Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning the design of the true ultimate downhill bike. I kicked off my engineering project by purchasing a Super Monster Marzochi forks, 300mm travel. I plan to have disc brakes with a rear floating caliper. I plan on using a shifting hub located in the frame with a single chain going to a single rear cog (chain retension and no derailer to break off). I am seeking more ideas on features to engineer into the bike. It will eclipse everything currently on the market. It will have features never done before. I am a Mechanical Engineer and this will be my second downhill bike design. My first design was a custom donhill bike I designed and built while working at an engineering services company in Soquel, Ca.

Share you ulimate ideas.

Vincent Suro

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,659 Posts
make it out of something other than aluminum... internal transmission is a must... i'm assuming bye "ultimate" you're just looking for something that will mash over anything in it's path and won't actually ride well or anything right?

·
Cynical Bystander
6,763 Posts
coma13 said:
make it out of something other than aluminum...
Some 4130 cromoly would go nicely with Super Monsters. :thumbsup: :D :cool: ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ultimate Downhill

I do plan on making the frame from aluminum billet. The reason is that I plan to machine many features into the frame. 4130 is what I used on the first design. .059 wall 4130 to be exact. 4130 sheet metal would be what I would be stuck with for what i have in mind, and would not allow the features I am looking to do. As to the person who said that it wont ride well, how would you know? It may ride better than anything on the market. Keep negativity to yourselves please, positive ideas only :nono: . I havent heard any suggestions yet.

I will post pictures of my fist design tomorrow, they are on my home computer.

Vince :)

·
Samsonite Tester
3,873 Posts
Adjustable rear dropouts . Adjust the height , length , and axle type .

Shock shuttle ala Bullit , to allow for shock choices .

Lowish BB for cornering.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,106 Posts
*built in fork stops like those on the sinister r9.
*replaceable dropouts and deriallerhanger.
*adjustability in rear travel.
*a chromoly front triangle with an aluminum rear triangle would be sweet.
*needle barrings at all pivots with grease ports if possible. adjustable chainstay length
*12mm thru axel in the rear

just a few things id liek to see.ill post more when they come to mind

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like some of the suggestions posted. I plan on having a rear floating caliper. This could complicate making the adjustable rear dropouts. I had a problem on the first bike with caliper deflection/twisting.
The rear hub will be custom, not compatible with anything on the market (floating caliper).
I could put in adjustable rear travel. I was planning on a unifrom 300mm for each. Can anybody suggest why you would want assymetrical travel?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,659 Posts
vsuro said:
I do plan on making the frame from aluminum billet. The reason is that I plan to machine many features into the frame. 4130 is what I used on the first design. .059 wall 4130 to be exact. 4130 sheet metal would be what I would be stuck with for what i have in mind, and would not allow the features I am looking to do. As to the person who said that it wont ride well, how would you know? It may ride better than anything on the market. Keep negativity to yourselves please, positive ideas only :nono: . I havent heard any suggestions yet.

The fact that you're designing it around a Super Monster makes me think, with quite a bit of certainty, that there is no way it will ride well...

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,283 Posts
ya dude ditch the super monster

its not a downhill fork

if u want an ultimate dh bike, the fork will ruin it

youll save like... 5 pounds for a newish lightish race fork

good luck man i want to see some pics
seems like you knwo what your talking about:thumbsup:

·
Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
vsuro said:

Do you ride? If you make a bike from billet, everyone will laugh. If you put a worthless fork like a supermonster on it, everyone will laugh. Your bike is going to suck with 300mm of travel. I'd do A LOT more research before spending any more money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do you mean Nate? Be specific and clear as to why my choice of fork sucks. What travel does a Stance Kingpin have? Why is it better? Have you ever used a supermonster? If so what bike did you mount it on?

1 - 20 of 375 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.