Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it's a super rocky loop around a lake, 8 miles long, with a 1/2 mile spur trail that is steeper and rockier than the rest. climbs are short but some are pummelers, meaning unless you have mad trials skills you'll probably walk at least twice in the loop.

most of the time you are pedaling. my knees don't like it when I pedal clown-style with the seat shoved down all the way. and the V-Tach is too heavy to pedal standing for the whole loop.

it's one of the rare loop trails around this part of Western Montana that doesn't start with 1.5 hours of fire road climbing and end with 20 mins of technical DH.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JBsoxB said:
cool dog...
she says thanks. she's a rescue from the local Animal Control shelter. 2 yrs old, female mixed German Shepherd Dog and Chow/Hokkaido. she's a hellion on trail, likes to get out in front of me and look back over her shoulder as if to say "you are too fargin' slow with your stupid mechanical contraption, get yourself 4 legs and try to stay up with me idiot!"

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
The V-tach is soo soo soo hot. :drool: Those pics look really nice. :D

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
TNC said:
So Gonz, was it passable as an occasional trail rig? I mean were the weight and pedaling characteristics pretty decent for a big hit bike?
It certainly looks like its capable of all that. :D

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
TNC said:
So Gonz, was it passable as an occasional trail rig? I mean were the weight and pedaling characteristics pretty decent for a big hit bike?
I have been on mine since Jan (built up virtually identical to gonzostrikes) and I have been pleasantly surprised with its trailbike worthiness. So much so that I have entered it in this years test of metal:

http://www.testofmetal.com/

Along with about another dozen proud V-tach owners.....

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ditto to 006_007's statement, as I'm one of the others who's doing the ToM

although I'm definitely going to make a few parts changes before the ToM, mainly XC casing tires & tubes, and swapping in my Firefly Plus 6" singlecrown.

I don't run superhuge wheels. those are Hadley 150mm disc rear and Marzocchi 20mm disc front, 14ga spokes, and Arrow FRX rims. Most of my rotating weight is in the DH tubes and tires that I run most of the time.

and for sure, the 888 is a beauty fork but it's not an XC fork. I'm not Wade Simmons, ye know. not by a lot of miles. or kilometres. whichever. ;)

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
gonzostrike said:
ditto to 006_007's statement, as I'm one of the others who's doing the ToM

although I'm definitely going to make a few parts changes before the ToM, mainly XC casing tires & tubes, and swapping in my Firefly Plus 6" singlecrown.

I don't run superhuge wheels. those are Hadley 150mm disc rear and Marzocchi 20mm disc front, 14ga spokes, and Arrow FRX rims. Most of my rotating weight is in the DH tubes and tires that I run most of the time.

and for sure, the 888 is a beauty fork but it's not an XC fork. I'm not Wade Simmons, ye know. not by a lot of miles. or kilometres. whichever. ;)
Single crown? CHEATER! My buddy Bryan is going to be using his Monster for the event, so I have to run my 888 to be semi fair.....

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you guys live there and I'm only guessing here but I think your climbs are, on average, more difficult than most of ours. unless you're gonna tell me that they're all fire roads?

I have wicked nightmares of something like The Vein in Nelson BC. I suffered that one on a 38-lbs Bullit w/ Super T. I wouldn't want to do it on a 45-lbs V-Tach no matter how much better the handling on the descent.

but I'm trying to do most of my trail riding this spring on the V-Tach as is, to try to prep for the ToM. I have to keep beating back the voice that tells me to leave the V-Tach at home and ride the 6-Pack.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.