Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who won the Ultracentric 24 and 48 races in McKinney this weekend?

·
Registered
791 Posts
We won the 24hr 4man race. I didn't know the 24solo winner, but it wasn't who I was expecting. The 48solo winner was that Haas guy.

edit: I wouldn't expect the results to be posted anytime soon, if at all. That was the worst run event I've ever been to and the race director, Robert Tavernini, is a lying pos. We got absolutely nothing for first place...just an "attaboy". We spoke with the owner of the "sponsoring" bike shop, and he had no idea he was a race sponsor. In good faith, the shop owner offered to refund our entry fees....but we declined. Robert had promised $3k worth of cash/swag from said bike shop. This will be Robert Tavernini's last dance in the mtb world and I won't do another ultracentric event until he is replaced as race director.

·
Registered
228 Posts
24 Hour Solo winner

The winner of the 24 hour solo was a Florida college student. His first name is Chris and I won't even attempt to butcher the spelling of his last name.

Chris was a pretty impressive young rider, he was keeping pace with our 4 man team for a while. And he won the event without any support.

·
Registered
86 Posts
kstine71 said:
The winner of the 24 hour solo was a Florida college student. His first name is Chris and I won't even attempt to butcher the spelling of his last name.

Chris was a pretty impressive young rider, he was keeping pace with our 4 man team for a while. And he won the event without any support.
Chris was an impressive young man, for sure. However, he was sent home without a payout check and a promise of "we'll talk next week".:nono: Doubt he'll get it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
chainringrrl said:
Chris was an impressive young man, for sure. However, he was sent home without a payout check and a promise of "we'll talk next week".:nono: Doubt he'll get it.

That's absolutely ridiculous. What excuse did Robert give for not handing him a check? Did he claim that Chris didn't earn it, or did Robert just not have it to give?

(I was the 2nd place solo finisher, missed the "mileage requirement for payout" by 24 miles, partly due to poor promoter communication)

Brian

·
Registered
228 Posts
That sucks! That's a college kid that drove all the way from Florida for this race. I know the guy was racing a Moots, but I'm sure he could have used the prize money as most students could.

I wonder what the story is with the prize money. Considering the extremely high entry fees, you'd think they could payout as advertised.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What a POS!! :madmax: That prize money was attractive and I almost booked a flight down at the last minute in hopes of coming home with some. Fortunately, I couldn't quite pull it off at the last minute.
Does anyone know if there were any women solos or SS solos? If so, who won?

·
Registered
228 Posts
ketchd said:
Does anyone know if there were any women solos or SS solos? If so, who won?
There was at least one women solo 24 that I saw. She was pitting next to our tent and there were Colorado plates on their SUV. Didn't catch the name, but I'm pretty sure she won.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
ketchd said:
Were you the first place SS? If so, then he owes you $3K. Check out:

http://www.ultracentric.net/mountainbike.html

That prize money is for all 24 and 48 hour categories (male, female, SS).
He was 1st SS solo 24, 2nd 24 solo overall. Had a pretty amazing race.
But if you'll notice, they made a small change a day or two before the race and attached a minimum mileage to the payouts (big green box halfway down the page).

I agree PBnJ should get paid. If you advertise (and charge huge fees), you should also be held accountable to what you stated day 1 to attract racers to pay these entry fees. The fact that minimum mileage requirements were posted days before the race (I wasn't aware of them until after the fact) is low-down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was just noticing that little last minute BS add-on requirement. It could also be interpreted that if you meet the requirements, then you'd get the $4K (instead of $3K) that it says..... Who knows. What a f'n [email protected] I'm glad I didn't go down there for the race, cuz I might be behind bars today for kickin' the sh!t out of him. :madman:
PBnJ, great job man! Was there much climbing? How long were the laps? How many did you knock off?

·
Registered
95 Posts
ketchd said:
PBnJ, great job man! Was there much climbing? How long were the laps? How many did you knock off?
Thanks... There wasn't much climbing, so my 2x1 rigid 69er was just the thing. I took my first break longer than 10 minutes around the 14 hour mark, when I sat down and tried to do some math. By my computer, I would have to keep up the same pace I'd been averaging during the day, all the way to the finish, in order to hit the minimum mileage. My night laps were slower though, so I could tell I wasn't going to hit it. With that knowledge, I did 2 more laps and hit the tent for some rest. I slept for a blissful 4 hours, then got up and did 5 more laps before the 10am finish, for a total on my computer of 22 laps... 150.21 miles.

The problem was, my computer was showing 6.75 miles per lap, but Robert had calculated the "minimum mileage requirement" based on 8 miles per lap. I didn't realize that until after the race. If I had known that when doing my math at midnight, I would have skipped the sleep, and easily gotten the extra 3 laps needed for the $1500 2nd place cash payout (25x8=200).

Like I said, I only consider it partly his error (he should have had a minimum lap number, not mileage amount)... I should have been more on top of it. But honestly, I didn't think I'd be in a position for it to matter, when I started the race. And, apparently the payout was bogus anyway. No more UltraCentric Experience for me, thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I spoke with the event photographer, Luis, this morning. He doesn't want to dis Robert yet, but he hasn't received his promised payment yet for flying out from California to take photographs. His name and services weren't plugged on the UC website like they were supposed to be, either. Just a flyer in the registration packet.

Luis seems like a good guy... he says his photos will be ready for viewing/ordering in a day or two, at this website: www.reflectionsphotographystudio.com

·
Registered
791 Posts
PBnJ said:
I spoke with the event photographer, Luis, this morning. He doesn't want to dis Robert yet, but he hasn't received his promised payment yet for flying out from California to take photographs. His name and services weren't plugged on the UC website like they were supposed to be, either. Just a flyer in the registration packet.

Luis seems like a good guy... he says his photos will be ready for viewing/ordering in a day or two, at this website: www.reflectionsphotographystudio.com

Aw man, he is a good guy. I'll check out his pics when they're up. I hope he gets paid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was the 12hr Solo Women winner (and only entrant). When they were doing "awards" I had to ask for my medal. I could care less about the award, I just wanted the recognition that I and the others deserve. Likewise, he did not even mention any of the 6hr winners.

I've raced different mtb races in multiple states run by local club organizations thru state organizations and this was the poorest run race that I have ever participated in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is ridiculous. Photogs not getting paid, the DJ was worried about not getting paid, the list goes on. Robert also negotiated down the amount that was paid to several of the runners AFTER the awards ceremony. Like someone else posted, some racers were also sent home with the promise of getting their checks later. AND, he's contacted several racers in the last day wanting them to destroy their checks and be issued new ones for a lesser amount. This is after he had the balls to change everyones grouping (lumping the SS racers into their respective gender category) AFTER the races started. I really hope that this all goes public and blows up in his face. It really had the promise to be a great event, but this is really running it into the ground. :madmax:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Anyone who witnessed any of this first hand, or is waiting to be paid, or is one of those asked to tear up a check, please contact Mark Abramson, the President of USAcycling, and tell him the details. His email is [email protected] . Please, no flames...he is here to help. The mtb event was sanctioned by usacycling and he has plenty of pull as President. He is watching these developments closely.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts