Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.....I made the decision (mistake?) to try out the SS thing.....and really dig it.

I bought a used SS to try it out to see if I like it and now that I do, upgradeitis is spreading like wildfire to this new part of my being.....

I am thinking about cannibalizing my newly built Element to make for a sweet, light SS. Since I have the X-5, just not sure how much ride time the RM will get now that I am into SSing. I would probably sell the drivetrain stuff, frame, and rear King hub and have a new King SS hub laced onto that beautiful wheel Larry built.

While this project would result in a loss of a light FS rig, I would have money to spare , especially since I would then also sell the newly purchased Surly I bought.

Among the frames I would consider are the El Toro. I think I definitely want an EBB setup but am a bit concerned about a harsh ride on my buttocks......would steel or Ti be a better move? Anybody riding an El Toro.....

Cheers
 

· Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Well I did. Just sold it. NIce bike. Very easy to maintain and quite the rocketship. I had to face the disc brake mount though. Not a big deal, but I couldn't mount the brake until I did so.
 

Attachments

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AteMrYeats said:
Well I did. Just sold it. NIce bike. Very easy to maintain and quite the rocketship. I had to face the disc brake mount though. Not a big deal, but I couldn't mount the brake until I did so.
thanks. would you say it rode noticeably more harsh than a steel or Ti SS?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Yes. Sorry if that isn't the answer you want. It has its benefits though: it won't rust; it's pretty light; fairly cheap; it climbs like crazy. I really did enjoy my three seasons on my El Toro. I would recommend one to you unless you need that steel/ti plush.
 

· Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
I just PM'd Fo...

cbrossman said:
Seems to me like most folks just put bigger, higher volume tires on to take the edge off the ride.
The same thought.

I went up to 2.3 Conti, but in all honesty, the Frame is so uber-stiff, that although a big soft tire helps its still gonna be "harsher" than a Quality Steel or Ti frame. I personaly am glad to have the addtional strength and sacrafice the "smoothness" But then Strength always tends to be my first criteria as I am a clyde.

-A
 

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
The same thought.

I went up to 2.3 Conti, but in all honesty, the Frame is so uber-stiff, that although a big soft tire helps its still gonna be "harsher" than a Quality Steel or Ti frame. I personaly am glad to have the addtional strength and sacrafice the "smoothness" But then Strength always tends to be my first criteria as I am a clyde.

-A
Thanks so much for the info....and in particular, the PM you sent.

However, since according to El Beastro I am a girly-man, not sure I will appreciate the added stiffness. I am currently leaning towards a Dean Colonel Ti SS with EBB or Sycip steel frame.....or perhaps another as my research progresses.

Cheers
 

· Ultra Ventanaphile
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
No problem..

FoShizzle said:
Thanks so much for the info....and in particular, the PM you sent.

However, since according to El Beastro I am a girly-man, not sure I will appreciate the added stiffness. I am currently leaning towards a Dean Colonel Ti SS with EBB or Sycip steel frame.....or perhaps another as my research progresses.

Cheers
First your welcome.

Second, I can completely understand your line of thinking. As I mentioned to you, my first two attempts at SS were on Steel. For a reason. The unfortunate circumstance that my second SS was stolen and the fortunate circumstance that Ventana offered me an outstanding deal is what gave me the final push to switch to Alu and I'm glad I did. If I get into SS more than I do now, I may change my mind and want something "smoother".

-A
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Couple other options

FoShizzle said:
Thanks so much for the info....and in particular, the PM you sent.

However, since according to El Beastro I am a girly-man, not sure I will appreciate the added stiffness. I am currently leaning towards a Dean Colonel Ti SS with EBB or Sycip steel frame.....or perhaps another as my research progresses.

Cheers
At that price range you could get an IF Deluxe Steel frame or a Titus Ti HCR. Cool thing about the HCR (like the Dean) is that it has interchangable dropouts so you can switch between SS and Gears. I don't believe they offer an EBB. I think IF offers either horizonal dropouts or EBB and fully custom geometry.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
10,899 Posts
Alu frames won't ride as comfortably over extended rough terrain, no matter how big a tire you run. the inherent relative lack of damping still gets transmitted. if you go to thick casing true DH tires you MIGHT numb out enough to get closer to steel, but the steel framed bike could still be running thin sidewall XC tires!

I think it really comes down to whether you care about the vibes that Alu bikes transmit to your feet, hands, arse, etc.
 

· Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gonzostrike said:
Alu frames won't ride as comfortably over extended rough terrain, no matter how big a tire you run. the inherent relative lack of damping still gets transmitted. if you go to thick casing true DH tires you MIGHT numb out enough to get closer to steel, but the steel framed bike could still be running thin sidewall XC tires!

I think it really comes down to whether you care about the vibes that Alu bikes transmit to your feet, hands, arse, etc.
thanks.....that is what I have arrived at. At this point, I am looking seriously at the Dean Colonel SS or the Phil Wood Kissoff
 

· Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
If Sherwood were to do one in steel...

....I think alot of people would jump at the Toro. I know I would. He's already doing a steel Conquistador with S&S couplers, so.....

I'll try to zap you an email soon Aaron. My house is really starting to look good (not that you know how crappy it looked before:))

Feel the 33 year old Speyside

Ciclistagonzo said:
First your welcome.

Second, I can completely understand your line of thinking. As I mentioned to you, my first two attempts at SS were on Steel. For a reason. The unfortunate circumstance that my second SS was stolen and the fortunate circumstance that Ventana offered me an outstanding deal is what gave me the final push to switch to Alu and I'm glad I did. If I get into SS more than I do now, I may change my mind and want something "smoother".

-A
 

· orthonormal
Joined
·
5,145 Posts
******* said:
....I think alot of people would jump at the Toro. I know I would. He's already doing a steel Conquistador with S&S couplers, so.....

I'll try to zap you an email soon Aaron. My house is really starting to look good (not that you know how crappy it looked before:))

Feel the 33 year old Speyside
El Ferro!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top