Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with this setup? The top three cogs (27, 24, 21) on the ultegra cassette are on a spider, no digging in problems there, the 19 and 17 are pinned together, should be OK, but the 15, 14, 13, 12 are all loose. I'm 165Lbs if it matters, but would love some feedback. My other alternative is the XT 11-32 cassette, which is definitely OK on the alum body, but much more spread (and heavy !) than I need.

I'm happy enough to replace the driveshell every couple of years, since I have the service kit.

thanks skinnies !

- Joel

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Bad idea...

I wouldn't recommend it. I think even the ones that are doubled up might give you problems, and the smaller cogs will mess it up pretty quick, especially if you can put down any sembence of power at all. I'm pretty light and small, but I race and manage to mar the hell out of mine, and I'm using mtb (XT) cassettes.

If you want to run a smaller (road) cassette on the King alloy freehub body, run one of the SRAM ones. They have a plastic carrier and should work ok.

g'luck

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you're a strong rider, be carful with the 16t cog. It's not on the spider, and with a low gear (22/16) you can cause some damage. (I managed to machine the serrations off an aluminum casette body!)

-b

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep, just changed to XTR...

Thanks for posting this thread--as soon as I read it, I changed my cassette from the 12-27 to a 11-32 XTR. I couldn't believe that the cogs had already set into the freehub body after only one 3.5 hour ride! So the moral of the story is, aluminum freehub bodies + road cassettes don not work.....I really wish shimano made a 11-29 cassette for mtb...

·
LE Reporter
81 Posts
Why is XT less problematic than Ultegra?

Hi guys,

I didn't quite get what the advantage of a mbt cassette is regarding damage of alloy freewheel body.

The recent XT 11-32t cassette (CS-M760) has 18, 21, 24, 28, 32t on a spider, but the 16, 14, 12, and 11t are single sprockets.

So the single 15t of the Ultegra should not cause more problems than the single 16t of the XT. Is the double 19/17 of the Ultegra the one which will make (more) trouble?

Thanks for advice

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the ultegra only has 3 cogs on a spider, the XT has 5. So the high-torque cogs are spidered, the others are lower torque cogs. It will still scar the hub, but that's not a problem for me. I've switched my kings around, classic on XC now and ISO on trials bike. I run a King Kog on the trials bike but when I ran ultegra 12-21s on there it still dug into the shell. using a 22/18 or 22/19 ratio with that sort of torque will scar anything though.

anyway King specifically mentions the XT as an example of a spidered cassette in their manual, if that means anything.

- Joel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.