Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
College
1,198 Posts
I've always wondered if those things are actually stiff. I've heard many people on this board say that those are very stiff cranks, but even on middleburn's own website under the reviews section they say the crank arms are a bit flexy. The reasons why i would buy a set is because of the lifetime warranty that covers everything, the clean looks, and chain ring options, but the question still remains if they are flexier than say a shimano LX. Yeah that's largely dependant on the BB used, but just considering the arms themselves, i wonder which is the stiffer crank.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Length: 175mm, also available in 165, 170 and 180. See www.middleburn.co.uk for more info. These are the RS7 model - available in square taper or ISIS. I chose ISIS because I have several ISIS BBs laying around the workbench. Almost chose square taper and a Phil Wood SS BB.

Purchased from: Alex Nutt at www.mtbtandems.com, Middleburn's US distributor. Also a strong Ventana rep.

Price: Not to be coy, but ask Alex.

Destination: On my El Cap for 1x9 use. Running a 32t right now but the 29t yields a better chainline for the majority of my trails (more time spent mid-cassette) and a broader functional gear range for my 1x9 set up. If they behave, they'll go on my pending SS as well.

Stiffness: TBD - didn't get around to installing today. I'll be comparing vs. the Turbines they're replacing. Alex believes they're every bit as stiff if not stiffer.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Soupboy said:
Running a 32t right now but the 29t yields a better chainline for the majority of my trails (most time spent mid-cassette) and a broader functional gear range for my 1x9 set up.
How do fewer teeth have any effect on the chainline?

I'm going to try 1x9 as well. Looks like a great setup. I'm going to try a 30 tooth ring on my current cranks in the granny position. I think it will work because of the 116mm BB i've already been using, but we shall see...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have been more clear. The smaller front ring in a 1x9, for me, allows me to spend more time with the chain riding in the middle rear cogs vs. the upper rear cogs. That's the chainline improvement I was referring to.

In my experience, riders tend to spend most of their time in relatively few ring/cog combos. If I can improve the chainline for "most" of the time I should see improved driveline life ta boot.

Wish I Were Riding said:
How do fewer teeth have any effect on the chainline?

I'm going to try 1x9 as well. Looks like a great setup. I'm going to try a 30 tooth ring on my current cranks in the granny position. I think it will work because of the 116mm BB i've already been using, but we shall see...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
Soupboy said:
Stiffness: TBD - didn't get around to installing today. I'll be comparing vs. the Turbines they're replacing. Alex believes they're every bit as stiff if not stiffer.
Good luck

The middleburn design can't compete with some of the larger I-beam types, and especially can't complete against the hollow cranks. There just isn't anywhere near the surface area, so they don't get anywhere near the stiffness. Those remind me of my old sugino cranks.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Soupboy said:
I should have been more clear. The smaller front ring in a 1x9, for me, allows me to spend more time with the chain riding in the middle rear cogs vs. the upper rear cogs. That's the chainline improvement I was referring to.

In my experience, riders tend to spend most of their time in relatively few ring/cog combos. If I can improve the chainline for "most" of the time I should see improved driveline life ta boot.
AHHH,
makes more sence to my tiny brain now. That's what I hope to do as well.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We'll see. I currently own Turbines, Holzfellers, Atlas (X-Type) and now these. I've owned every other flavor of the day save Profile and Azonic cro-mos.

Not sure how you validate your assertion that this design "can't compete with some of the larger I-beam types". If you look at the backside of these cranks they're very similar to Turbines. I don't want/need Saint/Hone/Profile/Azonic excess burlyness.

You have to make it apples to apples.

FWIW I don't find the Atlas any stiffer than anything else I've ridden to date and they're "All-Mountain, Light Freeride", whatever that means.

I think you are a xenophobe.

