Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Latley i cant seem to get the idea out of my head how much fun a underground TT would be on some of the local (west valley phoenix, fins, pir, white tanks ect.) trails. inspired a bit from the documentrey "klunkerz" and from some of the folks i used to ride with in san diego that did a similar deal called the buck-an-ear race, And the loathing i have for the "for profit" races wich seem to take all the fun out of mountain biking (for me anyway). I thought it would be fun to get everyone together on our backyard trails, have some frendley, safe events that dont cost anything, and promote the roots of mountain biking, fun, and friendship.my idea was to post a time and a place, get a couple stopwatches and some scratch paper, create classes and every 2 min someone heads out on the trail. maby collect prizes from local shops? the trophy could be bragging rights till the next event? who knows, im looking for input or ideas from all of you. is this a stupid idea? would you be intrested in such an event? if there is no charge for the event is any liability placed on anyone? there are many things to consider. please share your thoughts, if there is good feedback and it looks like enfough folks will show i will be happy to put it all together.

Thanks for your time and input in advance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks......i think....

could be alot of fun for everyone, I get the symbolisam (sp?) , and i like it! im ready! Bring it on!

Cheers!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd be interested in more info.

There will likely be some hidden obstacles though. You'll most likely need to get permission from the land owner/manager for any organized event of any type and they may require you to have insurance and EMT's on site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that is the real trick, i guess i would have to ask somebody savoy in things like that. My thought was that if there is no moneys involved it would be no diffrent than a group ride except you would be put up aginst a clock. I am sure the folks at the parks would throw a childish fit if they knew about it, but fins is private land. however due respect must be made to the folks that made those trails. aproval from them would be a must. i would not want to do anything to endanger those trails or have them shut down. If everyone was to respect the area, and not park in stupid places, nobody would be hip to what was going on.

please keep the ideas flowing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i can also see there side (the parks). I am just trying to figure the angle that works. maby dont call it a "race" or "time trial", dont call it anything at all.... just another training ride against the clock..... we could call it that. that way it is no diffrent than any other group or training ride. it would just be a big training ride.again with no money, or prize, whats the differnce? We need one of them lawyer types to help us out on that one. Things used to be much more simple. another option would be to find some trails on state trust or BLM land. Might just have to go make some new trails?

keep it rolling, good stuff!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
cookiedough said:
I am still studying the aerial photos for a pint to pint type of ride from Flag, downhill (yeah, right) to Sedona without being on the paved roads.
You mean like this...

The view before you would pass on to drinking beer at Oak Creek Brewery on Pot Road....

Track is available here for the route CDC. I like the idea of just going downhill though, so if you ever organize this group ride or race, I'd be down!

This idea has been spawned down in Tucson as well, like the Tucson Mountain Park Challenge and no brakes race on TucsonMTB. I think the idea is great. We need more underground events...time trials, challenges, rides, gatherings, just any excuse not to pay money on entry fees in order to spend more on the Mothership..... Mmmmmmmmmm. That reminds me I have to eat and drink another one.

·
It's a Sledgehammer.
357 Posts
I am all in favor of this.

Keep it low key and forget the naysayers who dont care about racing.
Racing is fun for a LOT of people and doing it for free in a loosely organized
unofficial non-traceable way is a GREAT idea. It would also be neat to
have some DH runs and super D runs without all of the poop that would go along
with trying to actually put a race on.

My other idea along these lines would be to choose some courses that people could time
trial on their own and keep a running record via email list, for example
BCT or Up National or Down National or Helipad or Goat Camp or La Miligrosa or whatever.. then you just report your times as you do them and the organizer could forward the spreadsheet of the times.
Or maybe via website.
But a central repository for time trial times for known courses would be neato for me.
Some times, names and to shoot for on any given course in AZ? sweet.
Seems like it'd be fun.
So to thwart the cheaters we'd need to invent some sort of deterrent.
IE a quarterly showdown where we have an underground time trial race
to see it together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a fantastic idea! I love it, i love it! once a quarter, one for every season. summer could be at midnight or something... low key would be key for sure. when the time comes there will be no word from me on any public forum.i like that internet deal, we would have to set ground rules, start and stop points and what not, but that would make it bigger than the west valley, and allow folks to compete on vacation, folks in there own region could put on there own tts. This is great stuff. keep it rolling! im gonna get to work on it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
DO IT...DO IT...DO IT!!! Set up a screening of Klunkerz the night before to get everyone stoked...better yet...get everyone to buy their own copy of the DVD and study up on bike set-up, style and technique associated with Klunking:). Don't worry about The Man, the pioneers never did. And don't forget the bike pile at the finish line. Make sure the prize for the winner is the good stuff.
Ride on,
Billy
www.klunkerz.com

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
azepicriderandrunner said:
Based on my experience with races at the parks in Phoenix, DO NOT advertise the race on any website, including MTBR. Send it via email, keep it low key. If you want it on a website, make it password protected.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad to see that this thread didn't turn into a flame fest and people actually offered constructive input. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
jperson said:
My other idea along these lines would be to choose some courses that people could time
trial on their own and keep a running record via email list, for example
BCT or Up National or Down National or Helipad or Goat Camp or La Miligrosa or whatever.. then you just report your times as you do them and the organizer could forward the spreadsheet of the times.
Or maybe via website.
But a central repository for time trial times for known courses would be neato for me....
This is a great idea. Might be accomplished via a modified or simplified geoladders approach (http://www.geoladders.com/overview.php), with riders submitting times via GPS upload. Could be done for the whole state.

·
MTBikeAZ.com
117 Posts
JohnniO said:
It's already being done. I saw this a couple days ago on this forum. Ride it when you want to ride it and post your time. GPS proof to challenge the course record. Great idea.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478351
The TMP challenge sure looks awesome, but I think it would be a good idea to also do rides that are shorter, so mere human riders can compete. Something more like the Clarks Time Trial they do up in Utah.

I think Sunrise trail in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve would be great for an individual TT. So would Helipad, the list could go on and on (including the trails jperson suggested). All we'd need is a blog, someone to post the times and lots of riders to ride at their leisure.

We should start with one trail, see if it takes off. Then branch out if it's a success. Any other trail recommendations? Something in the range of 10-20 or 20-30 minutes to climb?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, this is great stuff! Im gonna do it. i know nothing of the workings of the internet, but a freind of mine is some kind of whiz kid. he has helped me in the past. i am sure he will help again. rode the white tanks today, the whole time i was thinking how great this internet tt would be so i could compare my times to others. BTW The trail is in the best shape i have ever seen it, i guess they raced it backward last weekend, either some folks put some work into it, or the race cleaned it up. If someone put work into it......THANK YOU!!!!!

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
If you call it a "training ride" no registration, no numbers, no advertised fees, prizes or sponsorships - just an agreed meet and roll time, does it need to be permitted?

I have faced the same question with scheduled group or club rides on NM-BLM land. Under an expansive technical reading of the rules, a permit would be required for such an "organized event." In conversation and practice, BLM says occasional, non-$$$, semi-formal group rides are fine. However, if we ask for formal permission, we have to go through the formal permit process.

Part of it would depend on how many riders you get clumped in one place at one time. If there are 100 riders all zipping out together, hmmmm. 25 riders? Probably no big.

You could do a simple little sign in / sign out sheet if people want to keep track of relative times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.