Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been looking at a C'dale Rize 2 online. The bike ships unassembled in its original packaging with all the books and manuals. I asked the seller for the serial number and called C'dale to verify that it's not stolen (it's not). However, when I called C'dale, they said that if I don't buy the bike from a bike shop, I don't get any warranty. Has anyone here bought a bike like that and took it to a bike shop to have it assembled AND got the warranty with it or am I sol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
angels get bald too
Joined
·
412 Posts
rize2thetop said:
Hey guys, so I've been looking at a C'dale Rize 2 online. The bike ships unassembled in its original packaging with all the books and manuals. I asked the seller for the serial number and called C'dale to verify that it's not stolen (it's not). However, when I called C'dale, they said that if I don't buy the bike from a bike shop, I don't get any warranty. Has anyone here bought a bike like that and took it to a bike shop to have it assembled AND got the warranty with it or am I sol?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
?what is sol

you are wrong
you have to buy a cannondale in a shop or official retailer to get the warranty
you will only get warranty as first purchaser
maybe the seller (where you buyed the bike) makes the warranty (if necessary) for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kuan said:
Probably just the wheels need to be put on and the handlebars?
Nope, the whole thing is unassembled. I think just the lefty is attached. Everything else (breaks, pedals, etc.) is in its original packaging with manuals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,971 Posts
rize2thetop said:
Nope, the whole thing is unassembled. I think just the lefty is attached. Everything else (breaks, pedals, etc.) is in its original packaging with manuals.
that's a bit weird as cdale and others get their stuff in bulk from suppliers. There are no retail boxes of parts that ship with a bike, normally.

Honestly, something seems strange here. From what I know, you have to buy from an authorized cannodale dealer. They have to sell you the bike fully assembled and ready to ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
rize2thetop said:
Everything else (breaks, pedals, etc.)...
Nice going Rize - Tony's gonna be grumpy for like a week now! ;)

Seriously though - I agree with the others - something seems strange here - kinda gray market or something. Don't count on any warranty service.
 

·
Ridin' dirty!
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
CdaleTony said:
brakes. ITS BRAKES dammit
I found a better one! :D

".... (where you buyed the bike) makes the warranty (if necessary) for you...."

At least "brakes" and "breaks" sound the same.....;)
 

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
That's how new bikes come, partially assembled. They still require quite a bit of assembly, and adjustment. Things can get damaged in shipping, which can make it more difficult. And outside of having the bike assembled by a certified Cannondale dealer, there will be no warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Berkley said:
That's how new bikes come, partially assembled. They still require quite a bit of assembly, and adjustment. Things can get damaged in shipping, which can make it more difficult. And outside of having the bike assembled by a certified Cannondale dealer, there will be no warranty.
See that's what I'm confused about since that's exactly how bikes come but people are saying a bike like that is "gray area". I know when I called a bike shop to see if they can get me a left over rize, they looked at the list of what's left at the factory and said they would be able to get one. This place is in CA so either it's a bike shop or an authorized retailer who ordered it but haven't assembled it so it would be easier to ship. So now I'm wondering if I take it to a C'dale shop to have it assembled, will I have the warranty with it?

This place has it for ~$500 less than what bike shops have been quoting me so I would rather use the savings to get parts/accessories.
 

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
rize2thetop said:
See that's what I'm confused about since that's exactly how bikes come but people are saying a bike like that is "gray area". I know when I called a bike shop to see if they can get me a left over rize, they looked at the list of what's left at the factory and said they would be able to get one. This place is in CA so either it's a bike shop or an authorized retailer who ordered it but haven't assembled it so it would be easier to ship. So now I'm wondering if I take it to a C'dale shop to have it assembled, will I have the warranty with it?

This place has it for ~$500 less than what bike shops have been quoting me so I would rather use the savings to get parts/accessories.
People are saying that because you said this, which isn't the case.

rize2thetop said:
Nope, the whole thing is unassembled. I think just the lefty is attached. Everything else (breaks, pedals, etc.) is in its original packaging with manuals.
A bike that came totally unassembled with parts in separate original packaging would be out of the ordinary and shady, since that's not how bikes come. That would indicate that the deal may be a scam, or stolen, or worse in which case you definitely have no warranty.

All in all, if you're that worried about the warranty, buy the bike from a Cannondale dealer. You'll get better service that way, won't have to pay an assembly charge and the shop will be more keen to help you out in the future. The price difference will likely balance out over the long term.
 

·
Ridin' dirty!
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
What if one only buys a frame set.....that'll come without any parts/unassembled either....does that mean no warranty too?
As long it's purchased from an authorized dealer there will be no issues.....nobody can tell if it was assembled or not when you purchased it.
Keep your warranty card and sales receipt that's it.
I've never seen anyone getting turned away for warranty claims because they didn't have proof that the bike was purchased assembled.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Berkley said:
People are saying that because you said this, which isn't the case.

A bike that came totally unassembled with parts in separate original packaging would be out of the ordinary and shady, since that's not how bikes come. That would indicate that the deal may be a scam, or stolen, or worse in which case you definitely have no warranty.

All in all, if you're that worried about the warranty, buy the bike from a Cannondale dealer. You'll get better service that way, won't have to pay an assembly charge and the shop will be more keen to help you out in the future. The price difference will likely balance out over the long term.
I'm going to refer you to this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5859691&postcount=29

That's how the bike will arrive. I guess I said it a bit wrong. Sorry. The bike will not ship with parts in its original packaging. The pedals are in a separate bag marked "not for resale" from the pic I viewed of the sale. And I did call a LBS and they do get the box shipped just like that from C'dale.

What I'm worried about now is not getting the warranty since the original shop will not be assembling it but a local C'dale shop that I would take the bike to if I decided to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cdalemaniac said:
What if one only buys a frame set.....that'll come without any parts/unassembled either....does that mean no warranty too?
As long it's purchased from an authorized dealer there will be no issues.....nobody can tell if it was assembled or not when you purchased it.
Keep your warranty card and sales receipt that's it.
I've never seen anyone getting turned away for warranty claims because they didn't have proof that the bike was purchased assembled.......
Thanks! That definitely eased my fears.

Believe me everyone, I would so rather buy this bike from my LBS but they can't get it. The price they quoted me was for a 2010 RZ120!. The guy who was helping me didn't know a lot about C'dales and thought we were talking about the same bike. The out of state shop has a demo left over and an unassembled small in stock. I guess the M and L are much more popular for obvious reasons since most of the population is not 5'5":p

So I guess I'm going to go ahead and order it. I'll let you know how it goes:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,971 Posts
rize2thetop said:
Thanks! That definitely eased my fears.

Believe me everyone, I would so rather buy this bike from my LBS but they can't get it. The price they quoted me was for a 2010 RZ120!. The guy who was helping me didn't know a lot about C'dales and thought we were talking about the same bike. The out of state shop has a demo left over and an unassembled small in stock. I guess the M and L are much more popular for obvious reasons since most of the population is not 5'5":p

So I guess I'm going to go ahead and order it. I'll let you know how it goes:thumbsup:
something is not right here. Cdale shops cannot ship bikes. They are for pickup only. Maybe they can ship a demo to you, but then I would not be sure about the warranty.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top