Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Strength, weight, durability, ease of maintenance...

Upchuck said:
So if money is no object, what hubs/rims would you (did you) build up for your SS?

Is your choice influenced by weight, strength, bling-factor, or all of the above?
Best set of wheels I've ever had are my King SS non-disc 32h hubs laced to Bonti Valient rims by Dave of Dave's Wheels.

Super durable and very fast and light.

I like the non-dish of V wheels. Maybe I need to ride smoother but I have the hardest time keeping both front and rear wheels in true. I've always had the best luck with non-disc setups.

SS King hubs. Second to none IMO.

32 hole hubs with slightly thicker spokes (36 hole rims with very thin spoke seem to have higher spoke failure rates).

All the spokes are the same gauge and length. Easy to repair.

Valient rims are light and tough. The internal width is wider than most xc rims (albeit by just a bit).

On paper these wheels rock. On dirt they are even better.

If there was a dishles front disc set up I'd consider it.

Couldn't care less about bling.

Mike

·
Registered
182 Posts
The ultimate wheel build would be built to your weight and riding needs.

Ideally a dishless rear wheel would be the ultimate in terms of strength to weight ratio and allow you to use a slightly more butted (lighter spoke) to achieve good strenght....but you still need to approximate spoke diams given the hub and rim strength.

If you have bucks......id start with a 32 hole king or dt ss hub.....sapim cxrays or dt aerolites and a mavic rim. IF You crunch that too quickly-- then choose slightly stronger spokes until you get to a butting or diameter that is holding up.

If you have no dollars.... start with 36hole and some straight guage 2.0s and you probably wont have to worry about a wheelset for years.

If you give your weight and riding terrain/style someone could probably point you in the right direction.

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
King ISO disc hubs w/spacers for the rear, WTB Laser Discs, DT Comp X3 and brass nips has been bombproof for me (a bit larger than the other kids my age) going on 4 years now. The King hubs do require a fair amount of attention if they're ridden in wet conditions-a thorough de-gunking takes about 15 minutes every 500 sloppy miles or so.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My SS wheels are nothing special, but on my geared bike I don't think you can beat the combination of strength, cost, and durability that I have. Hadley hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.1 rims with DT Comp double butted spokes. It's a 1700g wheel that is absolutely bombproof for me who happens to be slightly under the Clydesdale classification. The Hadley hubs have the bling factor and durability of the Kings, with some features I like even better, yet were significantly less $$$ than the Kings. The DT Swiss rims are incredible in their machining precision, you have to search pretty hard to locate a seam. I had mine built up by Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery, who has an excellent reputation over at the wheels/tires forum.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Stan's notubes..

Upchuck said:
So if money is no object, what hubs/rims would you (did you) build up for your SS?

Is your choice influenced by weight, strength, bling-factor, or all of the above?
The Stan's NoTube rim and DT Swiss Hugi 240; as light as it gets and tubeless.; about $650 out the door.

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rogueturtle said:
If you give your weight and riding terrain/style someone could probably point you in the right direction.
OK, I weigh 185 lbs with gear, SoCal dry rocky conditions, rigid SS, ride hard on the climbs and descents.

So far, DT has certainly garnered a lot of respect from those of you who responded.

·
Mashers Only!!
578 Posts
Upchuck said:

O.K.
For my 26er I got King ISO front,King SS Disc rear(both green), Black Sapim C-X Ray spokes 3 cross, Green Alu. nipples, and Black disc only 32 hole DT 4.1 rims.

For my 29er I got King ISO front,King SS Disc rear(both pink), Black Sapim C-X Ray spokes 3 cross, Pink Alu. nipples, and Black disc only 32 hole Salsa Delgado rims.

I go for Strength, Bling, and weight in that order. Both have Boon cogs and Magura Marta SL rotors with ti bolts.. I like building with the Sapim spokes.

HUGH
:)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Burkeman said:
My SS wheels are nothing special, but on my geared bike I don't think you can beat the combination of strength, cost, and durability that I have. Hadley hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.1 rims with DT Comp double butted spokes. It's a 1700g wheel that is absolutely bombproof for me who happens to be slightly under the Clydesdale classification. The Hadley hubs have the bling factor and durability of the Kings, with some features I like even better, yet were significantly less $$$ than the Kings. The DT Swiss rims are incredible in their machining precision, you have to search pretty hard to locate a seam. I had mine built up by Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery, who has an excellent reputation over at the wheels/tires forum.
I had that same wheelset built by Larry and I couldn't be happier. I too am just under the Clydesdale class and have ridden these wheels on some pretty rocky stuff. I am very happy with them. Maybe it is just me, but they actually seem to pick up speed when I am coasting.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Vince, I would just have Hugh build you some wheels....they looked mighty schweet up close :)

Either what Hugh has or Industry Nines are really nice. Great engagement with excellent customer service. Long term reliability TBD of course as they are a new company but so far so good for many folks.

·
Mashers Only!!
578 Posts
I was thinking about going Industry Nine wheels. But I'm sitting here looking at five sets of King built wheels. I have all the spare parts and seals for them. I also have the killer tool to service them. They have been bomb proof as well. I'm just too deep into Kings.
The I9s would be my second choice. We will see in a year or so how things hold up on them. Oh and they have purple!!!! Damit I want purple!

HUGH
:)

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Industry Nine 13 months on...

I've been hammering my I-9 29er wheels for over a year in the rooty, rocky Pisgah NF with no problems. I've trued them twice, had no broken spokes, love the engagement and enjoy the stiffness (who doesn't enjoy the stiffness?). Good stuff. Good guys.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Singletrack Pig said:
I've been hammering my I-9 29er wheels for over a year in the rooty, rocky Pisgah NF with no problems. I've trued them twice, had no broken spokes, love the engagement and enjoy the stiffness (who doesn't enjoy the stiffness?). Good stuff. Good guys.
good to hear....you are one of the longer-ish timers with I9s...

I would LOVE to get a set for my newest bike......must.....resist.....

it will be interesting....Upchuck is a weak man :) I think I will bring my I9-wheeled bike tomorrow to let him check it out. I cant imagine a better wheelset. My only complaint is how TOUGH it is to get a cog on or off the freehub.....real bummer if you are a regular cog changer but fortunately i am not so no big deal.

otherwise, King has to be the best SS way to go. Too bad Tune does not make a SS hub (or do they?).

cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am running Bontrager Valiants on WI hubs built by Dave.
I can't recommend Dave enough. He will build you the lightest, best handling, most durable wheelset that you can get at any price point. Unless you really know your sh!t and are building them yourself. Definitely save $$ that way.

If I could afford them, I probably would have gotten King or DT hubs... with Valiants (b/c Dave says they're good)... built by Dave.

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.