Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Ultimates mounted up. My front brake works great, but the rear has a problem. The lever feels soft, and the pad contact adjuster spins and spins, and never reaches and end. It also does nothing. Anyone know how that thing works, and if I can fix it?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I would say a bleed of the brake could help, it often does with too soft feeling levers. It could also help with the knob issue, but that's just a guess from my part, I'm not a big Ultimate expert. I'm not sure exactly how it works but if it changes the oil volume to adjust the contact of the pads and there is air in the system, it's quite possible that it doesn't do much, a good bleed could fix it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The pad contact adjuster is a worm gear that adjusts the position of the master cylinder plunger, I believe. Regardless, the worm gear can spin off the opposing gear on the plunger - it did on my J7's. Look up in there and see if you can somehow get the gears to engage again. I can't remember what I did to get them back together but it can be done.

The soft lever is probably due to air in the system - bleed the brakes and it should resolve it.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The pic is great. I was wondering how that thing worked....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.