Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone do this? All the sites talking about bike shorts, say to go commando, but i just wanted to know how important it was to do this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
L&L said:
Does anyone do this? All the sites talking about bike shorts, say to go commando, but i just wanted to know how important it was to do this.
You shouldn't wear underwear under bike shorts for two reasons
1. you would negate the benefit the chamois gives.
2.You will look silly with your underwear showing through the spandex.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They won't show (baggies), and im more interested in the "padding" aspect of the inner liner, but i have no idea how much of an issue chaffing is.

I'm a complete noob to mountain biking, and biking in general (my first real bike won't be here til Wednesday, and i just ordered 2 pairs of the Hoss baggies tonight). I rode thousands of miles as a kid, but we all know that ain't the same.

If anyone reads this, and wears underwear under there baggies, please post.

Thank you for the reply walrasian, i just remember how i hated wearing those swim trunks with the liner already in them as a kid. Hoping mountain biking baggies are not like those.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
the chamois in bike shorts is not really "padding" its to absorb sweat and cut down on chafing. if you wear underwear under you will get chafing, sores and poss. fungal growth. cotton pretty much sucks next to your skin, it stays wet and keeps the moisture on your skin, plus the seams will hurt. I tried some performance "gel" padded shorts and wasnt too happy. stick with the chamois, your ass will hurt for a month or so untill you get used to the saddle, pads or not. if your getting skin pain vs muscle pain try body glide

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Get some really baggy boxers so you can have about 3" of the elastic waisband and a little butt crack showing.You'll look very new skool. ;)

Just kidding, baggies or lycra, you shouldn't have to wear underwear of any kind under bike shorts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you talking about the baggies w/o liners?

The shops carry several baggie shorts that don't have liners. I think this is what you're asking about, right?

Well, I dunno. I wear lycra (no baggies). But I always assumed you wore lycra shorts under the linerless baggies.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I go with for short (60 min+-) rides and without on longer rides. It doesn't seem to bother me on the short rides...just whatever is easiest. You will get some chaffing on longer rides.
Tim

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
I bought some lycra (acutually I don't think they are lycra) pants called "skins" when I first got into MTB (3 years ago) and would wear them underneath some "baggies" or just some comfortable shorts, then I got serious and tried some proper padded lycra pants, they were awful. I didn't know just how good I had it with my "skins". I won't ride more then 10km without them, and with them I've ridden several 100km+ rides in the Australian summer, I'm a sweaty guy but they work well. Most pro sports people in Australia wear them, check them out http://www.skins.net/

·
Combat Wombat
1,874 Posts
Same here.

KONA_in_SB said:
Lycra under baggies, end of story. :thumbsup:
I have a couple pairs of Sugoi baggies and these things are bomber. Even though they came with padded liners, I still prefer lycra bike shorts underneath. They tend to hold everything in place a little better and are just plain more comfortable. I can also use the same lycra shorts on my roadbike. Keep an eye on sales at places like Performance and you can get something better than liners for around $20 a pair.

Brian

·
bang
1,290 Posts
L&L said:
if it has a liner or chamois you're not supposed to. if it doesn't have a liner, then use whatever you want. regular underwear is not the best, but that's what i use. i don't have any problems unless i get rained on (then they really do chafe bad). coolmax boxer-briefs would probably be more comfortable than briefs.

if you really want comfort, look into bibs. if you don't like the idea of being out in tights, just put on some surf shorts (not those stupid swim trunks, real surf shorts). very durable, and you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've never worn proper bike shorts myself - just recently purchased some race face baggiges but it's just a shell.
I would take everyones advice - no undies under your bike knicks. And with baggies, well no-one will know! That's of course providing your baggies are designed with an inner liner / chamois of some sort. If you wear regular undies the seams or edges will become noticeable after an hour of riding and longer than that they may start to become irritable. I guess at that point you could always stop on the trail strip down & hang them on your handlebars???

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I've done it both ways. If you've got proper (lined) bike shorts then you shouldn't wear regular undies underneath...the seams of the unides will end up chafing on longer rides. I've gotten away with it, but I also don't go with a regualr pattern undie...the seams are in a little better position.

Now that I've had a chance to get used to "commando" and proper bike shorts, I'll agree that is the way to go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wear boxers under mine and do so most of the time. I have had no problems at all, however on the 90+ summer days i go commando but other than that i wear them. I have been on 3-4 hour rides no chaffing, no physical damage, no hinderence at all. Just do whatever works for you, you can always loose them if you feel the need to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone, My bike will be my only mode of transport for a full year while i'm over in Korea, and i just wanted to make sure i have enough gear while i'm over there. 2 pairs of baggies should be ok if just wear some normal shorts on short trips, and wear my new baggies if i'm making a day out of it. Wearing underwear under the baggies might have allowed me to wear the baggies more then once if limited sweating was involved (mabey i'm gross....who knows). Again thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.