Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Caught on tape? By the Oregon Field Guide crew??

I used to live in Portland, and agree that it's taking forever and ever and ever and ever to get biking singletrack in there. Maybe I'll see it by the time I'm 80 years old.

But it has to be done properly. This can only give biking a black eye.

·
Registered
590 Posts
On the one hand:
It's pretty lame that someone did this. I agree it's vandelism by a small and selfish group, of a beautiful public resource that belongs to all. This type of action doesn't help anything or anyone to achieve the desired end result of mt. biking in the park. ...Or bike access overall.

On the other hand:
Something needs to light a fire under the beauracratic nit-wits to put some legitimate plans for mt. bike access in place sooner than later. The conversation has been serious for a few years now and it's total B.S. that the folks running the joint have yet to come up with a plan. Their talk is cheap and tiresome.

I agree with the closing of the story and Frank Selker's assessment of the situation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Such a frustrating situation, but NWTA needs to use this to their advantage. The commissioners appear to be legitimately open/interested in expanding singletrack mtb opportunities in Forest Park. However, make no mistake, for the opposing groups the only acceptable result is no new trails whatsoever and no expanded mountian biking opportunities. They will actively try to use this news as an example of mountain bikes tearing up the park, mountain bikers not being responsible stewards, and not worth trusting--whether they say it in the open or not. This does NOT have to be a black eye. Rather, it should be used to show the city and the oppostion that this is going to happen either the right way or the wrong way. Better for everyone involved to do things the right way.

As much as I disrespect vigilante trail building, sometimes its the swift kick in the butt needed to get the powers that be to recognize a problem. I know many will disagree, but you should check out the Freedom Riders movie and see how that turned out.

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
In the Oregonian

Yep, I read the article in the Oregonian this morning. First thing I thought when I saw the headline was "oh f#$k." I had heard the rumors but now it's out for all to see. Now the opposition groups have something more arguments to hold onto, even though I see a lot of rouge trails from hikers in Forest Park not to mention the West Hills. Improper hiking trails also cause erosion, habitat, and plant damage too.

Rouge trail building has been an issue now for a number of years...pent up demand with no outlet. Unfortunately this type of activity usually creates setbacks and additional tensions between the MTB community and land managers. Hopefully it turns out well in the end.

I guess my message for the rouge builders is why don't you use some of your energy to get involved to create legal trails. That way we can all enjoy them, land managers are happy, more trails get built....it's a win-win-win.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
They are trying ...

I believe NWTA is trying their hardest to use this and other events to move Forest Park in the right direction.

I am trying to work with NWTA to create a National Bike Patrol in the park. I think this would help in several ways:
  • Evidence of self-policing
  • Better PR
  • Actual help (directions, first aid) for hikers and bikers
  • Better to change policies from inside

I have lived around PDX for about 5 years now, and I've been asked in the past to help with Forest Park, but the time was not right then, in my opinion. But the time to address this has arrived.

·
endoguy
63 Posts
This does represent an opportunity to pursue more trails for mountain biking. To make available already existing trails , i.e. firelanes 2 and 7, would be better than what is available now. I agree that the building of "illegal" trails represents the frustrations we riders have. Something needs to be done for the mountain bike riding population or else this behavior of independently building trails will persist.

G

·
Well, I just saw this story on the news and the cops are looking for the people who made the trails.
As much as I disrespect vigilante trail building, sometimes its the swift kick in the butt needed to get the powers that be to recognize a problem.
The "powers that be" are now looking to arrest some "vigilante trail" builders. Apparently; OPB has some footage of a confrontation with bikers working on the trail. Note to vigilantes; when you are doing something illegal; don't do it on video.
Even without knowing all the details; this is most likely not going to help the mountain biking cause in that area.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
One of the top news stories on ch 8

Followed the Collins jury decision story...the way it was timed and spun, one might have thought it was on the same level as these two thugs beating a XC skier. Love tree huggin' Portland and our local media giving what people want.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Too much effort for little return

Yep, illegal trail building is right up there with sex abuse and terrorism. No, but really, bad situation for mountain bikers in PDX. The idiots who did it should be fined.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow. Check out the video. Those guys should go home, get girlfriends, and get laid. Instead, they're out dicking around in the woods, making a mess, and setting back mtb access. Thanks a lot.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Get girlfriends?

charley289 said:
Wow. Check out the video. Those guys should go home, get girlfriends, and get laid. Instead, they're out dicking around in the woods, making a mess, and setting back mtb access. Thanks a lot.
Stay single and ride until your legs turn into rocks. Oh, I guess my chance at that has flown away ;)

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Just saw the story on Channel 8 news. The anchorman was stressing that it was through a pristine part of FP and its estimated damage is $80K. If the NWTA and its members rally and do some volunteer efforts to repair the area to its natural state in a sustainable manner, then I agree this could lead to something good. Although, these idiots that built the stuff should do some time or pay major fines.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think it's funny how Forest Park is considered "Pristine" yeah, it's a cool place for a quick reprieve, but come on...I don't think there is a place in both Washington and Forest Park that aren't covered in a carpet of English Ivy or infested with Garlic Mustard and Holly. And they want to protect this from mt bikes.

I'll say it again, Forest Park is plenty big for New mt bikes trails to be built that wont harm the "pristine" enviroment in Forest Park. I wont hold my breath though.

And yeah, these guys kinda suck, there are appropriate places and times to do stuff like this and this isn't the time nor place.

·
Registered
451 Posts
OldHouseMan said:
I think it's funny how Forest Park is considered "Pristine" yeah, it's a cool place for a quick reprieve, but come on...I don't think there is a place in both Washington and Forest Park that aren't covered in a carpet of English Ivy or infested with Garlic Mustard and Holly. And they want to protect this from mt bikes.
Not to mention... power lines, gas lines, how many tons of gravel were used for Leif Erickson... etc. Why isn't there a big stink about reclaiming the fireroads and restoring those sections of the park?

I'm certainly not saying it's cool to blaze trails at whim in the park, but let's keep things in perspective.

I'm honestly surprised the mainstream / non-bike-centric media picked up on this at all.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ride_nw said:
I'm honestly surprised the mainstream / non-bike-centric media picked up on this at all.
That's the kicker right there. Most likely, opposition groups found out about this and actively used their connections in the press to make this a bigger story than it needed to be. Sadly, the mountain bike groups simply don't have the connections and political clout needed to swing the story back to the middle. The headline could have read something like "Illegal Trail Building in Forest Park Underscores the Need for More SingleTrack Mountain Bike Trails in Portland."

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.