Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the point if it beats you to death:confused: I know more than a few guys that spend incredible amounts of money to have the lightest bike possible..and they are overweight? huh? or the guy that doesnt even race and spends mega bucks on light weight parts..and suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder...for real:eek:ut: .I see your point guys;) greyhound built XC types who need every edge benefit from a light bike but the rest of us? whats the point.I stopped striving to lower my bike weight when mbt action said a trail bike under 35 pounds is acceptable, me? I have a 27 pound ibex hardtail with 100mm Marzocchi fork built fairly tough and a Heckler at 33lbs, both bikes I can ride all day with out paying the price of a racer boy bike, talking trail bike here ok? not XC racing bike.I go for light weight but not something that is going to snap or is going to cause me pain on long rides..cheers mate:)

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
I find that my lighter bike is more maneuverable; I like it and it's a "portly" 23lbs FS. I can only imagine what some of these crazy light bikes must feel like. I even use mine for light downhilling too (Blue Mountain, no double blacks tho) ... light doesn't mean "weak" ... just, generally, means someone spent the time to remove all the extra weight that costs manufactuing dollars.

Also, a light bike at the controls of someone who doesn't suck is taking a lot less of a beating than an unskilled person would put on it. One of my groupride partners hops on picnic tables, drops off random crap, and this is on his 10+ year old Ti Norco hardtail (coming in at 21lbs I think with the original SID fork) .. still fine..

·
Registered
620 Posts
oldsalty said:
What is the point if it beats you to death:confused: I know more than a few guys that spend incredible amounts of money to have the lightest bike possible..and they are overweight? huh? or the guy that doesnt even race and spends mega bucks on light weight parts..and suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder...for real:eek:ut: .I see your point guys;) greyhound built XC types who need every edge benefit from a light bike but the rest of us? whats the point.I stopped striving to lower my bike weight when mbt action said a trail bike under 35 pounds is acceptable, me? I have a 27 pound ibex hardtail with 100mm Marzocchi fork built fairly tough and a Heckler at 33lbs, both bikes I can ride all day with out paying the price of a racer boy bike, talking trail bike here ok? not XC racing bike.I go for light weight but not something that is going to snap or is going to cause me pain on long rides..cheers mate:)
Some people buy ferraris when a souped up cheaper car can beat it. Doesn't mean you should or shouldn't buy a ferrari. People have different tastes, obviously different than yours. BTW, my 20lb FS blur XC has been ridden 3 days/week for 3 years without any snaps or pains on long rides. To everyone their own.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you race?...suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder? quote ONE review that says a ultra light racer boy bike makes a comfortable trail bike.Be honest..is your bike bucking you about on a technical downhill compared to my 32 lb Heckler..or even my 27 pound hardtail that has a fork that actually works, seriously doubt you bike is not good for anything other than a manicured xc course.I can bomb downhills on my heavier...and more competent trail bikes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
oldsalty said:
Do you race?...suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder? quote ONE review that says a ultra light racer boy bike makes a comfortable trail bike.Be honest..is your bike bucking you about on a technical downhill compared to my 32 lb Heckler..or even my 27 pound hardtail that has a fork that actually works, seriously doubt you bike is not good for anything other than a manicured xc course.I can bomb downhills on my heavier...and more competent trail bikes.
salty-

What's racing or obsessive compulsive disorder have to do with having the stuff you want on your bike? Do you worry that you bike is heavy as hell? probably not, nor do I care and post in other forums...Why do people like riding heavy sherman tank bikes? That's your riding style and type of bike suited for its use. Is it not obvious my bike is made for xc and not bombing downhills. I don't think I can find someone with a downhill bike made weight weenie style. As an all around bike, I too would build something a little more beefy. Wouldn't see me riding a 22 lb rfx,maybe 26 lbs and still feel just as safe. Every bike has its use to the user. Lightweight uses for me are for my considerations and what I like to have and use it for. Again, to each his own.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
oldsalty said:
post full of smilies? check.
unnecessarily naming parts that came on your own bike? check.
brand name dropping? check.
complaning that people are willing to spend more for what they really want? check.

congradulations! you're an ibex owner!

Some people are willing to spend more to get a bike that makes them happier. Why should that bother you?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
mereel said:
IT IS A WEIGHT WEENIES FORUM!!!
if you do not agree with the concept, fine go play somewhere else.
A little aggressive, but it's true. Some of us are "greyhound built XC types who need every edge benefit from a light bike." I don't ride downhill, but I don't go starting threads in the DH forum telling them they ride overweight bikes, and who doesn't ride back up the hill anyway.

If you're not interested, that's OK. Some of us are.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
snowdrifter said:
25-28lb trailbike is very attainable, with solid parts, just expensive.
22 lb trailbike is attainable (albeit there's a bit of a wait at the moment): http://ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/

...5.5 inches travel front and rear, DW Link, solid build with no silly parts...and yeah, expensive. But sweet.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
scottzg said:
post full of smilies? check.
unnecessarily naming parts that came on your own bike? check.
brand name dropping? check.
complaning that people are willing to spend more for what they really want? check.

congradulations! you're an ibex owner!

Some people are willing to spend more to get a bike that makes them happier. Why should that bother you?
hehehe

seriously though. i ride a heavy bike, and am too cheap to go all weight weenie on it. but, i know the advantages of a light bike. if you have the cash to make your bike just the way you like it, than go for it. If you are happy with how your bike is, than just ride it and smile.

·
monster member
1,192 Posts
I'd of thought with your screen name "old salty" that you would've been in this hobby awhile. With a name like that, weren't you around back when mtbs were all the same? As the XC, HT, FS, DH, etc. subgroups developed, everyone gravitated towards there choice, once again proving the "different strokes for different folks" saying.

What's your problem with that?

People riding since back then can typically bomb a rocky downhill on a full rigid almost as fast as on a FS, so what's the point of a big plush fork on a XC hardtail?

If you want to bomb downhills on fat, plush bikes that hardly feel like bicycles anymore, why not get into motocross where you can bomb the uphills too? Of course, I've never jumped into the DH or freeride forums to ask this... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
822 Posts
oldsalty said:
I see your troll, and raise you the LaLonde brothers:

http://fisherbikes.com/

That would be them on the front page there. On fully rigid carbon fiber 29er single speeds. That weigh about 18lbs max.

Their results: http://www.wors.org/results/results.php?year=2008&race=2&type=o&cat=elite

http://www.wors.org/results/results.php?year=2008&race=3&type=o&cat=elite

So, yeah, those racer-boy, superlight bikes can be ridden fast uphill and downhill. Much faster than you, Nancy.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
150mm travel and only 22lbs, solid build just take the 150mm travel with a pinch of salt.
If you use it for its purpose and Scott hasn't ****ed the carbon wall thickness again it will be fine.

I'd be more than happy to ride it and feel safe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
EGF168 said:
150mm travel and only 22lbs, solid build just take the 150mm travel with a pinch of salt.
If you use it for its purpose and Scott hasn't ****ed the carbon wall thickness again it will be fine.

I'd be more than happy to ride it and feel safe.:thumbsup:

Holy shiite, 6" travel 22lbs. I'll take my RFX statement back. Yowzers. That has to be a 6K plus bike for certain.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
protocol_droid said:
Holy shiite, 6" travel 22lbs. I'll take my RFX statement back. Yowzers. That has to be a 6K plus bike for certain.
You'll want to sit down for this, $11,500 is the price tag for Limited model you see in the pic.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
some people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for antiques that sit on a shelf and do absolutely nothing.

theres not much validity for weight-weenie'ing a bike, the end doesnt justify the cost at all. but its what some people like to do. who cares, their money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.