Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UncleMTB and I just returned from two awesome days of biking at Mammoth Mountain. Many thanks to all who gave us trail advice. We did Off the Top three times, Beach Cruiser twice, Gravy Train, Brake Through, Paper Route, Big Ring, Juniper, and Uptown. Pretty much every non-advanced route. The pumice wasn't as bad as the Tahoe Rim Trail or Cannell Plunge. We got some great video footage and that will be posted in a day or so. More photos and a full ride report will also be posted on my site in a few days. No doubt UncleMTB will post photos in a day or so.

Scariest part of the trip!

Best part of the trip

What is this sign pointing to?

Me actually making a switchback

UncleMTB on the trail

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Cool beans.

I happend to catch Mr. Wolf at the bike shop before he left for the trip. We didn't get to mammoth this year but pictures always bring back a little flavor. Looking forward to the vid.

george

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Ahhh, Mammoth.

Many good memories of the riding there. And the bike expos. And the camping. And the swag. And the Bike Betties. And the beer. And the riding. And the dogs. And the trails.

How come I wasn't invited??? Dammit.

Were there lots of people there?

fp

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Just gat back myself

Wherewolf said:
UncleMTB and I just returned from two awesome days of biking at Mammoth Mountain. Many thanks to all who gave us trail advice. We did Off the Top three times, Beach Cruiser twice, Gravy Train, Brake Through, Paper Route, Big Ring, Juniper, and Uptown. Pretty much every non-advanced route. The pumice wasn't as bad as the Tahoe Rim Trail or Cannell Plunge. We got some great video footage and that will be posted in a day or so. More photos and a full ride report will also be posted on my site in a few days. No doubt UncleMTB will post photos in a day or so.

Scariest part of the trip!

Best part of the trip

What is this sign pointing to?

Me actually making a switchback

UncleMTB on the trail
I was worried there wouldn't be any cardio work out for our 3 days shuttling out there, man was I wrong. Next time check out skid marks it's rated 1 black diamond but isn't that bad. An XC bike seems real fast on most of the trails (with some big ring pedaling spots) but I will admit I didn't go down Chain Smoke or any of the double black diamond stuff on my HT. Going again next year with my new Superlight or Spyder or what ever XC dually is on sell at the end of this year.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree!

Bike Nazi said:
I was worried there wouldn't be any cardio work out for our 3 days shuttling out there, man was I wrong.
I also thought it would be a breeze to just point the bike downhill and coast along. I was wrong! I'm a XC aerobic enthusiast and I was quite satisfied with the workouts I got while going downhill. Except for trying to go as fast a possible, "Off the Top" was fairly easy. It had absolutely no technical spots. We contemplated trying an advanced downhill but we were afraid once we got in over our heads we'd be walking or hit from behind. Maybe next time.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No need to

The trails in the park occupied us for the whole trip. Since I'm not supposed to ride more than once a week I got some help from gravity the first day to spare the knees for the second day of XC. I wouldn't say we really did any downhill stuff, mostly "gravity assisted" XC. The XC there is awesome, you should try it. Lots of narrow, rolling, twisty trails through forests with gradual net elevation loss. The high elevation ensures you get a good workout. I'll list the trails on my site in a day or so. The Epic was fantastic on these trails!

·
MTBr ReMember
654 Posts
Meet us there for the next one...

Impy said:
Looks like you guys had an awesome time! Looking forward to going one of these days.
...seeing as how you will be closer if you move to SoCal...and congrats on the moderator deal.
I'll have to stop over to your board and check it out.

Tim

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tahoe this Friday

Looks like the Friday ride at Tahoe is on. If you are still on vacation you are welcome to come. Stay overnight Thursday night, ride all day Friday with UncleMTB and a guy from back east I've never met. Let me know if you are interested. Still have to return to Oregon the following week and also hit Downieville and the Cannell Plunge in September. Just found out this morning I'll be having elbow surgery on Oct. 21st, then 6 weeks off. So I have to get all those good rides in by then.

Your NW trip looked fantastic!

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Looks like the Friday ride at Tahoe is on. If you are still on vacation you are welcome to come. Stay overnight Thursday night, ride all day Friday with UncleMTB and a guy from back east I've never met. Let me know if you are interested. Still have to return to Oregon the following week and also hit Downieville and the Cannell Plunge in September. Just found out this morning I'll be having elbow surgery on Oct. 21st, then 6 weeks off. So I have to get all those good rides in by then.

Your NW trip looked fantastic!
I was up in Tahoe over the weekend, awesome rides, pics to follow. I just have to find my camera among the duffle bags and laundry carnage of the last 2 weeks.

I'm up for cannel plunge #2 in September and I think a couple more Tahoe ventures are mandated before the season ends.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Somehow...

the firetrails behind my house and the Century I'm doing this weekend feel kinda watery after seeing your images. I'm doing a bathroom remodel at home now so riding at all is a bonus. Looks fantastic. I look forward to the video.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts