Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess it doesn't have to be unbendable. But I'd appreciate a cassette that did bend when putting little to much climbing pressure on it when the system isn't quite in tune.

I've torn up two cassettes, one SRAM one Shimano Mega-Range. I want a SOLID BODY cassette, it should have little holes drilled into it or large sections removed for weight. It should be built for durability.

Does anybody KNOW of such a cassette in 8 speed, preferably 34 teeth????

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
The best I've found...

willtsmith_nwi said:
Well, I guess it doesn't have to be unbendable. But I'd appreciate a cassette that did bend when putting little to much climbing pressure on it when the system isn't quite in tune.

I've torn up two cassettes, one SRAM one Shimano Mega-Range. I want a SOLID BODY cassette, it should have little holes drilled into it or large sections removed for weight. It should be built for durability.

Does anybody KNOW of such a cassette in 8 speed, preferably 34 teeth????
First, stay away from SRAM. They bend like Beckham.

A durable 8-spped cassette may be harder to find since the new standard is 9-speeds for higher end bikes.

The best cassette I've found (cost, vs. strength/durability) is the Shimano XT. Durable and it works. Not horribly expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean by solid body. All cassettes are preassembled indivual rings. A 1-piece cassette would be extremely heavy and expensive.

Another approach may be to tune up your bike. Even if you bring it to an lbs and pay them to do it, it would cost less than replacing cassettes.

Ken

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
You know the Sunrace cassettes are cheap, thick,heavy, and individual rings bolted together. Seems tough and durable, although finding them maybe a trick. Also you will not find an 8speed with a 34t top range in anything over shimano acera mega-range level. They just can't get the gear steps tolerable with the 34t in the 8 speed, hence 9 spd.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solid cogs, no holes

Ken in KC said:
First, stay away from SRAM. They bend like Beckham.

I'm not sure what you mean by solid body. All cassettes are preassembled indivual rings. A 1-piece cassette would be extremely heavy and expensive.
I mean that the individual cogs shouldn't have metal drilled out in order to save weight. That weakens the cog. While it may be perfectly appropriate for a 150lbs flyweight, I put a bit more pressure on my crank arms. I'd like cogs that HAVE NO HOLES!!!!

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
spin baby spin

I'm 230 lb and have been riding and racing MTB for almost 20 years. I have never mangled a cassette although I have cracked a couple of freewheels. Shimano XT has worked for me and I have had no problems with Sram either. I replace my chain a couple of times a year and I make it a point to spin as much as possible when climbing. I also ease off the pedal stroke when shifting cogs on the climb. Works for me!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
XTR 12-32 8 speed is all I run. I've never bent any of them. I did mistakenly try out 9 speed and bent both of the cassettes I ran there(XT & LX 12-34). Learn to spin insead of mashing and your stuff will last much longer!

·
Registered
107 Posts
my 3 cents worth

I have been running 8 speed XTR (11-32) for a long time now. Despite running 180mm cranks, I have bent very few teeth. I due however wear them out, but it takes about 2 -3 years for me to due so. I only ride twice a week. A long time ago I had bikes with lesser components and I broke teeth off cassettes and snapped several chains. But now I have good luck with both SHIMANO and SRAM chains. A lbs recommended XT rather than XTR cassette for my new bike saying that it is stronger. I tend to agree.
I tend to have more problems with front chainrings than cassettes. I like stainless rings; they seem to outlast aluminum 3:1. :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you're bending 8sp cogs stay as far from 9sp as you can get. I never had cogs bend on 8sp but after running 9sp for a couple years I am getting really tired of having my shifting go all screwey in the middle of a ride to then look back and see a big wow in a cog. And it's not just clydes bending them I've seen 9sp XT cogs bend on a bike ridden by a strong 150lb woman.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've just bent my first cog set (xt) and replaced it w/ the sram 990. I haven't had any problems yet. I'm 5'10" and 220 pds. I think sometimes it has to do w/how you shift. I you really crank your shifts under power or are thinking ahead and shift more smoothly.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My big problem is ...

jason74 said:
I've just bent my first cog set (xt) and replaced it w/ the sram 990. I haven't had any problems yet. I'm 5'10" and 220 pds. I think sometimes it has to do w/how you shift. I you really crank your shifts under power or are thinking ahead and shift more smoothly.
I think my biggest problem is that I'm getting gunk in my cable line and it messes up the adjustment. So than I get ghost shifts while I'm trying to get uphill and that grabs a ring just enough to bend it out of place.

Eventually, I'm going to run full cable to try to minimize this but my cable runs are UNDERNEATH the top tube (bad move giant!!!!!). I need to find some screw on cable guides for the top tube.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have heard of stainless steel cassettes and chainrings that are supposed to be way stiffer. I'm not sure that they make them anymore, but it may be possible to find shops that still have old parts. There are people that specialize in old parts.

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
DrGlen51 said:
I have heard of stainless steel cassettes and chainrings that are supposed to be way stiffer. I'm not sure that they make them anymore, but it may be possible to find shops that still have old parts. There are people that specialize in old parts.
I thought modern cassettes were stainless.....

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Lx

~martini~ said:
XTR 12-32 8 speed is all I run. I've never bent any of them. I did mistakenly try out 9 speed and bent both of the cassettes I ran there(XT & LX 12-34). Learn to spin insead of mashing and your stuff will last much longer!
Get an LX cassette. The LX is much more durable than the XT and XTR versions. It is slightly heavier but who cares when you weigh over 200lbs. From my experience I would stay away from XTR and XT if you are torquing your way up big hills. Big guys will bend the xtr and xt cassettes much easier than a flyweight rider. I just bent my xt cassette and I have talked to many bigger guys that have as well. My next cassette is going to be an LX. Cheaper and stronger. Not much to argue about there.

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
ronny said:
Get an LX cassette. The LX is much more durable than the XT and XTR versions. It is slightly heavier but who cares when you weigh over 200lbs. From my experience I would stay away from XTR and XT if you are torquing your way up big hills. Big guys will bend the xtr and xt cassettes much easier than a flyweight rider. I just bent my xt cassette and I have talked to many bigger guys that have as well. My next cassette is going to be an LX. Cheaper and stronger. Not much to argue about there.
If I'm not mistaken... the shift ramps on the LX are not as 'performance oriented' and will not shift as smoothly and quickly as an XT/XTR. This might lack of 'smoothness', for lack of a better word, might cause bent cogs during agressive shifting.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Wrong!

Scary Mc said:
If I'm not mistaken... the shift ramps on the LX are not as 'performance oriented' and will not shift as smoothly and quickly as an XT/XTR. This might lack of 'smoothness', for lack of a better word, might cause bent cogs during agressive shifting.
You are correct about the shifting being slightly smoother on the higher end XT/XTR but the LX cogs are stronger and heavier resulting in less bending. I went to a couple of bike shops on this and read a lot of reviews on the LX/XT and everyone told me the same thing. If you want durability get the LX and if you want smoother shifting get the XT or XTR but the life of the cassette will be shorter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.