Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
My cup runneth over
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 or 8 rides on my 2008 XC600 ATA TST2 and it really feels UN-plush. I have tried it at 80, 90 and 100 lbs with no help in plushness. I have messed with the rebound and compression too with no impact either. I am 190 lbs and running it on a Turner Burner. It appears to have A LOT of stiction too (not sure I really understand if this is truly stiction) but it takes a lot of force to break into it travel. When climbing I am used to my forks bobbing a lot unless locked out/having compression damping engaged; this XC 600 sinks into its travel on climbs and stays there – no bobbing – I have to really pump the handlebars to get it to bob. Other forks I have ridden on this bike (two other Marz, Fox 100 and two Manitous) were far more plush. Is there an oil reservoir on this fork that has inadequate oil in it? Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, take this for what its worth. I own a 2007 XC600 with ETA (not ths SL). The recomended air pressures set by Marzocchi are way to high. To get my proper sag, I run approx 50 psi of air, and I'm 200lbs with gear! I suffered from stiction also. After 4 good rides, its starting to loosen up, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Your problem with the fork sinking into its travel and staying there while climbing sounds just like the way the ETA is supposed to behave. I love that feature. Are you sure you don't have ETA instead of ATA??

That being said, perhaps you do have an oil level issue. I've never had an issue so I can't tell you where to look. Start with a lower air pressure to set your sag, then start adjusting your compression etc.

·
My cup runneth over
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response SRU.
sru said:
Well, take this for what its worth. I own a 2007 XC600 with ETA (not ths SL). The recomended air pressures set by Marzocchi are way to high. To get my proper sag, I run approx 50 psi of air, and I'm 200lbs with gear! I suffered from stiction also. After 4 good rides, its starting to loosen up, so I wouldn't worry about it.
I will give really low air pressure a try.
sru said:
Your problem with the fork sinking into its travel and staying there while climbing sounds just like the way the ETA is supposed to behave. I love that feature. Are you sure you don't have ETA instead of ATA??
ATA2, not ETA. I had ETA on an '04 Marz 100 coil - I didn't really care for the harshness.

·
My cup runneth over
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some closure on this issue: I tried it at 50 lbs and it sat in its sag waaay too much. I ran it at 70 lbs and it did OK. I also put some judy butter on the stantions and pumped the fork. It felt quite a bit more plush and the stiction seemed less. Hopefully after a little more use the stiction will go away completely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.