Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've got some UST Hutchison on a mavic 823 rim, that i can't unmount (to put on a different tire). The bead (wire i think) is firmly in the groove of the rim such that i have been unsucessful just using my hands to un-seat it. Yes, i'm a 110# weakling. Any way, are there any trick that would help me get this dam tire off?!
 

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
The only advice I can offer you really is man up, that and some tire levers. My tubeless setup can be hard to take apart when I've had the tires on for a long time.
 

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes stans

TNC said:
Did you have Stan's sealant in the tire?
Using stans. I've tried pooring some rubbing alcohol between the rim at tire, though there is no room for it to seap (sp?) in

the bead is in so tight that i can't get any tool in there to pry it out.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Not uncommon.

EricTheRed said:
Using stans. I've tried pooring some rubbing alcohol between the rim at tire, though there is no room for it to seap (sp?) in

the bead is in so tight that i can't get any tool in there to pry it out.
Yeah, the Stan's usually makes an impressive bead and rim lock. I use the Mavic sharp plastic tire tool to separate mine. Anyone's thin bladded sharp "plastic" tire tool will usually do a similar job. If that doesn't work, find a decently sized vise with some soft jaws...or at least pieces of wood...to clamp the tire as close to the rim as possible. Close the vise until one of the beads comes loose. Once you have one little spot of the bead away, you can use the tire tool to walk the rest of the bead around.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,006 Posts
TNC said:
Yeah, the Stan's usually makes an impressive bead and rim lock. I use the Mavic sharp plastic tire tool to separate mine. Anyone's thin bladded sharp "plastic" tire tool will usually do a similar job. If that doesn't work, find a decently sized vise with some soft jaws...or at least pieces of wood...to clamp the tire as close to the rim as possible. Close the vise until one of the beads comes loose. Once you have one little spot of the bead away, you can use the tire tool to walk the rest of the bead around.
weakling.....just manhandled it and stop being a bunch of puussies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
Put the wheel on the ground (on a piece of scrap carpet or something) and stand on the tire sidewall, each foot on the tire on opposite sides of the wheel. Using the inside heel edge of your shoe, push down on the tire right next to the rim. Works great, no pain, no damage to wheel or tires, been doing it for years. Once you break the seal, you can work around the rim (I just walk around mashing the sidewall down, but you can use a tire lever if you want to make it more difficult). Flip the wheel over and do the other bead the same way.

Don't worry about damaging the rims, they are plenty strong. Good wheelbuilders do this standing on the rims to pre-stretch the spokes when building a wheel.
 

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TNC you rock thanks.

Vise and some wood did the trick. Thank you. I get to go DHing tomorrow!
TNC said:
Yeah, the Stan's usually makes an impressive bead and rim lock. I use the Mavic sharp plastic tire tool to separate mine. Anyone's thin bladded sharp "plastic" tire tool will usually do a similar job. If that doesn't work, find a decently sized vise with some soft jaws...or at least pieces of wood...to clamp the tire as close to the rim as possible. Close the vise until one of the beads comes loose. Once you have one little spot of the bead away, you can use the tire tool to walk the rest of the bead around.
 

·
crashes in parkinglot
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
watermoccasin said:
Don't worry about damaging the rims, they are plenty strong. Good wheelbuilders do this standing on the rims to pre-stretch the spokes when building a wheel.
I've built a couple of wheels and i've never heard that before, i ususally just use a screw driver to push the spokes around to stress relieve them.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top