Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain High
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the great lower elevation rides around Durango, the Dry Fork/Hoffein's/CO Trail loop has been overrun with cows. The FS just called me back and apparently a grazing permit that was left vacant for many years has just been issued to a rancher for the next 10 years. I rode back there yesterday and discovered that the cows had been back there all weekend during the rains and had postholed and trashed many long sections of Dry Fork, not to mention the cow flops all over the trail. In several areas, the trails was damaged 2 and 3 feet off the trail as well.

It makes me sad that some ranchers simply see it is their right, a single trail user, to destroy it for all others. I even asked the FS lady if it was all right for me to ride back there during rain and ruin the trail too. She didn't have much of an answer for that.

:madman:
 

·
3327333
Joined
·
2,856 Posts
Saint John said:
I even asked the FS lady if it was all right for me to ride back there during rain and ruin the trail too. She didn't have much of an answer for that.

:madman:
Keep singletrack single ...until the cows come home.

Ed E
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I just came back from Dry Fork Matt, and I noticed the damage. But this is not a new situation, there have been cattle in there in the recent past, and I recall at least 2 autumn's where the cows were pushed up against entrance to Dry Fork getting loaded onto trucks.

Anyway, it was already in a bit better shape today, while the heavy rains we had this past week have done quite a job on Hoffiens.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
It is all relative. Don't skid your tire or ride in the rain for 20 years acting like you think you should be acting, and you get crapped on for it.

It really just means that we are all fools.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Colorado was a ranching state, long before Mountain Bikes came into vogue. I suggest you move to Canada, stop eating beef and change your name to Gern Blanston, so Colorado Ranchers, who are trying to make a living to feed their families, cant track you down. If you don't like it here, you are more than welcome to move. I guess ridsing pristine 1-track is more important to you than a rancher feeding his kids.
10 points of Karma to you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
Anonymous said:
Colorado was a ranching state, long before Mountain Bikes came into vogue. I suggest you move to Canada, stop eating beef and change your name to Gern Blanston, so Colorado Ranchers, who are trying to make a living to feed their families, cant track you down. If you don't like it here, you are more than welcome to move. I guess ridsing pristine 1-track is more important to you than a rancher feeding his kids.
10 points of Karma to you.
Screw Colorado beef ranchers. I don't care how long they have been doing it. The meat sucks anyway. Damn the meat sucks. It is a cryin' ass shame how the meat sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
29Colossus said:
Screw Colorado beef ranchers. I don't care how long they have been doing it. The meat sucks anyway. Damn the meat sucks. It is a cryin' ass shame how the meat sucks.
So I guess they have no right to earn a living? Thanks for the wisdom. I'm sure most of us are better for having read your post. You very big, me very small. You big and smart, me stupid. :thumbsup:

The true cryin' assed shame is how much you suck the meat.

Loser.
 

·
Rocky Mountain High
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anonymous said:
Colorado was a ranching state, long before Mountain Bikes came into vogue. I suggest you move to Canada, stop eating beef and change your name to Gern Blanston, so Colorado Ranchers, who are trying to make a living to feed their families, cant track you down. If you don't like it here, you are more than welcome to move. I guess ridsing pristine 1-track is more important to you than a rancher feeding his kids.
10 points of Karma to you.
Cry me a river. Blah, blah, blah. Colorado was a mining state too. And the US had slaves to bullwhip. And women couldn't vote. There were shootouts in Silverton in between the whore houses too.

Lordy, please come up with a stronger argument other than "it's always been this way" and get back to me. Give me break. These ranchers using these lands are SMALL TIME. The beef you so quickly reference comes from huge corporate ranches by and large. Wake up.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
Anonymous said:
So I guess they have no right to earn a living? Thanks for the wisdom. I'm sure most of us are better for having read your post. You very big, me very small. You big and smart, me stupid. :thumbsup:
Make a living on your own damn property.

The true cryin' assed shame is how much you suck the meat.
Brilliant. :rolleyes:

The meat does suck. Cows running all over the hills. They get tough. Ever try and find a great Colorado Briskit? You can get it, but even then it isn't like a Kansas or even California briskit Colorado strip steak? Pathetic. Don't even bother.

Get over it I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Saint John said:
Cry me a river. Blah, blah, blah. Colorado was a mining state too. And the US had slaves to bullwhip. And women couldn't vote. There were shootouts in Silverton in between the whore houses too.

Lordy, please come up with a stronger argument other than "it's always been this way" and get back to me. Give me break. These ranchers using these lands are SMALL TIME. The beef you so quickly reference comes from huge corporate ranches by and large. Wake up.
How come when it comes to the bear vs humans type threads, you cock sucking libs always start with "the animals were here first?" I was here as of december 27th, 1966 @ 5:53 AM. So I guess anyone who came here after4 that is as guilty as the ranchers you hate. (BTW, libs like you are full of more hate than any other group on earth. You're pathetic)
So the first to be here is the winner? It's your standard reply. "You are riding through the bears back yard. Learn to live with it." Same kinda thinking that makes America the bad guy, is the same as making humans the bad guy. As long as you can ***** about other people, you're happy. I guess if we were all as cool as you, life would be easy.

Loser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
401 in CB has cows all over it in the fall. No big deal. Cows like MTB trails, eventually they will pack the trail down nicely. Don't worry about it.

It could be worse. They could be goats or horses. Goats wreck trails.
 

·
Rocky Mountain High
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anonymous said:
How come when it comes to the bear vs humans type threads, you cock sucking libs always start with "the animals were here first?" I was here as of december 27th, 1966 @ 5:53 AM. So I guess anyone who came here after4 that is as guilty as the ranchers you hate. (BTW, libs like you are full of more hate than any other group on earth. You're pathetic)
So the first to be here is the winner? It's your standard reply. "You are riding through the bears back yard. Learn to live with it." Same kinda thinking that makes America the bad guy, is the same as making humans the bad guy. As long as you can ***** about other people, you're happy. I guess if we were all as cool as you, life would be easy.

Loser.
Sling it anywhere you want, but you're still full of $hit. Give me an argument with some merit.

I have a right to earn a living. Hmmmm, I'm starting a septic dump station in your yard. No wait, I'm selling heroin to kids at your local school. Is that cool? Isn't that the American Way? I have a right to earn a damn living, don't I?

Again, feel free to shroud them in insults, but your arguments are terrible. I don't mind someone expressing their opinion, but I ask that it makes sense.
 

·
Rocky Mountain High
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
apacherider said:
401 in CB has cows all over it in the fall. No big deal. Cows like MTB trails, eventually they will pack the trail down nicely. Don't worry about it.

It could be worse. They could be goats or horses. Goats wreck trails.
So do many trails in the Durango area and I'm fine with it. The entire Hermosa Creek drainage is cow city in the summer. There are 2.5 million acres of BLM and FS land in this area, I'm simply asking they find another place other than a heavily trafficked trail 4 miles from town.
 

·
Linoleum Knife
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
cbrossman said:
But this is not a new situation, there have been cattle in there in the recent past, and I recall at least 2 autumn's where the cows were pushed up against entrance to Dry Fork getting loaded onto trucks.
Yup - they've been running cows up there for years and years. In fact, there have been many cows up by the Dry Fork entrance for the last 4-5 years. Maybe this is an additional grazing permit issued in conjunction with the one that has already been in use. Someone has had a bunch of cows up there for a while.

It takes all of about 2-weeks for it to smooth back out.

How long have you lived here St. John (Matt?) - You probably missed out on the good 'ol days when they would drive the cattle down Florida and up N. College to the summer pasture. It took about a month for all the cow **** to get dried up and turned to dust...

This was a ranching community long before it became a hotspot for neo-hippies and retirees from California. In fact, the ranchers are the only thing that kept Durango from turning into a ghost town between 1960 and 1980. Many people would prefer the ranches to the current trend of high density 300K condos.

