Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Waiting for Godot........
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some padding to wear under shorts/pants to help out with habit of leaving my bike during crashes.

Tell me which one you got, if you can pedal with them(not xc stuff) and if you can wear them all day.

·
noMAD man
12,207 Posts
The "wear them all day" can make the difference here. There are some great outer and under shorts that offer some excellent armor protection, but many of them are just darned hot if the weather's warm or you're climbing much.

I use a good, thick baggy short with a tough synthetic fabric. It stands up better to sliding or bouncing off the ground...especially the sliding. Lycra is just too tight and thin to help much in this area. Your hips are the most vulnerable part under your shorts, and I wear the triangular pads out of my dirt motor pants. These are hip pads, and they have a piece of attached velcro which surprisingly grips the lycra inner liner of any baggy short I've ever owned without any fancy attachments and such. They offer a ton of protection without being bulky or hot. I also have some some padded Fox undershorts, but they're even too hot for dirt motor action IMO. You can put all the mesh and breathable material that you want over the pads, but if there are many pads in the shorts or undershorts, the end result will be hot for lots of riding. This may be great for some really gnarly shuttled riding, but more pads just seems to be more heat if the conditions are the slightest bit warm. The hip pads have been the best compromise for me for long rides. They're available through most motorcycle shops because they often get lost when washing the pants. They usually have to be ordered, though. It's a cheap alternative, too.

·
Waiting for Godot........
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pads creating heat is something i never thought of. good point!!

hip and tailbone padding is a must for the kind of riding i am doing more and more.

anybody else have experiences, thoughts, concerns

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the sette padded shorts from price point and wore them all last week in Mammoth.They were quite comfortable (I wore them 5 days straight) and I didn't have any irritation or anything like that. They are the cheapest around at 50.00 for 2 pair, so I say try them out.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Sette shorts here as well. Comfortable for all day? Probably not, but no hip armor is. They are lighter than a lot of the other ones I checked out though

·
Discernibly Turgid
226 Posts
I've got the 661 pro bomber shorts and really like them. They have rigid plastic hip and tailbone pads, soft pads elsewhere, and a chamois. The short itself is mesh, so they're not that hot. I've done 3 hour rides with lots of climbing in them in the 90s and been overly hot. They're a little more expensive, I think I got them for $55 or $60.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,384 Posts
How do the Sette shorts handle crashes? Have you gone down on them hard?

I have 661 pro bombers. They are bearable to wear all day, don't chafe, you can pedal ok but are not for climbing for any length of time. I've gone down really hard on them once. There is a big side pad with a plastic shell that took most of the impact. It was such a hard fall that my hip and left thigh still got a massive bruise and I had to take a few days off the bike. The mesh pattern of the fabric underneath the pad was tatooed into my skin, and my left arm and leg got hammered too, luckily with pads on. The whole left side of my body ached for a couple days. So, they might have saved me, but all the other pads besides the big thigh-protection pads seem too light to do much good. There is a plastic tailbone protector too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Knox Armour Shorts, originally bought for Moto Crossing in but sold my bike and kept all the amour, which i now wear when on my bike.

Carl.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Zak said:
I've got the 661 pro bomber shorts and really like them. They have rigid plastic hip and tailbone pads, soft pads elsewhere, and a chamois. The short itself is mesh, so they're not that hot. I've done 3 hour rides with lots of climbing in them in the 90s and been overly hot. They're a little more expensive, I think I got them for $55 or $60.
Like Zak I do 3 hr. rides with the 661's, most of the time I forget I'm wearing them. Great shorts :thumbsup: I also have a pair of settes, I think their to hot.:madmax:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have the Fox racing Launch version and the inner chamoise is very irratating feels like a diaper and rubbed my thigh raw after a whole day. Also the seem and lable in the rear waist also rubbed my skin raw after a whole day. (They should sew this on the outside) I wore them more than once hoping to get used to them, but have since ditched them also very hot! Theyre also expensive at $50.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have a set of the 661padded under shorts, the type w/o the plastic shell, and also pair of the Fox padded undershorts.

The 661 shorts are far superior in comfort, ventalion and padding. Check out some of the Snow boarding padded shorts as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fox

I have the Sette shorts and several pair of the Fox shorts. I dont like the sette shorts because the pads on the side have a gap right where the hip pointer is. I have washed out a few turns in these short and confirmed - no protection on the side. I love the fox shorts and they have a chamois for longer rides. The only thing is the seam in the rear of the waist band is scratchy. I just fold them over. The fox shorts are a few dollars more but well worth it.

HR

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dianese make a really nice mesh short (HEAVY and stretchy weave) with tough plastic pads lined with foam judiciously placed in critical contact zones, including the tailbone area.. They zip up and fit really well and include a chamy. These seem like the best design around for maximum ventilation, protection, and comfort. They aren't the cheapest but I'll put my money down on these any day when the riding goes bad.

Dave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts