Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boy turns 4 next weekend. he's been tearing up his Specialized hotwalk so I figured I would get him his first 2 wheeler with pedals. I opted for the Redline Pitboss mostly because of the v-brake, but after I ordered it it really doesn't fit. After all the research I thought for sure I had bought the right bike. I ended up going out and picking up a specialized hotrock, so that he didn't feel like he didn't get a birthday present that he could play with. Now here is my dilemma, He has a Hotwalk, a Hotrock and a Pitboss. Do I sell the Pitboss or keep it for next year when he's a little bigger?

the main fit issue was the cranks. when I slammed the seat on the redline for him to fit, the 140mm cranks were right under his butt on the top of his stroke. Is it work keeping another 16" bike? or by the time he's big enough for it, will he be ready for a 20"?

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Just depends on the child, they all grow differently. My son spent 2 years on a 16 inch, but my daughter had a growth spurt and her 16 inch only lasted a year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hope I'm not a whoops too. I bought a Pitboss online without siting my boy on it and he wont be four till January. He hasn't tried it yet as I'm away for a few weeks at the moment and going to give it to him as a present when I get back. You know, the whole guilty dad for being away thing. Actually I'm feeling pretty excited about being guilty dad bearing gifts on return which I think rather defeats the purpose.

Anyway I agree that the 140mm cranks are much too long for the bike. They are nice cranks though so I'm going to put them in the parts bin for building up a 20" in a few years and bought some 115mm Sinz cranks to put on the Pitboss. You can get them for $48 shipped on Amazon. While I was messing with the drivetrain I also picked up an 18T Shimano freewheel and a 34T MCS chainring as it's fairly hilly where we live. Oh and ditched the stock Wellgo pedals as they're cheap boat anchors. Hmmm, maybe I should do a build report.

However given that you've already bought another new bike I'm not sure what the best answer is for you. Aside from the cranks, which of the Hotrock and Pitboss is the nicer bike?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the pitboss is defintely the nicer of the 2. Lighter, handbrake, lower handlebar.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have my daughter on a PitBoss. Ya the cranks are a little long, so it took a while for her to adapt. It blows away any of the MTB kid bike offerings as far as quality and weight.

Even my son's Marin MX50 that had a decent hydroformed Al frame still had crap components and was a tank.

I'd get shorter cranks instead of switching bikes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those cranks are just what I need. I think I'll return the specialized tomorrow. Little man will be psyched. Couldn't find them on Amazon, but found a pair on ebay. anybody know where I can find a 115mm 3 piece crank?

·
Emu's Taste Like Chicken
157 Posts
I went the pitboss route (found a used one at a local shop, saved a bit there). Same day I ordered the 115mm Sinz cranks from a BMX shop in Florida (JR BMX I think). Also swapped chainring and freewheel. He can easily spin out if there is a downhill, but I wanted him to have an easy time on hills. Can always change out when he is ready. I will likey be swapping to 17t from the 18t shortly.

Had to cut the seatpost a little also to get the seat down low enough so he could get his feet on the ground while in the seat. Also rotatd the handlebars back a little bit.

We just returned from a 10 mile ride on a rails to trails and the Pitboss made it an easy ride for him (and he had fun, so it was an easier ride for me). FWIW he is 4 years old and around 44". He loves to tell people he is on a 16" wheel bike. His Hobbybike was 12" and the Pitboss is lighter and rolls better.

--edit--

Found my order from J and R Bikes.

34t Chainring
18t Freewheel
115mm Square Taper SINZ Cranks
CRUPI Padded seat / post (cut down so he can get toes to ground when stopped)
3/23" Chain (didn't actually need this)
Freewheel tool

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
returned the Hotrock today, bike shop was Super cool about it, doesn't hurt that I'm friends with half the staff. Sinz 115mm cranks on order, as well as the seat that comes on the Hotrock. That part Specialized got right. I'll see about the chianring and SS cog when I get it back together. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you see the 2 bikes I ride right? I can't let ride just any bike. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts