Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a gift certificate to Dicks sporting goods, and as their cycling dept. totally stinks, I looked thru the running/training section for some nice cold weather clothes. I picked up an Under Armour Metal Mock training shirt and have ridden with it twice now and I love it. It has a fleecy inside material with a lycra outer layer and it wicks way better than anything I've worn before. I was absolutely blown away when I got back from my first ride, I was nice and dry on the inside , but the outer layer was practically dripping wet. I have used lots of various combination's of layering and wicking shirts, but this one is by far the best so far. I have tried Champion and Hot Chile base layers, as well as various cycling jerseys, and none have been as dry and warm as this.

UA's compression style shirts are super tight, similar to a nice tight pair of riding shorts, I guess to help with muscle fatigue, not that that is really an issue for my upper body. This shirt has a thinner material under the arms which is very comfortable as well as helping prevent overheating (I sweat a lot). It also comes about halfway up my neck, which is nice.

I have no affiliation with UA whatsoever, just really loving this shirt. It was somewhat expensive, at $79, but honestly that is pretty comparable with a good jersey. Also, there are no rear pockets, but as I'm using this for sub-freezing temps, I'll be wearing a cycling jersey or jacket over it anyways.

Anyway, I just got back from riding and am so psyched on this shirt I figured I'd post to spread the word and or see if anyone else is using UA stuff for cycling.

Plus, It kind of makes me look like a smaller, whiter version of Ladainian Tomlinson when I put it on (a plus with the Missus if you get the idea).

Here's a link to UA's site so you can see a pic and read more about it if you like.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/search/results/pid1000592-Men-s-ColdGear-UA-Metal-Mock/1000592-241

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yeah I roll with underarmour cold gear leggings and mock necks with a wool jersey over them and usually just a pair of hoss riding shorts over them. Keeps me warm down to the mid 20's.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I've heard good things about Under Armour and they look and feel hi-tech and quality built..... but the cheapscate in me just can't get over the price. I wear a Champion polypro base layer that I picked up for like 10 bucks. I wear a 10-year-old fleece-lined cycling jersey over that down to about 20 deg and add a fleece pullover over that for sub 20 temps.

Keeping my upper body warm and dry aren't ever an issue with me though as I don't sweat a lot and live in a dry climate ......so that may be the difference.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wear an Under Armour Cold Gear long sleeve crew and I love it! Today was 30 F and I wore this setup: UA, long sleeve jersey, light fleece, and fleece vest. I was perfectly toasty.

I will have to check out the Metal Mock. I might be able to go without the fleece layers with it on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.