Jayem said:
Good luck

The middleburn design can't compete with some of the larger I-beam types, and especially can't complete against the hollow cranks. There just isn't anywhere near the surface area, so they don't get anywhere near the stiffness. Those remind me of my old sugino cranks.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
b12yan88 said:
Hey Soupboy, can you do a stiffness comparison of the cranks that you currently own with your middle burns after you have thoroughly abused the snot out of them>
I'll do my best. Any comparo would be best done on a rigid SS (which still might happen) where you're really jamming on the cranks and not losing sensation to FS travel.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Here's a link to MTB Tandems Middleburn page - with prices.

http://www.mtbtandems.com/Middleburn.html

Assuming the info is up to date, looks like $199 (on special) for the setup shown.

Anyone know if the mounting pattern for the Middleburn single ring is the same as the old XTRs, WI's - and available in Ti from Boone? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Jayem said:
Good luck

Uh ya.....
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you.

My RF Turbines were flexy as heck.

But this is all moot.

One, extra special, super-duper reason for the Middleburns beyond their sweet warranty on the RS-8's...is the availability of a compact spider allowing better 29er friendly ring sizes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jayem said:
Good luck

I would like distinct clarification on how you came up with this conclusion. A blanket and emphatic statement does require staistical proof surely.

Anyway I have owned,ridden and sometimes broken in the last 3 years, 2 sets of M960 XTRs, 1 x Set M760 XTs, 3 x Sets of Deus's, 1 x set Atlas, 1 x set of Evolve Xtype. Most of the breakages were killing BBs 5 x XTRs, 2 x XT, 3 x Racefaces (total across all sets) countless sets of chainrings and Loosenes the spindle in 1 set of XTRs and the Xtypes which were both replaced under warranty.

Side note Phill Wood will shortly e offering bearing upgrade kits that can be retofitted into all External BBs in the next few weeks. Enduro already do this and are heaps better than stock bearings.

Okay now I have Middleburns across the board on all of my bikes RS8s on the Niner and Moots, RS7s on the Blacksheep and Ventana El Patron. I prefer the ISIS as they seem a spot stiffer than the Squrae Tapers mounted to a Phil Wood which I hda 2 sets and have swapped them for ISIS with SKF 600 Stainless BBS. That setup feels and rides as stiff as any of the external BB sets listed above. Machine based statistical measureing may provide different data I do not know but these are bloody stiff and direct. To me I can't tell the differnce, not like I could on some of the older cranks I have had.I ride Egg beaters both candys and standards and have bent axles on these but never a crank etc. I love these with the SKF and a full set up with BB is just a spot over 800g. I run either SS or a 2x9 and in that it is 735g inc ti crankbolts.

BOONE RINGS, yes they are available I have a few already for these. Just need to specify.

Middleburn have finalsed desighn and are in the final satges of prototype testing an external bearing crank as well. They will offer both RS7 and 8 versions but no BB straight away. It will work with other brand BBs. The design should provide easier recognition between the 7 and 8 aesthetically as well. These are still about 4-6mths away from being avalable for sale but they are coming. After the experiances I have had with teh SKF and Middleburn setups though I will not be rushing to change.

SKFs are heavy 113mm XC 229g but so sweet. No issues at all as of yet with 1 set already clocking up 4000km.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
endure26 said:
Anyone know if the mounting pattern for the Middleburn single ring is the same as the old XTRs, WI's - and available in Ti from Boone? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Not sure if the pattern is identical, but it mounts up the same way (BB tool). I still haven't gotten around to mounting them yet. I'm also waiting on a Rohloff chain guide to use in lieu of basher and Jumpstop. The Rohloff guide isn't necessary, I'm just being lazy. I also have the spider that lets me run standard 3-ring or 2-ring+basher set ups.

The reason I went for them was because they're the only current mfr that makes 94bcd hardware - let's me run funky 29er friendly gearing - i.e. the 29t middle.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Duly noted, that factoid had slipped my mind.

In that spirit, I just wanted to point out that my bike is shinier, sexier, faster, lighter, stronger, stiffer, more plusherer, burlier, flickier and generally more handsome than anyone else's in the world...ever...forever.

Too bad I'm such a lazy fat beast.

FoShizzle said:
no need for him to....this is mtbr.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.