Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
dan0 said:
what is the ultimate downhill dog, I'm thinking a breed with long front legs and short rear legs, a large ass for ballast, maybe a small solid head :prft:
Good question. We have a half breed. He's half Border Collie, half Springer Spaniel. He did killer in Oregon- but the So Cal Soil and heat is hard on his paws so he doesn't go anymore...

He was more of a "freeride" dog as he liked the bridges and drops. His biggest huck was about 6 feet to dirt tranny... he actually hit the drop in this photo... The other picture is mid ride at Bryce Creek near Eugene...

Attachments

·
eci
2,712 Posts
Good dogs:
Weimarnaer
German Short Hair
Boarder collie
Airendale
Grey hound
Mastiff
Ridgeback
Most labs
Beagle
Austrailian sheperd
German sheperd

Bad dogs:
Boxer(probably the worst dh dog ever)
Malamute/husky
Pug
Dachsund

Alot depends on where you live whether you should get a short or long haired dog. I have a lab and a GSP. Both are great. My buddies have most of the dogs listed and we have tried all on trails.

·
I walk up hills
186 Posts
Well my Chow Chow is not a great DH dog, far too lazy to actually move down the hill
:)
However he did do a 4' drop to flat yesterday which is cool considering he's too much of a puss to go down most set's of stairs. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
dan0 said:
what is the ultimate downhill dog, I'm thinking a breed with long front legs and short rear legs, a large ass for ballast, maybe a small solid head :prft:
One that can fit in your pack. On a more serious note, you need a fast dog that has endurance. Sheperds, Dalmations, Labs, cattle dogs like a Blue Heeler can go for a while to.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've got a whippet greyhound mix that is amazingly agile, fast, quick, everything you would want. But she freaks out when she meets any other bikers and makes a run back down the trail. This one isn't mine but they pretty much look the same.

Attachments

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
I love all dogs, but dalmations definetely are not the smartest of breeds... But like what was said before, you need a dog with endurance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
RageHardIntoTheBendies said:
Well my Chow Chow is not a great DH dog, far too lazy to actually move down the hill
:)
However he did do a 4' drop to flat yesterday which is cool considering he's too much of a puss to go down most set's of stairs. :rolleyes:
that Chow is CHILLIN!! those dogs can haul ass if they needed to.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,806 Posts
My dog is FAST. I was going downhill for about a mile, topped out at 28 mph, stopped, and he was about 5 seconds behind me!!!

He also knows to stay out of the way, and will definately attack anything threatening (mt lions), (or anything that looks like food). This guys Retriever jumped on me, my dog grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and dragged him off me... No fear of large drops or jumps, either... No fear of anything, really...

Pics:

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnails...54440141_54440141/fromupload=true/t_=54440141

He also won Judges Choice at an adba dog show (American Pit Bull Terrier), given to him by the president of the adba...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.