Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help, please, finding the source of my uneven chain tension. I'm running a Mono Veloce ring, king cog, and PC-1 chain. I've had trouble in the past with cheapo chainrings but never with a Blackspire. The frame has sliders, which Ive never used before, but ive confirmed the wheel is in straight. What are th usual suspects for this type of issue? I'm going to verify the chainline today using the skewer method but I wouldnt think poor chainline would cause this much difference in tension it would be tight during the entire revolution, right?

Thanks

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Is it tight at one point in crank revolution or wheel revolution?

It is possible that either chainring or cog is mounted slightly off center. For chainring, loosening the bolts slightly and tapping the chain with hand or some tool at the tight point point can get you centered.

The way Sheldon Brown (RIP) explains it:
Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions

·
Registered
676 Posts
He is probably correct, but its also possibly that your chainring is not perfectly round. I sometimes get perfect tension, and then rotate a quarter turn and its too tight. if its not the chainring bolts, you probably have an out of round ring or cog. Probably just going to have to find the tight spot and set it from there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I spent an hour or so messing around with the ring and got to the point where I thought I was being too anal and gave up. Went to ride that afternoon and snapped my half link about 5 min into the ride. Im sure it was related to the chain tension. I have a new MRP ring that Im going to try as soon as my new cog gets in. Going from 33/18 to 35/19 so I need a longer chain anyway. I figure starting over with all new stuff should help.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
A half link can be a weak spot in itself. I've used one and didn't get the joint right the first time. Had to play with the pin a bit to make it stay in place.

·
Registered
133 Posts
from my experience all single speeds have a tight spot and loose spot with the chain in a crank or wheel rotation, due to out of round rings, cogs, freewheels. some more or less than others. as long its not extreme, way too tight then way too loose, a happy medium and you should be good. hope i could be of some help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.