Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston, we have a problem. Here`s my situation: I have a Marathon SL (`04 85mm) that I was trying to change the oil in. I`ve never done that before, so I was following a great guide that I found on a link here at mtbr. The link gave nice instructions for an `03 Marathon S and said that there were very few differences for `04. Unfortunately, the S and SL are apparently very different, so it wasn`t going as planned, but I decided to continue anyway.

In my SL, I didn`t see any springs or spacers and the rods don`t seem like they want to come out, so I left them in place. I dumped out the old oil and there seems to have been very little in the left leg, but I was trying to pay attention to where the oil was going more than where it was comming from, so I can`t say for sure. Besides that, I bought the fork used and I don`t know it`s history, so I figured maybe a lot had leaked out. I put some new oil in the right leg, worked the rod a bit, engaged the lever (ECC5), worked it some more, then filled it to 55mm from the top. After putting some oil in the left leg, I tried to work the rod and the piston just wanted to pull the oil out the top of the tube. I tried to work it a bit more because I thought that maybe it just had to work through some valves slowly or something, but it didn`t seem to want to go to the bottom. Here, I started wondering if maybe only the right leg is supposed to get oil in my model, so I capped the right side, turned the fork over again and drained out the new oil from the left leg, working the rod a few more times. Whether there was a problem before or I just caused one, something is wrong now.

I pressurized the air valves and dinked around a little to get it more or less rideable and took it for a few laps around the yard. Currently, I have about 30 PSI bottom side (preload?) of the left leg and like ten PSI in each of the top ends (rebound?) and it`s very squishy but gives full travel. Before I messed with it, I had a lot of pressure in the top and very little in the bottom and I still could only get about 1 1/2 inches of travel.

So, is there supposed to be oil in both legs? If there is, what can I do about getting it into the left leg? If not, how do I get that leg apart to clean out the oil that I dumped in by mistake? Since I worked the rod with the oil in it I imagine some got behind the piston and into where it isn`t supposed to be and there`s no way that I managed to get it all out just by turning it upside down and pumping the rod. Also, the guide I was going to follow says that the oil should be between 45mm and 55mm from the top of the legs (both legs on his), but that was for a 105mm. Would that be the same measure for an 85mm fork? If anyone can advise me here, I would really appreciate it because I have no clue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
I have about 30 PSI bottom side (preload?) of the left leg and like ten PSI in each of the top ends (rebound?) and it`s very squishy but gives full travel.
More PSI = Less SSI (I made that up...Squish per Square Inch.) Basically, add more pressure. The marathons can clearly handle it; or at least if your running such a low pressure at the moment.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that might be needed, but there`s still a problem with the oil. Either I need to get rid of what I put in by mistake (possible) or I need to fix what-ever is wrong that `s preventing me from filling it (more likely), then mess with the pressures.

·
Registered
187 Posts
True, But the oil is such a harmless substance, that even if it was in there it would only keep things lubricated. The only potential problem that could be encountered is if there is a sensitive air valve in there that could be exposed to the oil, which in return could cause some damping, bound, and/or rebound issues. Chances are that with an air fork, Marzocchi probably designed it so that if oil is accidentally put in there when not needed, the air chamber is uneffected. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought ahead about that potential issue.

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
It's supposed to have oil in both sides. Oil is to be filled 55mm (lighter rider easier to bottom) to 45mm (heavier rider harder to bottom) from the bottom of the threads in the top of the stanchions, depending on you weight and riding style. Or you can fill using cc of oil which is the same as ml. 150ml(cc) in both side. Hear is a link to marzocchis site where they tell you how much oil to put in both sides
http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?LN=UK&Sito=usa-mtb&Y=2003

I had a 03 Z1 Sl, same fork internally and changed the oil in it once with out any problems. The ECC side was a little trickier, but not to bad, I do not know or understand what is blocking the oil from entering on the side you are having problems with.
Buena suete
Bunk

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ah ha! Thanks, Farmboy. On the link you posted, I see that Marz. specd 150ml in the right leg and only 50ml in the left. I bet i just had so much that it didn`t all fit where it was supposed to go, that`s why it wanted to overflow. No mention of how many mm from the top, so I`ll have to find some way to measure the volume. I`m off to the kitchen (then maybe the supermarket) to find something packaged in a 50ml bottle, then I`ll try it again.
Gracias.
Rodar

EDIT: Thank you too, 5point5. It`s that possibility of clogging up air valves that I was concerned about as far as having oil where it was intended to be dry.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. That was all that was wrong. I put 50ml of oil in the other leg, pumped it up and it seemed good, so this morning I took it out on the trail for a decent ride. Works just fine now and gets full travel- eighty-five angry milimeters.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
dude the bottm left leg is your par setting (bottom out resistance) it shouldnt need that much air. You should have 3 valves on top 2 on the left and one on the right the 2 out valves are positive spring (usually about 30psi is a good starting point) the middle one on the left is neg air usually 3x pos is good up to 150 psi. Get your sag set and then fill the bottom left as needed to prevent bottoming.

your oil lvls should be 50cc on the left and then 50mm from the top on the right (more accurate to use the top lvl method on the right since the marz cc chart is classically wrong).

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I needed that much air when I didn`t have any oil in the left leg. Right now I have 30psi all the way around and I`m happy as a clam, but it`s simple enough to try 60 to 90 in the Neg chamber and it`ll be plenty easy to go back if I don`t like it. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.