Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what I use for climbing

http://www.snowpeak.com/gears/gs100a.htm

And it works great. I've never taken it biking but use it extensively in an alpine environment. Unlike larger, bulkier stoves, it doesn't come with a windscreen so you would have to construct one of your own. Also, above around 9000 ft or so it takes considerably longer to boil water. Otherwise, the stove itself, in it's little plastic box, is about the size of two zippo lighters put together. The fuel canister would also easily fit into a camelbak.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
I use an MSR Whisperlite that I bought abou 12 years ago for hiking. I still use it for hiking, but I've never taken it biking. Back then It was as light as they get, and its still probably among the lightest. Relatively easy to use too. Just another idea.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,567 Posts
Sk1nnyGuy said:
Anyone using a Jetboil stove?

Sometimes it would be so nice to have a hot mug of chocolate or mocho on a ridge top.

The Jetboil looks small enough to stuff in my Camelbak HAWG.

Thoughts?
If you're really only thinking about a hot mug (or two) of chocolate, why not just use a small lightweight thermos? Certainly less d!cking around and of comparable or less weight to the Jetboil. That being said, the Jetboil system appeals to my ultralite weight-weenie backpacking syndrome... If you need an excuse to buy some cool gear, go for it.

baker

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have one, love it, mean it...

I have the Jetboil, and for what you are doing it will work fine. Plan on a stored configuration space of almost exactly a Nalgene widemouth quart bottle. Boil the water, then add the cocoa, or if you are reheating, pay close attention. Ever seen a cocoa volcano? I think it took all of 45 seconds or so. I timed it starting fully packed, pulled ice water out of the fridge. From assembly to rolling boil in under 2 minutes. That's at ambient temperatures. Up at about 10,000ft and 40 degrees Farenheit, it took about 2.5 minutes or so. I bought a stand for cooking pots and found it inefficient, and tippy. So, I just bought the wife a companion cup and solved the problem. I haven't used the coffee press, but can see no reason why it wouldn't work as advertised. Also, after finishing it cleans fairly easily considering there is no teflon coating which was a nice suprise.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I have a jetboil as well. I took it on the 100 mile wilderness and many other backpacking trips. We only bring one for as many as four people. The best thing about the Jetboil is its efficiency regardless of weather conditions. Wind, rain, whatever...who cares just fire it up. In nine days we didn't go through 8oz of fuel. That was for three people making coffee in the morning and boiling water for dinners at night. The coffee press works flawlessly as well. Tea, cocoa, etc is a snap. Another good choice is the MSR superfly with the ti pot. It is light but for convenience sake, the jetboil is hard to beat. It is sweet.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Word of Caution!!!

lemon said:
http://www.snowpeak.com/gears/gs100a.htm

And it works great. I've never taken it biking but use it extensively in an alpine environment. Unlike larger, bulkier stoves, it doesn't come with a windscreen so you would have to construct one of your own. Also, above around 9000 ft or so it takes considerably longer to boil water. Otherwise, the stove itself, in it's little plastic box, is about the size of two zippo lighters put together. The fuel canister would also easily fit into a camelbak.
Any of the stoves that sit on top of a fuel canister (such as the snowpeak above) should NOT be used with a windscreen. A windscreen can cause the canister to heat up and explode. For the snowpeak one they do make a sort of windscreen that sits above the canister. Other than that I actually have a snowpeak canister stove. Light, small, simple, and reliable. What more could you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.