Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently figured out i can likely get both these shocks to work on my coming short travel trail bike. I was almost set on the DBIL air but after a bit more reading both these shocks seem like a better bet.

being short travel, I'm looking for something that uses its travel efficient, good small bump, pretty supportive mid stroke, and decent bottom out, tho not too worried about bottom out as tuning thats typically easy to get dialed in an air shock.

Anyone have experience on either? both?

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,130 Posts
IMO, I'm not sure I'd consider either the "ultimate" air shock. That would probably be reserved for Intend Hover, which at $950 is probably the most premium air shock available.

The benefit to both DVO and Cane Creek is the ability to call them up and get tuning help based on a wide variety of application experience. The fiasco with the CCDB Inlines blowing up would make me a bit worried about their QA/QC, but it seems they've emerged them that with more reliable products.

No offense to the folks at Ohlins, but I haven't heard a single review of their suspensions for MTB that made it sound like they were worth the $250-$400 premium over everything else.

Based on this process of elimination, I'd say go with the Topaz.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Topaz can also be serviced much easier at home (and cheaper if you go to a shop). I would also guess that the Topaz has less sticktion due to its bladder design. I've owned coil shocks previously (currently on a Topaz), and can say that its sensitivity is not far off.

That said, it does lack exterior adjustments. I've found running the shock with the climb mode in the middle position provides plenty of support while still opening up on bigger hits, but you can't really fine-tune the LSC much more than that without opening the shock up.

You'll most commonly be adjusting "compression" by changing the bladder air pressure. The positive and negative chamber bands coupled with a large air can do provide a decently tuneable air spring, and the damper if fully reshimable to whatever config you'd like. However, if you're a constant tweaker then the Topaz may not be for you.

For CS, DVO is fantastic. They always have someone to pickup the phone, and can help you out with just about whatever you need. They can suggest different different shim setups, give you tips and tricks for servicing, and help you get your shock setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.