Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ultra Stealth Singleator!

Hey all,

I've drawn so much from this board, time to give a little back. And it is a little, but some may like it. People may remember reading about using MRP rollers on singleators, a home conversion, well, this gets rid of that "safety orange" colour. I guess it would apply to any tensioner that uses one of those orange rollers.

What we have here is a home-dyed roller, in the best colour of all, BLACK. A buddy picked up this tip over in the DH/FR board, and I thought it would be nice to share it here too.

This is so easy to do, just pull out the bearings, clean the roller if its dirty, and boil in fabric dye for about five minutes. The change is incredible! The whole tensioner seems to disappear on bikes, and with the quietness of the MRP roller, this is as close to a tensionerless system you can get, while still using a tensioner.

Nuff talk, time for pics!

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,604 Posts
Dang, that's nice

Really nice. Why doesn't MRP just make the rollers in black from the get go?

Anyway, I like it. Not as much as a dedicated SS frame but for those that must use a tensioner it is really cool. Nice job.

--Sparty

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
great tip

my kettle is getting ready for some boiling action! i may go dark blue. i always need some blue on my bikes...

i also wonder why they only make orange- maybe so you can easily identify them as MRPs...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think you're exactly right OneGearGuy about the orange rollers. It is product recognition. I don't mind the orange on a DH sled but it looks pretty lame on a single speed. Anyway, looks good singleguy.

·
Lazy People Suck
767 Posts
This may sound stupid

but does fabric dye permanently dye the pan that you are using? I just want to make sure that I don't end up with one of our more expensive pans upside my head. I already catch grief for the occasional grease stain on our towels

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stealth roller..

It's a 32x17 which seems like a good ratio for her, but couldn't do it without a tensioner. (Any suggestions?) Anyway, the singleator works perfectly / silently with an MRP roller, and black is definitely better in this case.

Attachments

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stainless Pot No Prob.

And I had seen the black rollers in a catalog, but seem hard to find in LBSs round here. This was much easier than ordering one.

Would love to see the results of other colour experiments!

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt it.

Made from different stuff, although I don't know for sure it wont work. All I can say is that it works for things made from urethane (at least I think that is what the MRP rollers are).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Water Bottles

Might want to be careful with that. I will see if I can find the tech to back it up, but I have read that the plastics in some waterbottles will start to leach nasty chemicals after being exposed to boiling water, and sometimes even dishwashers. It concerned me enough to always clean by hand now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts