Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about 6' 6" with about a 38" inseam, I usually ride a 19" mtb frame (29'er all the way)... only bcz I like my bikes a little smaller... I weigh about 170 w/ gear. I only want to spend around $100... give or take a little, if you guys say i should spend more.

A couple of questions...

What unicycle should I get?
Where can I get it?
What size? (wheel I guess)

Any extra info you guys can offer would be awesome.

Thanks, DC

P.S. if this should be posted somewhere else please let me know...

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
I assume you are just wanting to learn to unicycle right? Not looking for a mUni or a trials rig (both of which you will not get under $100)

The best basic learner unicycle under/at $100 is the Torker Unistar LX "Stealth" hands-down. At your height I'd suggest learning on a 24" but if you want you could learn on a 26" too. The learning curve is not really going to be any higher on one over the other but I'd still suggest the 24".

Buy from unicycle.com.....they're good people.

http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=675

http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=869

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
markowe said:
I tried a unicycle once
What you only tried once? The devil doesn't grant you the powers of one wheel balance until you try 5000 times. ;)

Really....it takes about 10-15 hours of trying before you figure it out. Most people give up WAY too early. It all comes together in an instant as well so you can be minutes away from mastering uni balance and you'll think your 1000 hours from it. MANY people have given up an hour away from figuring it out. For instance, at 9 hours of practice I couldn't go 5 feet and at 11 hours I was going the distance of my driveway (200 feet). Just don't give up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What, no Satanic pacts? You mean it's all about practice?! Hmmm, don't like the sound of that!

Actually, the one time I tried it I was visiting some friends and their little girl was expertly riding a unicycle around the yard making it look easy!

I could only have a quick try - any more would have just been too humiliating :)

What about just taking the front wheel off your MTB (like mine is now!) and trying that for starters!

·
Must. Not. Get. Fat.
27 Posts

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks zod for the info.... yes I am only a newb who wants to learn...

I am leaning towards the 26" just bcz I still have a lot of 26" tires/tubes (they are the same... right?)

I guess I am about lose 10+ hours of my life... but it will be worth it.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Good stuff Mwehahaha.....if you get frustrated or need any tips just hit me up. It'll be like a unicycle support group. ;)

BTW....here's my ride.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
So..... when you squeeze the brake, doesn't it want to just face plant you??? :crazy:

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
This tread is getting me interested. About 20 years ago, I put in about 20 hours over many days trying to learn to ride a friends Uni, and never was able to go more than about 5 feet. :madman:

Maybe it is time to try again. :eek:ut:

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
I'm about 5 or 6 hours into my learning to ride this monster.

The progress is slow, but it's been a lot of fun, and once in a while I will feel something click and all of a sudden I've made a (tiny) quantum improvement. For me, the best thing has been to work at it a little every day then quit before I get too tired or frustrated.

I will get brakes eventually, but for now I'm just learning around my neighborhood so I don't need them. They're out of stock at Quality right now anyway.

Attachments

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
The progress is slow, but it's been a lot of fun, and once in a while I will feel something click and all of a sudden I've made a (tiny) quantum improvement..
That's a good way to describe it......you have these "oh sh!t!" moments where all of a sudden you go from nothing to something to 5 feet to 15 feet to 100 feet to I can't believe 10 minutes ago I couldn't ride indefinitly.

Oh and the brake.....highly over-rated unless you do long descents. I hardly ever use mine. Oh yeah, nice ride!

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i'd second the torker lx recommendation for a cheap-ish learner. your lbs should be able to get them, any shop that has a redline biek can order them for sure. that said the udc(unicycle.com) people are indeed good people. at your size i'd also recommend the 24 incher if not the 26. also, there's a pretty active(if increasingly juvenile) web community at unicyclist.com

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
I have seen Uni videos from some of my locals trails. It looks slow and boring (probably like me climbing). I guess i just don't get it. What is the next step, taking the rubber of the wheel?
Seriously, can some one explain the draw towards uni's?

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KONA_in_SB said:
I have seen Uni videos from some of my locals trails. It looks slow and boring (probably like me climbing). I guess i just don't get it. What is the next step, taking the rubber of the wheel?
Seriously, can some one explain the draw towards uni's?
Have you ever ridden with someone on a fixed gear bike? (have you ever ridden a fixed gear) they make old boring trails a freakin chalenge again... I am guessing uni is a similair sensation... just more skill

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
It's a whole different experience KONA_in_SB. Trying to find some sort of common ground between mUni versus mountain biking is like comparing apples to oranges. mUni is not about speed obviously and anybody that does it isn't looking for speed so that's a moot point. The thing I like about it is that when you're on a trail on the uni it's 100% concentration at all times.....there is very little time to let you mind wander like there is mountain biking. Every root, every rock....it all must be scanned. I can think I know a trail well but until I ride it on a unicycle I don't truly know it. Eventhough you are only going 5mph your brain is going 100. The other thing I like about mountain unicycling is the simplicity.....one wheel, a frame, cranks, fixie. The simplicity and pureness that the single-speed junkies love does not even equal it. Do I have more "fun" on the mUni than my mountain bike.....nope but I do feel a bigger amount of accomplishment after a ride. Apples and oranges......

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I saw a guy riding a uni last year just going around a lake trail (4 miles in length). He got my respect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts