Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a steel modern XC bike that can fit 29x2.6(alternatively 27.5x3 would also work) & has enough space for two bottles. I like to ride blue trails in loose & dusty over hard trails with some sand, but there is also a good amount of climbing here so under 30lbs would be preferred. I would like a frame that is $900 or less. Ideally a DV9 would have been close, but that's not made anymore nor is steel. Are there any other affordable steel frame builders besides Marino? Would I be better off going Walty & do a TI build if I go custom route? Trying to explore all my options, thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Probably gonna have to forgive your weight requirements if you're going steel. Look for more like 32-34lbs.

Better yet, just don't worry about weight. It's not that important of a metric, and a modern bike isn't going to be super heavy.

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
I am looking for a steel modern XC bike that can fit 29x2.6(alternatively 27.5x3 would also work) & has enough space for two bottles. I like to ride blue trails in loose & dusty over hard trails with some sand, but there is also a good amount of climbing here so under 30lbs would be preferred. I would like a frame that is $900 or less. Ideally a DV9 would have been close, but that's not made anymore nor is steel. Are there any other affordable steel frame builders besides Marino? Would I be better off going Walty & do a TI build if I go custom route? Trying to explore all my options, thanks.
Surly Karate Monkey frame, but that only goes up to a 2.5, I think. It is within your budget however. Ti would be much lighter but also much more expensive. Probably double your frame budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current bike is Bombtrack Beyond+, which is 32lbs rigid & is kind of smilar to the KM, so looking for something a little different. I also don't mind going used. I've seen rigid geared new gen Kona Unit builds at 28-29lbs, but the geo on that isn't a modern-ish XC bike, is it? It's also a sliding dropout, which I rather avoid(had some less than experience on that type on my Soma Wolverine).

The steel Sport rocker looks interesting & I know some have gotten lucky at gotten one in very good shape for $2k or so. But, that can do 27.5+ but maxes at 29x2.4. What else is there? Would going custom frame route give me what I am looking for?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sir 9 can fit 27x3.0 (or 29x2.4) has tons of mounts but it doesn't meet your $900 or less requirement. It's pretty light in the lower sizes (4.5lbs) but really jumps up in weight in the bigger sizes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Biggest issue, of course, is availability. Even the used market is getting pretty slim pickings, these days.

Had last year's Salsa Fargo Tiagra that came in at about 28 pounds for a medium and i29 rims with 2.6" tires, stock. Sold it because I couldn't get along with drop bar for my tight twisty trails. Could always do a convert to a flat bar if you can find one. Be careful, though. Not all vintages of the Fargo can go wide on the tire clearance.

·
slow
7,037 Posts
Don't know about the weight, but are the Jamis Dragon or Dragon Slayer or the Kona Honzo options? My older Dragon 29 is well under 30 lbs with a Reynolds 853 frame that has 2 set of bottle holders. I have it forked to take a 2.5 up front, but unfortunately a 2.3 is about as big as I can get away with in back. I assume they have allowed for wider tires in the 13 years since mine was built.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sir 9 can fit 27x3.0 (or 29x2.4) has tons of mounts but it doesn't meet your $900 or less requirement. It's pretty light in the lower sizes (4.5lbs) but really jumps up in weight in the bigger sizes.
Yeah the new gen is close, but the pricing gets a bit up there in price. I'd be a size small/medium on most bike

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Biggest issue, of course, is availability. Even the used market is getting pretty slim pickings, these days.

Had last year's Salsa Fargo Tiagra that came in at about 28 pounds for a medium and i29 rims with 2.6" tires, stock. Sold it because I couldn't get along with drop bar for my tight twisty trails. Could always do a convert to a flat bar if you can find one. Be careful, though. Not all vintages of the Fargo can go wide on the tire clearance.
I've looked at the Fargo in the past, but went a different route(Bombtrack Beyond+). I have a drop bar gravel bike & if i was to go Fargo I'd go Cutty, which can fit 2.6 front & 2.4 back.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Canfield Nimble 9 is a "light" frame for a steel one. Paired with a 140mm fork it really excel in XC/flowy stuff. My build should comes around 29lbs with pedals (I might have forgotten a part or having wrong weight for some of my parts so won't know for sure in a month or so...). If you want a nice aluminium frame, with good ride quality (almost steel like), have a look at Banshee Paradox. You could save at least a pound (just on frame) and still get a nice ride feel. Those frames are not pure XC but with the proper build kit, they can tackle most riding conditions... Hardtail party built his paradox at 26 pounds with a Fox stepcase 120mm and it rode awesome. You could also go Ti if price is no object

Reactions: Funoutside

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TI would be out of budget, unless I go Walty. I'll have to look at the Nimble 9. Is there anything in the 30lbs? I just want something a little lighter than my Beyond+ at 32-33lbs with a more modern xc geo.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Friend of mine had a Nimble 9 a few years ago. The frame alone is 8lbs. Don't know if that's good or bad for steel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the looks of these frames, but don't know too much about them. If you $$ on wheels and bottom bracket, you should be able to hit 30lbs. I also love Production Privee Shan 27 Classic, but they don't ship just frames anymore.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will look into that thanks.

If I increase my budget to $1200 what options do I have? Or if I go carbon what options are there since the IBIS DV9 isn't made any more?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Soooo...this is what I ride, a Storck Rebel 7. It is as old school XC geometry as you can get with 27/29" wheel. I LOVE riding my carbon hardtail, but it is not for everyone. Every slight shift in weight or tweak of the bars immediately sends you in a new direction. That is what I wanted, but it honestly took me a whole season to get used to it. Wouldn't go back. These things are dirt cheap right now if you want one. I was not trying for an ultralight, but my bike ended up at 23.5lbs with a Fox 32 SC fork and aluminum rims with White Industries hubs. I also paid full price for a Wheels Mfr thread together bottom bracket (best money I spent on this thing by far). All in and assembled by my local shop was $3k, but I paid over 2x compared to Zero2Seven frame sale (also got the fork new-old-stock for $299).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, just noticed the Zero2Seven is an aluminum frame, not carbon. Hunh, I thought Storck only did carbon, guess not.

Could also look at Yeti ARC, but $1900 for just the frame is up there.

I turn 50 next year and am thinking of getting a Stanton Slackline to celebrate:

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you are not opposed to aluminum, the new Fathom 29 is nice. Right around 30 lbs stock. Mine is just over 28 lbs. I think this is a do it all bike.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Krampus look fun it it's geo is kind of similar to my current bike. I would prefer a little more of a modern XC geo. Say if I change my weight requirement to under 33lbs what would my options be on a steel XC bike(which preferably can do 29x2.6)?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts