure.)

Good luck,
- PiroChu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts