Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
middle ring single track
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murky News' lead story today:

Mt. Umunhum: Groundbreaking for trail to summit - San Jose Mercury News

MidPen is definitely using the opening of the summit as leverage for the upcoming bond election:

"Steve Abbors, the open space district's general manager, said it is counting on the bond measure to provide the $3 million needed to pay for repaving and adding safety features to Mt. Umunhum Road, which winds about five miles from Hicks Road to the summit."

Even though MidPen would get support from hundreds of retired veterans they specifically refuse to use any of the bond money to preserve the iconic "cube":

"The measure would not pay for restoration of the cube, a former radar tower. In 2012, the district's board of directors gave the tower a temporary stay of demolition, giving supporters five years to raise the $1.2 million needed to stabilize the building. The district also pledged about $400,000 for repairs, a project that is in the planning stages, Abbors said.

Tower supporters still need to raise another $1 million, said Sam Drake, president of the Umunhum Conservancy, a nonprofit organized to save the tower. He said he remains hopeful that larger donors will join existing supporters. The measure would also not pay for new district staff members."

(A $10k chain link fence around the base of the "cube" would suffice to protect the public from it; MidPen's directors are such fools)

If I could vote in Santa Clara County (I'm a landowner, not a resident) I would not vote for this bond. I don't mind paying higher taxes if something gets done; MidPen's track record does not warrant a $300M gamble IMO.

·
middle ring single track
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,584 Posts
Read the news this morning. Glad to see this might be going somewhere afterall… of course, a mere 3 - 4 years after it was supposed to. :rolleyes:

·
Ted in real life
282 Posts
Don't get excited too soon. MidPen bought this land 28 years ago and has yet to open it. Apparently, their plans are for acquisition only and not public use.

·
Registered
822 Posts
What good is it for a Public entity to acquire land but not put it to use? Is there a private entity looking to build homes up there? :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What good is it for a Public entity to acquire land but not put it to use? Is there a private entity looking to build homes up there? :)
Sound like you may not be very familiar with MidPen.

They own roughly from Mt. Um down to Morgan Hill for starters.
I don't think it will ever see light of day as far as use is concerned (apart from cartels growing weed that is).

Seems like they operate like a investment firm, but for benefit of whom I don't know.

MidPen needs to go away, they are the Walmart/Chase Bank/Lehman Brothers of the South Bay Open Space. Just out to make themselves fatter. Wish I had the link to the staff salary data posted a few years back. Lots of "office workers" and "rangers" making healthy 6 figure salaries...

Probably a much better chance of actually accessing the land if it was sold to private developers...:cryin:

Just wait 'till they piss off the albinos!

·
Registered
822 Posts
MidPen needs to go away, they are the Walmart/Chase Bank/Lehman Brothers of the South Bay Open Space. Just out to make themselves fatter. Wish I had the link to the staff salary data posted a few years back. Lots of "office workers" and "rangers" making healthy 6 figure salaries...
Ask and ye shall receive...

Transparency page including salaries, compensation and expense reports....

Btw, the board of directors get $100/meeting...

And their salaries on are this page.

and the org chart is bigger than I expected.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,128 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup, $300m with a "priority list" sounds like a big comfy slush fund. They need to be run like a Silicon Valley start-up: $10m at a time on a very tight leash, with very specific budgets and goals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts