Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks back I had heard (from a reputable source) a rumor that Trek might be doing a 29er; I didn't think too much of it until this weekend when I had a chance to speak to a rep. These are the bits he was able to share:

1) Most importantly- there are some trek pro riders out there riding prototype 9.8 29ers!
2) Trek has received input from their dealers (who are NOT Fisher dealers) that they too would like to offer a 29er
3) It would be the only carbon 29er on the market
4) It would revamp the declining sales of the 9.8 (now mostly sold to bike shop employees due to the high price tag)
5) It would probably be sold as a frame only- since most people seeking such a beast would be more on the performance/racing end of the spectrum and would want to spec it out to their liking
6) Obviously the price would be a major issue (I think that they could price it close to a Dos Niner and be very competitive)

I wanted to pass this information along and see what everybody thought. Personally, I think it is one helluva an idea and would be the first one in with an order!

XC

Attachments

2,751 Posts
I too spoke with a TREK rep who said all the carbon stuff is pretty much on hold since they can't deliver the Madone or other models this year. The factory demo reps don't even have many carbon model bikes in their demo lineup since there is no way they can build. Apparently our US gubment has a lock on a good bit of the carbon for war purposes (that seems to be the general answer.)

This would be great, but I can't see it happening for a while. At least not until the current Madone orders can be built, fulfilled, and shipped. Any Trek dealers here that can chime in?

· Registered
3,088 Posts
xctearor said:
A few weeks back I had heard (from a reputable source) a rumor that Trek might be doing a 29er
Interesting. I was under the impression that the molds (one necessary for each size) for their carbon bikes cost $100k each or something. If this is the case, and Trek is seriously considering producing a carbon 29"er, then our market must be a lot bigger than anyone's ventured to guess.

· Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,706 Posts
that's what i was thinkin'

miles e said:
Interesting. I was under the impression that the molds (one necessary for each size) for their carbon bikes cost $100k each or something. If this is the case, and Trek is seriously considering producing a carbon 29"er, then our market must be a lot bigger than anyone's ventured to guess.
good point. obviously, Trek has the resources to do it, and they would certainly be claiming the carbon corner of the market. i would love to see it become a reality. not holding my breath, but chiming in to say, "go for it Trek. we support you!"

really, all they need to do is get Lance to ride one at a local MTB race this coming off season and then they could sell a thousand in a heartbeat. :p

· Registered
903 Posts
2melow said:
I too spoke with a TREK rep who said all the carbon stuff is pretty much on hold ... Apparently our US gubment has a lock on a good bit of the carbon for war purposes
Huh? Since when is carbon a commodity? I don't get it.

An interesting tangent: during WWII, all the copper in the country was being used, but the Manhattan Project was still given top priority. They needed a whole bunch conducting something-or-other to make huge coils, but their main material (copper) was already being used. So, the US silver reserve was plundered for this purpose. After the project was over, then melted everything down and returned it. (That was the abridged version of the story.)

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carbon commodity

2melow- Yeah I also heard about the carbon "shortage". Trek is supposedly putting the kabosh on employee purchasing any of their carbon fiber frames in '05.
The rep didn't really give any sort of time frame (it would be quite a ways out), it was just good to hear that another manufacturer is experimenting with a 29er.
-XC

· Recovering couch patato
13,971 Posts
About time Trek made a buck out of the path that Gary prep'd for them.

Perhaps Trek sees that US carbon is not going to be IT. Taiwan carbon is doing just fine lately, and can be had for very cheap.

Related to the shortage story : I read that they found a huge Titanium field off or on the CA coast? If it's going to be used to potential, it could turn the US bike market around.

· Recovering couch patato
13,971 Posts
A 29/26 Fuel... I'm sure it''ll be better than a 26" Fuel, but not close to the real thing. Also illegal for UCI racing, it won't be a success I'm afraid. someone stop 29/26 from becoming a hit! It's a poor man's 29"er. I did this as one of the first (I think Bigwheel was the very first with the Bobtail), just to get a feel of the front wheel. It was good, but so much less than the real thing.

· Harmonius Wrench
8,130 Posts
Cool bike idea if you can wait!

I work at a Trek dealer. We tried to place an order for a new carbon road bike and were told that, at the earliest, it would be July, and probably later. Also, Trek has already raised the prices on available frames coming out of Waterloo, and that future price increases are not out of the question. With petroleum futures going nuts, I'd plan on the prices going up more.

So, while it's a nice idea, and very well may become reality, it will be VERY difficult to obtain one, unless Trek can get its supply/ demand equation balanced out again.

As for the lugs costing so much, that was true, originally. But now it wouldn't be too tough to take a current 9.8 and tweak it to 29' inch wheeled use. Many of the current parts would cross over. And how about that headtube/ downtube junction? Wouldn't that solve all your Reba/ White fork crown striking issues!

Would love to see this, but it needs to be affordable, available, and maybe not carbon. Oh well! There is always Fisher's bikes. Ho Hum! :rolleyes: ;)

· Registered
1,043 Posts
2melow said:
I too spoke with a TREK rep who said all the carbon stuff is pretty much on hold since they can't deliver the Madone or other models this year. The factory demo reps don't even have many carbon model bikes in their demo lineup since there is no way they can build. Apparently our US gubment has a lock on a good bit of the carbon for war purposes (that seems to be the general answer.)

This would be great, but I can't see it happening for a while. At least not until the current Madone orders can be built, fulfilled, and shipped. Any Trek dealers here that can chime in?
I wonder if Trek will offer a Fuel model with the Radar absorbent coating of the F-117.

· Registered
374 Posts
What it looks like / what it is.

The company that makes the Trek Madone frames also does a lot of other brands work, and does a decent job, but is in fact up against a wall. What is going on here is the result of a major dilemma in our country at the moment. It's pretty neat to have an inside view of it all. See, much of the carbon supply has indeed been requisitioned by the gov for military options. Same holds true for ti & 7075 Al. Typically, the gov plans ahead with these industries, so they don't find themselves up shti creek. But not, it seems, this time. No planning, no ramping up for the war effort. Actually, they were still ramping down when we rushed into this offensive we're currently immersed in. So now the suppliers are furious, the distributors are too, and the customers (sporting goods companies, for instance) are totally screwed. But, the reality is, now that we've swung a stick at the hornets nest, we have a whoooole lot of dirty, non-christian, poor people to kill, and advanced weaponry systems don't grown on trees. Anyone and everyone who doesn't make equipment in the business of killing people is a low priority, and simply out of luck. Titanium & carbon stores already reserved for several companies have been redirected with new military priority numbers. What's that you say? Bicycles? For the Navy or Marines? No? Well, without a priority number, you're not even on the page that contains the bottom of the list. Most people whose business it is to be involved in these things, have been concerned for some time that soon the only mfg industry the US will be capable of supporting is the industry of war (sometimes called "defense", though that's sugar coating it something fierce). This is a horribly unstable position for a country to find oneself in. As long as you're winning in war capabilities, you're okay. Quality of life suffers, but at least your'e left alone. For a while. Hey, it worked for Rome. For a while...

Anyway...

A new, small Carbon Plant on the east coast is being built right now, to ease the pain. 20billion dollar plant. Unfortunately, it won't be up & running for 5 more years, during which time China will likely continue to assert itself into the position of the worlds formost superpower. This will be an interesting time period to be alive in.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Airbus

I read (her?) that it was the new mega Airbus plane causing the shortage of carbon as a commodity. I agree with the people stating that composites have the future when it comes to bikes.
Such incredible responsiveness and performance!

Master Shake said:
The company that makes the Trek Madone frames also does a lot of other brands work, and does a decent job, but is in fact up against a wall. What is going on here is the result of a major dilemma in our country at the moment. It's pretty neat to have an inside view of it all. See, much of the carbon supply has indeed been requisitioned by the gov for military options. Same holds true for ti & 7075 Al. Typically, the gov plans ahead with these industries, so they don't find themselves up shti creek. But not, it seems, this time. No planning, no ramping up for the war effort. Actually, they were still ramping down when we rushed into this offensive we're currently immersed in. So now the suppliers are furious, the distributors are too, and the customers (sporting goods companies, for instance) are totally screwed. But, the reality is, now that we've swung a stick at the hornets nest, we have a whoooole lot of dirty, non-christian, poor people to kill, and advanced weaponry systems don't grown on trees. Anyone and everyone who doesn't make equipment in the business of killing people is a low priority, and simply out of luck. Titanium & carbon stores already reserved for several companies have been redirected with new military priority numbers. What's that you say? Bicycles? For the Navy or Marines? No? Well, without a priority number, you're not even on the page that contains the bottom of the list. Most people whose business it is to be involved in these things, have been concerned for some time that soon the only mfg industry the US will be capable of supporting is the industry of war (sometimes called "defense", though that's sugar coating it something fierce). This is a horribly unstable position for a country to find oneself in. As long as you're winning in war capabilities, you're okay. Quality of life suffers, but at least your'e left alone. For a while. Hey, it worked for Rome. For a while...

Anyway...

A new, small Carbon Plant on the east coast is being built right now, to ease the pain. 20billion dollar plant. Unfortunately, it won't be up & running for 5 more years, during which time China will likely continue to assert itself into the position of the worlds formost superpower. This will be an interesting time period to be alive in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.