Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in UK 'Curiak'/Trans-Iowa-a-like events.

Are there any already organised? Who'd be interested and what sort of riding would you be looking for?

I'm thinking or 'organising' a Darlington-Tan Hill-Darlington ride, using back roads, easy trails and Sustrans routes. Would anyone be interested in that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Tan Hill ride's only a day, but I've been looking for a way to get from the W2W route to join the C2C near Nenthead and then from Consett back down to the W2W to make a big loop.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
I thought it was time to have an event like this in the UK. Trans-Wales / Scotland does not count due to all the support / way marked trails / entry cost (@$800!)

My route will probably start in Gloucestershire and take in the FoD and possibly a raid into Wales for good measure. The only problem I have so far is the lack of crossing places of the river Severn (Glos city or Haw bridge a few miles north are the closest)

Gravel roads, while plentiful in FoD are pretty hit and miss else where, esp on the flat land around Cheltenham and Gloucester. On the hills on the Chelt side there are a few more but all heading the wrong way! Small country roads are plentiful (apart from the bottle neck mentioned above) and range from good condition to only one step away from unclassified....you can ride it on 23c slicks but it will hurt.

As to navigation making route cards would be possible but a series of small maps with optional GPS files might be best. All the navigation I have done on long trips has been "village hopping" and heading the sort of right direction! The Audax route cards I have range from easy and clear to a night mare unless you have pre-ridden the route. What makes sense to me may baffle you :rolleyes:

I guess the only other question is when; for Mike I guess the school holidays are best and some time around late Aug gets my vote.

Quite a lot of stream-of-conciousness there but feel free to throw in some ideas.

Alex

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My summer's weird though; break up on Friday 6th July and start back on Thursday 16th August.

To be honest, I doubt my legs would cope with a huge ride this year. I'll have to see how many miles I get in through the spring. More than last year, hopefully.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ooh ooh me too!

There was a thread on singletrackworld a while back, can't find it now and couldn't log in for some dumb reason, seemed a few people had ideas... I've reccied 75% of a coast2coast, tale of two moors type ride from plymouth-dartmoor-exmoor-porlock that we reckon should be doable in 18-24 ish hours. Great mix of sustrans, old railways, doubletrack and some ace singletrack (including my favourite 4mile mostly singletrack descent in the UK ever TM as the last push bit into Porlock), but a fair amount of tarmac too especially in the middle as there aren't that many bridleways etc between the two moors. Don't know if that would put people off or not. Also been pushing further and further out from Bristol on almost entirely offroad, close to 50% singletrack routes, got a nice 100k route to the mendips, 150k including loops on the mendips, and this summer will extend it to the quantocks and maybe exmoor (and even dartmoor!) too... Interested to hear about any other happenings though.

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.