29Colossus said:
Make a living on your own damn property.
Make a bike trail on your own damn property.
 

·
Rocky Mountain High
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
forkboy said:
How long have you lived here St. John (Matt?)
Check your email from when I moved here and invited you to ride, to which you did not reply. Or you could ask cbrossman to provide my last name, address and SS# in his next post. :)

Again, I'm not anti-rancher. If you look at my oeriginal post you see I'm simply taking issue with grazing on very a local trail throughout a rainstorm. I simply believe it can be handled better and this was the nature of my discussion with the FS. Somehow this thread has exploded into a "History of Colorado Ranching 1880-1980" thread.
 

·
Linoleum Knife
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Saint John said:
Check your email from when I moved here and invited you to ride, to which you did not reply. Or you could ask cbrossman to provide my last name, address and SS# in his next post. :)
Yeah - the email I have listed on my profile is Hotmail, which I use as my catchall for junk and spam. I don't get anything in there, and only check it to delete the 10K "Opportunities" that show up in my email each week. Pmessage through MTBR is the best way to get a hold of me... sorry if you felt slighted - Craig and I haven't managed to hook up for a ride for the last 2 years.

I don't think I need your SSN - unless I can use it to get a new line of credit. What's your FICO score?

Ranchers and SW Colorado is the same argument as Jeepers and Moab. Everybody just needs to give each other a big hug and get along, because they aren't going anywhere any time soon, and chances are that the MTB community will lose out if it comes to a head.
 

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Anonymous said:
How come when it comes to the bear vs humans type threads, you cock sucking libs always start with "the animals were here first?" I was here as of december 27th, 1966 @ 5:53 AM. So I guess anyone who came here after4 that is as guilty as the ranchers you hate. (BTW, libs like you are full of more hate than any other group on earth. You're pathetic)
So the first to be here is the winner? It's your standard reply. "You are riding through the bears back yard. Learn to live with it." Same kinda thinking that makes America the bad guy, is the same as making humans the bad guy. As long as you can ***** about other people, you're happy. I guess if we were all as cool as you, life would be easy.

Loser.
How bout a big round of applause for Ann Coulter everyone, never would have pegged her as a mountain biker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,493 Posts
Anyone want some tough beef? Put those cows in your freezer and when it runs out, there's planty of Kansas beef to go around. I'll bring some when I move back to CO. That way, you guys have better beef and the trials stay prostine. Those Colorado ranchers- do you think they would mind moving to Kansas and supplying the beef from here? Propose this to them but just don't show up in Lycra.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
Flyer said:
Anyone want some tough beef? Put those cows in your freezer and when it runs out, there's planty of Kansas beef to go around. I'll bring some when I move back to CO. That way, you guys have better beef and the trials stay prostine. Those Colorado ranchers- do you think they would mind moving to Kansas and supplying the beef from here? Propose this to them but just don't show up in Lycra.
Now that is what I'm talking about!

Bring me some ribeyes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Saint John said:
Sling it anywhere you want, but you're still full of $hit. Give me an argument with some merit.

I have a right to earn a living. Hmmmm, I'm starting a septic dump station in your yard. No wait, I'm selling heroin to kids at your local school. Is that cool? Isn't that the American Way? I have a right to earn a damn living, don't I?

Anything you wanna do on your property, is cool wit me. You start **** on my land, you die. Sell coke and High School kids if that's all you are qualified to do. I don't have any. When I do, I'll just kill any jerk who tries to subvert my family. Then I'll die in the shoot out with the Jack booted thugs. It's all black and white. If you aren't smart enough to get it, then you don't need to be in the food chain. Deal dope all you want, loser. I dont care. Anyone who is dumb enuff to do drugs, gets what they deserve. Oh, and BTW I deal. Come after me, Loser. PM me and I'l give you my address. I love pathetic losers like you. They make my garden grow. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top