Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference in performance when not using the original G2 rotors with the Avids? I feel they seem to heat very quickly with the 08 XTR rotors (180F/160R) fading the braking power, so I wonder if they would have a better performance with the G2s (185F/160R). Does anyone know if the G3s are any better than the G2s and how they would go with the Ultimates?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
They shouldn't be heating too quickly - unless your riding DH terrain ?

I ran my Ultimates with XTR rotors - they worked well but not that well. Its hard to explain but the XTR rotors have a really smooth surface which i can only imagine means the pads cant bite as hard.

I swapped to Hope Pro floating rotors and the difference was noticable straight away, even without being full bedded in they offered more stopping power than the XTR Rotors.

Can i suggest maybe bleeding your brakes ? They might have overheated fluid in them which will be affecting how they handle heat.

What pads are you using too ?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the pads are the regular ones, not the organics. But is worth mentioning that the Ultimates are brand new? I have around 15-20 miles on them, do they have to "burn" the pads a lot more to start working properly? I don't recall the XTR having this latency time, they worked just fine right way.

But I'll try the original G2 rotors. That what you said about the smooth surface on the XTR rotors seem to be right, comparing both the XTR and the Avid G2 rotors, the Avids seem to have a "rugged" surface or someting like that, for that matter. I also thought about bleeding them just as you said, since they seem to lower the level of the fluid inside, just coming back after some pumping on the brake levers. Well, it's my first time on Ultimates, so I'm still getting used to them. :) Let's see.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Centrelock or 6-bolt wont affect braking power.

If the brakes are new with 15 hours riding how much actual braking have you done ?

To bed them in i find the best way is to ride round the block dragging the brakes a bit then release and let them cool off, keep doing this for about 20 mins should get them going.

If there that new and overheating already though thats a bit strange.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
JUST EDITED:

I had 2 hours on them during this week, unfortunatelly I could not go riding this saturday or today, hoping doing a deeper test tuesday morning and wednesday night.

What really happens is that the first punch in the lever of the Ultimates is like hitting a wall, but after some pushes, the braking power seem to fade away at each stroke on the lever, like the pads and/or the discs are overheating or something like that. Wonder if it's a problem that could be solved changing the rotor for the original 180/160 G2s that came with it. I also wonder how much time do they need to start grabing harder, but I am really interested in knowing if their performance would be different - for better - with the original G2s.

RF, I'm running XTR CL rotors, they look amazing and also are very stiff and seem to be very well vented. I'm using CL rotors because I came from a XTR brakeset that I just swapped for the Avids, also because I'm on a pair of DT 240s CL. But I'd get a DT adapter for 6-bolt discs to run the G2s, if it would be necessary. But I'd love to keep my XTR rotors, they give a nice look for the wheels, besides the quality is unmatched. Though the looks on the G2s are very plain, I'd choose braking power above looks anytime.

Tiffster, I'll try doing what you said. But I must say they feel amazing on the fingertips, very smooth and quick in action, compared with the XTR, which now seems like it was a long way pushing the levers until the pads start to grab the rotors. With the XTR I felt I had ABS, with the Ultimates, I feel I dropped an anchor! :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just reporting:

Night and day difference on the G2s. The Ultimates grab a lot stronger, and heck, they are STRONG. Never thought a XC brakeset could be so damn good for trail riding.

Just got rid of the XTR rotors. They are excellent, but along the XTR brakeset. Now I just wonder how stronger can the Elixirs be... :eekster:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.