Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in the recent issue of Bicycling(in the Beginner's Section no less!) that underwear should never be worn with cycling shorts. I have heard this from one or two other cyclists but never heeded the advice. Now that I see it in the Beginner's section as a "must not do", I am thinking about going al fresco. But admittedly, I have a predisposition to wearing underwear in all of the sports I compete in.

I am curious as to what others here do.

TIA

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ken in KC said:
No underwear with riding shorts. Underwear negates most of the advantages of the bike specific shorts.
I must admit to being surprised at this one. Even on long road rides(55 miles+) I wear underwear. Somehow I just feel that I need more than 1 layer between me and the whole world;-)

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Bicycling is correct

brianthebiker said:
I just read in the recent issue of Bicycling(in the Beginner's Section no less!) that underwear should never be worn with cycling shorts. I have heard this from one or two other cyclists but never heeded the advice. Now that I see it in the Beginner's section as a "must not do", I am thinking about going al fresco. But admittedly, I have a predisposition to wearing underwear in all of the sports I compete in.

TIA
No underwear with riding shorts. Underwear negates most of the advantages of the bike specific shorts.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Commando is the way to go

You have to understand that cycling shorts are made to be worn without underwear. Go commando.

Bob

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
brianthebiker said:

TIA
Unless you happen to buy some lycra shorts without the chamios you dont want to wear underwear with them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
No reason to wear underwear when riding.
Go commando

Saying that, a couple years back on a road ride we came across a group of 3 female cyclists. All were very attractive but one had a thong on under her short shorts and man... it was a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SuperNewb said:
Unless you happen to buy some lycra shorts without the chamios you dont want to wear underwear with them.
But why? What are the reasons? I have been riding this way for about 10 years now, and have seen no negative things bc of it. And there have been many long rides.

I assume the negative things are related to bacteria, but am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rev Bubba said:
If what you are wearing are truely bike shorts, they have an inner liner already built in.
By inner liner do you mean chamois padding?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PMC said:
Saying that, a couple years back on a road ride we came across a group of 3 female cyclists. All were very attractive but one had a thong on under her short shorts and man... it was a thing of beauty.
LOL.....you can safely assume that should you see me in my undies/shorts, I most certainly will **not** be a thing of beauty;-)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Two words..

Saddle Sores.
Most undies, boxers or briefs will have seams that can rub your nether regions. This in itself can be uncomfortable but the bad thing is these seams can rub the hair down there causing it to get broken off right at the surface of the 'dermis. When that happens and you continue to ride (and rub) the broken hair gets driven under the edge of the folicle. Now add sweat and bacteria and in time the folicle will get infected and wholla! Saddle Sore. What is real fun is when the hair gets stuck in the folicle and starts to grow...around and around in spirals inside the folicle. That is an ingrown hair and THAT is literaly a pain in the A__.
So...Cylcing shorts (both lycra and baggies) will have a chamios pad. Some are made of material that inhibits bactieria. All chamois are designed to have no seams and padding where needed. Subsequently wearing underwear is unessesary and rather redundant.
(Wow I know WAY too much about this subject!)

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
PMC said:
Imagine following a female rider weaing a g string under her lycras. She wondered if she was fast or if the guys were protecting her by following her.

Eventually she understood that commando is the way to go and the pack of hungry wolves disspated.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tacoma4.0 said:
Saddle Sores.
Most undies, boxers or briefs will have seams that can rub your nether regions. This in itself can be uncomfortable but the bad thing is these seams can rub the hair down there causing it to get broken off right at the surface of the 'dermis. When that happens and you continue to ride (and rub) the broken hair gets driven under the edge of the folicle. Now add sweat and bacteria and in time the folicle will get infected and wholla! Saddle Sore. What is real fun is when the hair gets stuck in the folicle and starts to grow...around and around in spirals inside the folicle. That is an ingrown hair and THAT is literaly a pain in the A__.
So...Cylcing shorts (both lycra and baggies) will have a chamois pad. Some actully are made of material that inhibits bactieria. All chamois are designed to have no seams and padding where needed. Subsequently wearing underware is unessesary and rather redundant.
(Wow I know WAY too much about this subject!)
Okay, I think I am on the road to being convinced with that post.

·
Registered
139 Posts
TommyCalifornia said:
That's what I do but when the hairs start to grow the go thru the lycra quicker than before. Guess that my hair is stonger while growing.

Will shaving will be better?
Ugh, I trimmed just a little bit, once, and it was itchy as all get out....

1 - 20 of 71 Posts