Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Friend of mine had a Nimble 9 a few years ago. The frame alone is 8lbs. Don't know if that's good or bad for steel.
A large Nimble 9 frame for the 2020 model is 5.8lbs naked and 6,27lbs with axle, dropout and hardware. I will weight mine (XL) when I receive it (should be in may). We have a RSD Middlechild and it's heavier

Reactions: Funoutside

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
A large Nimble 9 frame for the 2020 model is 5.8lbs naked and 6,27lbs with axle, dropout and hardware. I will weight mine (XL) when I receive it (should be in may). We have a RSD Middlechild and it's heavier
His was a medium frame. I was really surprised at how heavy it was. He brought it down to the shop to build it up...so I just hung it on the scale. He might have had the headset and seatclamp on there. It was a long time ago. My 140mm aluminum Banshee Spitfire frame is around 8lbs...including the shock.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My friend was telling me he got a small Esker Haduke rigid bikepacking build for his wife around 26-27lbs. I would think a medium rigid Japhy would be around 28-29lbs? Thinking about that bike, unless someone has a different suggestion?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Stanton bikes have a steel hardtail design around 120mm fork but with modern geo (67 HA on a 120mm sag at 25%), the Sherpa. Their Switch9er (140mm fork) being 5lbs13 onces, this one should be even lighter and with the 120mm as close as a modern xc steel bike can be IMO. Their Taiwan version is around 900 us$

Sherpa Gen 3 - Stanton Bikes

Reactions: Funoutside

·
Registered
330 Posts
Krampus look fun it it's geo is kind of similar to my current bike. I would prefer a little more of a modern XC geo.
What do you think is "modern xc geo"? Because the Krampus looks pretty close to what I understand it to be: 68° hta, moderate/short reach, short wheelbase, and short chain stays.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Stanton bikes have a steel hardtail design around 120mm fork but with modern geo (67 HA on a 120mm sag at 25%), the Sherpa. Their Switch9er (140mm fork) being 5lbs13 onces, this one should be even lighter and with the 120mm as close as a modern xc steel bike can be IMO. Their Taiwan version is around 900 us$

Sherpa Gen 3 - Stanton Bikes
I like how that looks, will have to keep this brand in mind. I take they ship to the US? Is that weight for the Taiwan version?

·
Registered
668 Posts
This comes in just under 27 as a singlespeed and likely around 28.5 geared depending on chosen components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
My friend was telling me he got a small Esker Haduke rigid bikepacking build for his wife around 26-27lbs. I would think a medium rigid Japhy would be around 28-29lbs? Thinking about that bike, unless someone has a different suggestion?
I have a large Japhy built up rigid SS at 23.8 lbs (w/ a 29x3.25 up front and a 2.6 out back). It's a fun bike and great bang for the buck, but I personally wouldn't call it XC geo. Relatively long stays and slack HTA. Plenty of room for 29x2.6 if you run the sliders more than halfway back, but you can't slam a 2.6 Rekon on an i40. It's also not a particularly light frame (over 6 lbs). I'd reconsider the Krampus that someone mentioned above. Similar weight but with more room for big tires and a more XC feel (to me). My gen 1 Krampus SS was 25 lbs w/ rabbit holes.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Keep an eye on the website, occasionally a used frame gets out up for sale and there are some lower priced small batch production frames in the works.

That's good to know.

I have a large Japhy built up rigid SS at 23.8 lbs (w/ a 29x3.25 up front and a 2.6 out back). It's a fun bike and great bang for the buck, but I personally wouldn't call it XC geo. Relatively long stays and slack HTA. Plenty of room for 29x2.6 if you run the sliders more than halfway back, but you can't slam a 2.6 Rekon on an i40. It's also not a particularly light frame (over 6 lbs). I'd reconsider the Krampus that someone mentioned above. Similar weight but with more room for big tires and a more XC feel (to me). My gen 1 Krampus SS was 25 lbs w/ rabbit holes.
What wheelset & fork do you have on your Japhy? How is the frame space?

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's good to know.

What wheelset & fork do you have on your Japhy? How is the frame space?
Bontrager Line Pro 40 wheelset and Tandell carbon boost 29er fork. The fork is a steal at under $200. The wheelset is a great value considering the sum of the parts.

I’m disappointed in the frame space. Esker told me it’d “fit a 2.8 slammed.” Here’s a Rekon 2.6 halfway back in the sliders.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts