Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered these and thought I'd better check my frame clearance in the back of my Rans. I stuck a Xerolite 700c rear in there and it appears I have about 40mm of clearance from the outer edge the clincher rim to the chainstay and seat stay cross supports.

Can anyone tell me what the height of installed Schwalbe Racing Ralphs in the 29x2.25 size is? (Fingers crossed!)

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
My Little Alberts are 29x2.1 and they are ~43mm from the edge of my VXC to the outtermost reaches of the knobs. The rim profile will definitely make a difference and i think the RR knobs are lower than on the Alberts, but it sounds like you'll be cutting it very close if it does fit.
If they end up not working, I was just about to buy a pair, so PM me if you want to sell them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
meltingfeather said:
My Little Alberts are 29x2.1 and they are ~43mm from the edge of my VXC to the outtermost reaches of the knobs. The rim profile will definitely make a difference and i think the RR knobs are lower than on the Alberts, but it sounds like you'll be cutting it very close if it does fit.
If they end up not working, I was just about to buy a pair, so PM me if you want to sell them.
Thanks for that info. The RR's have shipped, so I'll know next week if they work or not.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
clubnobbie said:
Just ordered these and thought I'd better check my frame clearance in the back of my Rans. I stuck a Xerolite 700c rear in there and it appears I have about 40mm of clearance from the outer edge the clincher rim to the chainstay and seat stay cross supports.

Can anyone tell me what the height of installed Schwalbe Racing Ralphs in the 29x2.25 size is? (Fingers crossed!)
From the top edge of the rim to the top of the tire, my RR 2.25 on a Delgado Disc measures about 50-51mm in height.

BB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, here we go now. I acquired an aluminum 2008 Rans Blue Dynamik frameset. Purchased a disc-only Vuelta Team SL 29er wheelset and a couple of Schwalbe Racing Ralph ATB tires in the 29x2.25 size. Mounted and inflated the tires to approx 40psi and placed the assembly on the Dynamik.

Not too bad!

Uh oh!

Hmmmm....

Okay, looking for suggestions. Do I remove the cross braces entirely? Or can I file a notch into the two tubes enough to clear the tire knobs?

It looks like I'd only have to trim to the holes. Since I'm using disc brakes, I don't need to mount anything there. What do you all think? It won't be as strong as it was whole, but, I'm not sure if there's that much stress placed on them to be any issue at all.

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
clubnobbie said:
Uh oh!

Hmmmm....

Okay, looking for suggestions. Do I remove the cross braces entirely? Or can I file a notch into the two tubes enough to clear the tire knobs?

It looks like I'd only have to trim to the holes. Since I'm using disc brakes, I don't need to mount anything there. What do you all think? It won't be as strong as it was whole, but, I'm not sure if there's that much stress placed on them to be any issue at all.
The simple suggestion is to man up and buy a 29"er frame. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SingingSingleTracker said:
The simple suggestion is to man up and buy a 29"er frame. :rolleyes:
That would be the weaksauce way to go, huh? :bluefrown:

Rans is developing a 29er frame right now. I'm in contact with the owner to be a beta tester. In the meantime, I'm seeing what can be done with his existing product.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
clubnobbie said:

I wouldn't remove or notch the bridges, especially with the length of those chainstays, though that seems to be your only option if you're dead set on those tires. Frame warranty = out the window and the strength of the rear t will definitely be compromised, I guess the question is, "how much?"
If you need to get rid of those tires, let me know. ;)

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
fmunk said:
So you're offering to send clubnobbie a blank personal check to pay for the new 29er frame that doesn't even exist from the manufacturer? :rolleyes:
No. I want to see him mess around spending lots of ducats on trying to force a very oddly conceived Rans frame not designed to be a two niner into a two niner. It is much more fun this way:D :D :D :D

But I would be happy to chip in for a beer and chips to watch anyone ride a Rans on technical singletrack at top speed - no matter what the wheel size. At least they all come with toilet seats on them instead of a saddle.:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

No thank you on this kit for mountain biking...

Attachments

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
fmunk said:
I don't think anyone asked if you would buy one for yourself. Reading comprehension?
No, I don't have a reading comprehension problem. But, I can voice my opinion in a free country regarding two niners and what I think of throwing money at an odd concept. Especially with the amount of ducats required to purchase racing ralph tires.

What's up with you fmunk? Are you a Rans lover and the entire concept?

·
Registered
24 Posts
SingingSingleTracker said:
What's up with you fmunk? Are you a Rans lover and the entire concept?
No, not a Rans-lover. I just have a problem with people who can't simply deal with what is being asked without interjecting his/her own irrelevant opinion.

The question being posed is a practical one (as in: how can I make this tire/frame combination work), not whether a crank-forward is suitable for technical single-track (I agree with you on that point, but it's irrelevant). The original poster did not even mention or suggest any intention of using the bike for technical single-track. You are a single-tracker and you automatically assumed there are no other possible uses for the bike and passed judgement based on your personal tastes. Hence, "I don't think anyone asked if you would buy one for yourself."

For bombing down SoCal fire roads, the stretched out format of the Rans is probably just fine.

Clear enough?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.