Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You'll need to find $30.01 worth of additional merchandise to hit a total of $80, but using coupon code 6001500 through Sunday will net you a 20% discount, bringing the price of an Ultimate Truing Stand down to $39.99! Not too shabby.

Also try this 99 cent shipping code, also good through Sunday: 711522

·
Registered
109 Posts
I picked that truing stand up a little while ago and have to say, it's not all that impressive. Truing stands should be solid, steady, and generally appear to be high quality - the Ultimate Truing Stand really is none of the above. That said, it works well enough, but it's nowhere even remotely near the quality of a Park truing stand.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya know, I can only call it like I see it.

I only started working on and building my own wheels about 5 years ago, and for a while I was using a fairly inexpensive and lightweight Spin Doctor stand from Performance (rebadged Minoura). A little flexy, used some plastic parts where it shouldn't have, but all-in-all a decent stand. The wheel centering feature wasn't reliable, so I relied on the proven "flip-flop method" instead. Despite the fact it had left and right feelers, truing and building sessions were typically one-sided operations.

I finally decided I wanted to upgrade to something beefier and self-centering, so I spent some money on the Park TS-2. Extremely uncompromised, well built stand, but no weighted base (by no means a deal killer) and to my disappointment, the "self centering" feature of this stand was an approximation, not a mechanical certainty, and that caused me to quickly return it for a refund -- I'd be right back doing 1-sided flip-flop sessions as I had been with the Minoura.

Short of shelling out serious cash ($400+) for Park's true self-centering stand, I figured I was stuck doing the flip-flop (or using a dishing guage). So why not try a stand that didn't pretend, and at the same time accomodated 29"er rubber and cost nearly a third of what I'd just paid for the TS-2? I picked up an Ultimate.

Despite the positive reviews, I was a tiny bit skeptical of the single-sided design. I gotta tell you, I've been using the one-armed Ultimate for over a year, and I've been completely satisfied with it the whole time.

The true test has got to be this beast - over 8 pounds of wheel, consisting of a Rohloff Speehub, 700c Mavic touring rim, 165mm rotor and 600g+ 29" Nanoraptor. The stand is perfectly stable in all directions (thanks I guess to the heavy cast iron base -- it weighs over 6 pounds).

The fact that I can quickly true up a wheel this size without removing the tire is nice. And while, if I force it, I can cause a few millimeters of side-to-side flex where the indicator meets the rim's sidewall, it all holds perfectly steady under normal use and doesn't show any slop. I really can't find any fault to complain about.

The one-armed design is actually somewhat freeing, giving me unobstructed access to the "working side" of the wheel.

I did just order a Park WAG-4 dishing guage, which should allow me to check dish without removing the wheel from the Ultimate stand, making my builds even easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
thanks for the tip, I just got one, it rocks, all memories of my old POS Minoura are gone. It's actually more solid than I expected, the gauges have a nice stainless tip and the base is a rock. I like how the arm rotates so you can swap from side to side easily.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! I'm waiting on an order of spokes to arrive so I can build my first 20mm TA wheel up on mine.

What's up with Performance shipping? I placed an order for a Park dishing guage the same day I started this thread, and I ain't seen nuttin' yet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.